Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Remove & sell C4S factory aerokit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 AM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remove & sell C4S factory aerokit?

I'm looking at buying a 1998 C4S w factory aerokit...but I hate the wing. Anybody removed a rear wing? Is this a DIY? Comment on any pitfalls such as sourcing a factory rear decklid. Can I sell the rear wing and is there a market for it? Will its sale price pay for the cost of the 'normal' rear spoiler?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

most would suggest saving the wing, so any future sale of the car includes all the stock bits-but that's up to you. Regarding sourcing a replacement rear deck, they're for sale on here all the time. If you choose to not save the aero wing, you could probably find someone willing to trade + $.

Simple replacement bolt on/off project. A replacement deck that is complete-motor/harness/etc, can be pricey...and you'll have to add the spoiler switch in the center console also.

Maybe that isn't so straight forward, although I imagine the wiring must be there.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pics.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

my car came with the stock deck and a deck with the aero wing.

i simply swapped decks.

i think you may need to swap decks too?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You HAVE to swap the deck. The OE aerowing base is not bolted in like aftermarket. You can, however remove the part of the wing (top section) by 4x allen bolts from the underside. I am in process of developing caps for the base to finish off the sides for those who do not like the double decker look. (I am one of them) and have ben looking for a damaged top section I can canabalize for the interface with the base.

FYI: The front chin that is part of the OE Aero is not easily removed. The factory used adhesive foam glue to secure it to the fascia so it would be better to ust buy a different fascia if you dont like the chin.

Let me know if you simply want to sell the rear wing or top section as I could use it for tooling.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

I was thinking about doing the something on my speed yellow 4s , but after I looked at the price that upgrade was I changed my mind that upgrade was $7k from factory
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I removed the aero deck from my C4S as it was installed later in life by previous owner. Im much happier without the wing. (and without the window tint too)

I was going to sell the aero deck, but i decided to keep it incase i ever buy a cabriolet. The wing on the cabrio looks pretty cool and i would add it for sure!
Attached Images  

Last edited by tcsracing1; 10-03-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
dbrians
Instructor

Opo ... just to clarify ... it costs $7k to remove the factory rear wing and replace with a factory 'standard' rear deck? I would not change the front.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

without wing
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with magdaddy, because your current wing is valuable and to be honest converting back to the single grill or Imo the sexy split grill does indeed require the oem electronic motor to work properly. Even though my car currently has the RS fixed wing, everything needed for the motorized wing is still in the car including the center button /switch etc.

Good luck with whatever grill you opt for!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM
dbrians
Instructor

So...If the car has the factory aero kit, forgive my ignorance (don't torch me..), is the wing static? Meaning the elec motor is not present? And a conversion to the std wing requires the installation of the elec motor / transmission?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

If the Turbo S wing was installed at the factory, I wouldn't be surprised if they did not add the spoiler harness.

I had a '97S with the factory turbo S option and it didn't have the center spoiler button in the console nor could I locate the wiring harness for the spoiler, you might want to ensure it's there before proceeding. If not, doubtful it would be a plug and play item if you end up putting one in yourself.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrians
So...If the car has the factory aero kit, forgive my ignorance (don't torch me..), is the wing static? Meaning the elec motor is not present? And a conversion to the std wing requires the installation of the elec motor / transmission?
Yes, the Aerokit wing is static. The actual motor for the retractable spoiler (the standard wingless version) is in the deck lid. So you will need the whole deck lid assembly. If the wiring is not there you'll have to create a harness. Not impossible but a PITA.

And I agree, get rid of the ghastly wing!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

An other option would be to replace the turbo S wing with a standard non S twin turbo wing, which tends to blend much nicer on the wide body cars then the Turbo S.
If you need one, let me know. I have complete OEM unit from a 1997 Twin turbo, ready to be bolted in place.

Al Z

Last edited by Al Z; 10-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:46 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I like without the wing.... Although I am partial to the turbo fact one
Old 10-03-2012, 05:09 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To swap you need a full deck (deck, mechanical spoiler, spoiler motor, spoiler gearbox, stop switches, wire harness on the rear deck). The wiring in the engine compartment to power the deck should be there ( it is in flatsixforme's C4S with factory fixed wing aero kit...sample size of 1, however...YMMV). It will be in the upper right corner of the engine compartment.

Best to find a non-aero car of the same color that was wrecked and get the whole rear deck. The swap is 4 bolts and connecting up the wiring harness at the rear.....and then there is the matter of the center console switch addition. I suspect the connector is already there, but don't know for sure. Easy to open up the center console switches (pry up gently) and check for it.

Quick Reply: Remove & sell C4S factory aerokit?