Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment in WI/IL area

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012 | 08:09 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Default Alignment in WI/IL area

My Indy tried to align my 993. He tried his best, but unfortunately, it's worse than before I took it in. Can someone recommend a good alignment place in the WI or IL area? I would really like to take it to someplace that knows 993's. TIA.
Old 10-08-2012 | 12:18 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

I use Midwest Eurosport in the Chicago area. I had a couple of failed attempts at other shops, but since they did mine it has been spot-on.
Old 10-08-2012 | 05:35 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Call Dean At Fabson Engineering in Cedarburg. High quality and honest.
Old 10-08-2012 | 06:36 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

What about Kelly Moss Racing? I had them do a PPI and store a car for me a couple years ago and my dealings with them were good. Not sure how many 993 race cars they service but they might be worth a call to see if they have a k-toe tool...if they don't know what your talking about then there's your answer
Old 10-08-2012 | 08:52 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ble2011
My Indy tried to align my 993. He tried his best, but unfortunately, it's worse than before I took it in. Can someone recommend a good alignment place in the WI or IL area? I would really like to take it to someplace that knows 993's. TIA.
Who is your indy?
Old 10-08-2012 | 10:47 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

+ 1 Midwest Eurosport - they have experience with 993s
Old 10-08-2012 | 10:50 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Can't go wrong with either Midwest Eurosport or Kelly Moss. It's really a matter of which is most convenient to you.
Old 10-08-2012 | 11:16 PM
Kiwiinchicago
Rennlist Member

Loeber Motors in Lincolnwood are also good. My C4S is there at the moment getting tires and alignment
Old 10-09-2012 | 01:19 PM
ble2011
Drifting

I'll try talking to Dean at Fabson Engineering in Cedarburg first because they are local. Never been there before. Then I will try Midwest Eurosport. Kelly Moss was my first choice, but they informed me they no longer do alignments on road cars, only track cars. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 08-29-2013 | 10:40 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

...so where did you end up going for the alignment and how did it turn out?
Old 08-30-2013 | 07:39 PM
ble2011
Drifting

I was going to wait to post because I wanted to evaluate the 993 some more (I just got it back on Monday). But here goes. As far as the FSD shocks, they provide a firm ride and you still feel the bumps in the road, but the bumps are far less harsh compared to my original shocks. I had them installed along with an alignment at Fabson Engineering in Cedarburg, WI. The shop is very small and only has 2 employees – Dean and Dave. I drove to their shop and talked to Dave and made an appointment. When I called a day in advance of my appointment to make sure they were ready, I was told that they could not take me the next day. I made another appointment. When I bought the car in, Dean asked if I could bring it back in 2 days because it’s supposed to rain. He said they have a lot of race cars that cannot be outside in the rain because they have no windows. I told him I cannot make arrangements again. We worked out a deal where I let him take my 993 and park it in his garage at home. I asked if there is an invoice to sign and he said no, they work on a handshake. I know what you guys are thinking, but trust is high around here. On the plus side, this gives him a good feel of how my car currently handles. After the next few days, they installed the shocks and did a 4 wheel alignment. I confirmed that they know how and used the kinematic tool. After driving for a few days, I noticed that it didn’t feel “right”. It seemed to want to follow the high sides of the road and felt “skittish. I called Fabson and explained my concerns and dropped the car off again. I got a call the next day and was told that he didn’t feel anything odd in how it drove. I then explained some of the roads where I felt the issues and he said he normally has a small loop he drives, but it wasn’t any of the roads that I mentioned. He must have gone out and drove on those roads because I got a call later in the day. He said he’s having another look at it and is having trouble dialing in enough caster. Dean said he could try installing new ball joints as he has had some success with a little play that new ones sometime have. But, that would have to be my call and there is no guarantee. I said to go ahead. Then next day I got a call saying the inner tie rods are shot and he would have to replace them. I said to go ahead. Long story short, the vehicle now drives fantastic. It drives dead straight and imparts a high level of confidence. It feels like a new vehicle. I know this is long, but I want to post the complete story so anyone who goes there will know what they are in for. What impressed me the most is Dean’s honesty and concern that I’m happy with the vehicle. I will return to them for any work that may need to be done in the future and will recommend them to anyone.

Quick Reply: Alignment in WI/IL area