993 Forum 1995-1998

How Much is This Car Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Igla
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much is This Car Worth?

I test drove a well sorted '95 993 today. It drove strong, clutch felt great and interior and exterior looked exceptional well. He has taken care of the car really well with records to show, but now records from the previous two owners. The stigma with the car is it has a roll back issue that was done by the first owner and the current owner was not aware of it until recently when he ran a carfax on it when listing the car. AutoCheck checks out fine. The mileage on the odometer says 45K, but the seller states it should be around 93K based on his calculations from mileage stated on carfax. The car was also repainted in it's original color because the owner said he wanted it look to perfect because of the the stone chips. The owner will not budge on his price of $23.5K as he says he doesn't need the money and will keep it if he can't sell it at this price. He welcomes a PPI.

Is this a fair price for the car and would you buy it given the roll back issue? The car is just going be a weekend driver for me with no plans to sell any time soon.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...28683701&Log=0

Thanks,

David

Last edited by Igla; 09-30-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:29 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David,

I don't know the car or the current owner, however I would keep looking. The issues the car has will always be there. Besides, the owner is "speculating" on the current mileage, so you would never know what the actual mileage really is.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

for only $23.5k it is a low priced example. With repaint and mileage corrections it is understandable for the low asking price.

Low price 993 porsches make great entry level cars as well as good race car candidates.
For $20k and everything working, i would use it daily as transportation and rack the miles up.

If you must, and only have a few bucks to blow, bring 20k cash in your jeans and see what happens.....
Old 09-30-2012, 02:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
David,

I don't know the car or the current owner, however I would keep looking. The issues the car has will always be there. Besides, the owner is "speculating" on the current mileage, so you would never know what the actual mileage really is.
Yes. If you have a bigger budget you may want to look at other examples.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Igla
Is this a fair price for the car...
Depends. If it is just a repaint and not a repaint due to an accident, I'd look at it. Buy or borrow a paint thickness gauge and check it out.

Before even spending the money on a PPI, get it up on a lift and do a preliminary inspection of the underside for signs of collision work.

The other two bargain 993s I know of both had high mileage, 100K miles and 98K miles at $20K and $23.5K. And a third one had collision damage. You get what you paid for...either a story or high mileage.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:37 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Ad Alex said, if you're interested enough to move forward do a thorough checkover yourself first. If nothing bothers you at that point, have a VERY thorough PPI done. Possibly also have a qualified body shop, one that has done work on 993s, check the car over.

If both PPIs check out and the car is in good order, the car could be worth $23.5K. The biggest problem would be selling it later on as that mileage stigma (rollback) will always be there.

Just remember, a well-maintained 993 can handle big mileage. As always, current condition, both mechanical and cosmetic, is extremely important when determining a car's value. Doesn't matter if it's a 5000 mile one owner 98 C2S or a questionable mileage 95 with a repaint.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Igla
I test drove a well sorted '95 993 today. It drove strong, clutch felt great and interior and exterior looked exceptional well. He has taken care of the car really well with records to show, but now records from the previous two owners. The stigma with the car is it has a roll back issue that was done by the first owner and the current owner was not aware of it until recently when he ran a carfax on it when listing the car. AutoCheck checks out fine. The mileage on the odometer says 45K, but the seller states it should be around 93K based on his calculations from mileage stated on carfax. The car was also repainted in it's original color because the owner said he wanted it look to perfect because of the the stone chips. The owner will not budge on his price of $23.5K as he says he doesn't need the money and will keep it if he can't sell it at this price. He welcomes a PPI.

Is this a fair price for the car and would you buy it given the roll back issue? The car is just going be a weekend driver for me with no plans to sell any time soon.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...28683701&Log=0

Thanks,

David
Don't forget to mention the PPI restriction so that respondents have the entire story. It certainly affects the ability to obtain an objective inspection where you would be able to see what's wrong with the car.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

If there are no major issues, or other "stories", the blip on the radar seems to be factored into the price. 90K miles means there are many more left.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

I don't think you could go too far wrong at that price if things check out mechanically.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Seems like a decent price considering the issues. But it also depends on what your budget is and what you're looking for in a car. If you want to spend less than $25K that type of car is about as good as you're going to get. If you have $30K to spend you can find a much better example.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

IMO if the PPI checks out and you don't see any evidence of crash damage then it's a good deal. Odometer issues are common with these cars as we all know. Some may be reported, some may not. Even if all records are clean, you never know if the odo failed on a car at one time and the owner simply replaced it with another one with lower mileage on the clock.

At $23.5k you can have guilt free pleasure and drive the crap out of it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Igla
6th Gear

I had a handshake deal with the seller to buy the car at his offer price of $23.5 and to get a PPI. He gave me his word that he wouldn't sell it to the other guy that was coming later in the day to see the car. In fact, he said he would call the guy to cancel the showing. Well, he's now selling his car to the other buyer. Here's his email stating why he reneged:

"I want to keep this simple but definitive. I am going to renege on our handshake of today. I could not stop the other gentleman from arriving here this PM.
He not only offered a premium of 1500 but without the PPI.
I was a bit taken back today with what I think is important to you but somewhat trivial to me. I feel no matter the results of the PPI this will continue with you. So I really wish you luck going forward but think I am the wrong seller for your wishes and demands. Please do not call. "

This is such BS. Lesson learned, I should of put a contract in place, but part me was glad I didn't have one just in case I wasn't OK with the odometer issue. We always want what we can't have.

David
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh. There are other cars. This isn't the one to get worked up over, IMO.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David,
I've been there. Pretty sad, but no worries as there are more cars out there. You'll find the right one.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
IMO if the PPI checks out and you don't see any evidence of crash damage then it's a good deal. Odometer issues are common with these cars as we all know. Some may be reported, some may not. Even if all records are clean, you never know if the odo failed on a car at one time and the owner simply replaced it with another one with lower mileage on the clock.

At $23.5k you can have guilt free pleasure and drive the crap out of it.
I don't think odo issues are common at all. They aren't unheard of-but not that common.

Quick Reply: How Much is This Car Worth?