Sponsored by:

Tire Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Advice

I know it's been discussed a lot and I've researched it a lot too but I can't seem to make a final decision on tires for my C4S. My current situation is that I have Pirelli Pzero Rossos on the car from previous owner. I need two fronts. Rears have 80% left. Seems for not much more than the two new fronts would cost, I could get a full set of the much raved about Sumitomo HTRz's. When most people praise the Sumi's they bring up the pricing but for me in the near term that's kind of a wash. Are the Sumitomo's, in your guys' opinion, just a straight up better tire or, for the same money would you stick with the Pirelli's ?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both and prefer the Sumis to the Pirellis regardless of price. Good handling and much quieter.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

I've never had either the Summi's or the Pirelli's on my C4S. When I bought it, the PO had a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Sports on it...witrh a VERY aggressive track alignment. The tires were junk in 4K miles. I put a set of Hankook Ventus Evo's on it then, and have gone thru two full sets of rears in my almost 30K miles of drivng the car-and second set of fronts had to be bought because a road impact broke a belt and caused a sidewall buldge.

My car is street driven mostly, only seen a couple Auto-x's, no DE, etc. The Hankooks or Summi's are a great value for the money, and a great performing street tire. Also, you could probably sell the existing Pirelli rears for a good buck if the wear is consistent.

Gooid luck
Old 09-30-2012, 09:13 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Michelin Pilot Super Sports...excellent tire...quiet, grippy,long wear rating, reasonable cost
Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

And I'm not a fan of mixing, so don't get just 2 of something different up front.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Shtootgart
I know it's been discussed a lot and I've researched it a lot too but I can't seem to make a final decision on tires for my C4S. My current situation is that I have Pirelli Pzero Rossos on the car from previous owner. I need two fronts. Rears have 80% left. Seems for not much more than the two new fronts would cost, I could get a full set of the much raved about Sumitomo HTRz's. When most people praise the Sumi's they bring up the pricing but for me in the near term that's kind of a wash. Are the Sumitomo's, in your guys' opinion, just a straight up better tire or, for the same money would you stick with the Pirelli's ?
How old are the rear tires? If they are 4 or 5 years old, they might not have 80% left in them.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

what about continenatials
Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by orclean1
what about continenatials
I have DWS A/S on the rear and the sidewalls are too soft and the rear feels loose.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Rears are about 18 months old. So no fans of buying a couple more Pirellis ? I have no other tire experience with the car but I believe these are factory recommended. I have heard good things about the Michelins but thought they were priced relatively close to the Pirellis.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Sumi HTRZ IIIs are one of the best bang-for-the-buck tires out there right now, along with the Hankooks. 90% of the performance of the Michelins at half the cost. It's a no-brainer choice for almost anyone other than a wealthy track rat.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't comment on the Sumi's, but I really like the Hankook V 12's. I must add that I don't do track or DE, just on the road mischief.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy with the Sumi HTRZ III's, just cant beat the value. On the street, I've mixed brands front to rear several times without being able to notice adverse handling. May not be the best practice but the rears are expensive and these cars go through them pretty quickly, 8K to 12K, is all I've been able to get with factory alignment settings.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Great price as well compared to the PS2.. the shoulder is a rounder design which helps with thread life

phil.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
C2Cab95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I can't comment on the Sumi's, but I really like the Hankook V 12's. I must add that I don't do track or DE, just on the road mischief.
I also have the Hankook Ventus V12s... Great tires for the money and www.tirerack.com has them with an $80 mail in rebate. Puts them in at around $400 shipped.

They did take a couple hundred miles before they felt sure footed, I don't know if it was the rubber release agent used in the molding process, squirrelly tread, or combination of the two.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Sumi HTRZ IIIs are one of the best bang-for-the-buck tires out there right now, along with the Hankooks. 90% of the performance of the Michelins at half the cost. It's a no-brainer choice for almost anyone other than a wealthy track rat.
I agree. I just had four Sumitomo HTRZ IIIs put on this past Thursday. I had on BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD from the PO which handled really well. The Sumis don't handle as well (dry, I don't do wet!), but I've only put about 70 miles on them (break-in is supposed to be about 500 miles).

Quick Reply: Tire Advice