Sponsored by:

How Much is This Car Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Igla
I had a handshake deal with the seller to buy the car at his offer price of $23.5 and to get a PPI. He gave me his word that he wouldn't sell it to the other guy that was coming later in the day to see the car. In fact, he said he would call the guy to cancel the showing. Well, he's now selling his car to the other buyer. Here's his email stating why he reneged:

"I want to keep this simple but definitive. I am going to renege on our handshake of today. I could not stop the other gentleman from arriving here this PM.
He not only offered a premium of 1500 but without the PPI.
I was a bit taken back today with what I think is important to you but somewhat trivial to me. I feel no matter the results of the PPI this will continue with you. So I really wish you luck going forward but think I am the wrong seller for your wishes and demands. Please do not call. "

This is such BS. Lesson learned, I should of put a contract in place, but part me was glad I didn't have one just in case I wasn't OK with the odometer issue. We always want what we can't have.

David

not a surprise from somebody selling a car of that quality and price point.
what else would one expect from a seller of a car with a repaint and mileage issues.....

perhaps we should all start calling the seller to see if the car is still for sale for the rest of the week until he freaks out.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Igla
I had a handshake deal with the seller to buy the car at his offer price of $23.5 and to get a PPI. He gave me his word that he wouldn't sell it to the other guy that was coming later in the day to see the car. In fact, he said he would call the guy to cancel the showing. Well, he's now selling his car to the other buyer. Here's his email stating why he reneged:

"I want to keep this simple but definitive. I am going to renege on our handshake of today. I could not stop the other gentleman from arriving here this PM.
He not only offered a premium of 1500 but without the PPI.
I was a bit taken back today with what I think is important to you but somewhat trivial to me. I feel no matter the results of the PPI this will continue with you. So I really wish you luck going forward but think I am the wrong seller for your wishes and demands. Please do not call. "

This is such BS. Lesson learned, I should of put a contract in place, but part me was glad I didn't have one just in case I wasn't OK with the odometer issue. We always want what we can't have.

David
This outcome and the seller's perspective does not surprise me based on my meeting with him. Oh, well; there are plenty of other cars out there. Do not be afraid to go far to find the right one. Andreas aka AOW162435 bought his car in Seattle, fer crying out loud, and drove it back to Maryland. BTW, he's not far from you.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I don't think odo issues are common at all. They aren't unheard of-but not that common.
That ok. Our definitions of "common" are simply different.

One search of the word "odometer" brings up this...

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.p...rchid=11086243

I count 25+ threads on odometer issues within the first 2 pages of this search. Again, you can call it what it is.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

If I didn't already have one, since it's local it be in my garage by next week, PPI dependent .
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shake it off and stay close to the gang here on this board. Great group with sound advise that will help you get the right car for you.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David I paid about $21k for mine 2 years ago and am enjoying it thoroughly. New paint is not an issue as long as no major repairs are hidden and the paint quality is good. . Over time you can chip away with any improvements you might want to make. Get a PPI if you are not qualified . It looks good for the price if everything checks out. It just depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Just noticed your update on the sale falling through. The guy's a lowlife and you are best not owning his car. You will find something better.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

There are other cars! It always stings when someone shirks on a handshake or verbal deal but thats
probably why the guy did it ,he was fully aware he had some (however small) wiggle room should a better deal arise.
If you felt better about the car you likely would have put a deposit on it (if accepted) and scheduled your
inspection, with this kind of outcome your likely better off as the seller was obviously looking for the first
warm body with sufficient cash to drive away.
The buyer may be in for a real surprise down the road,you don't have to be concerned..good luck in your
search just be prepared to pull the trigger,an article in GT Porsche just hailed the '95 993 as one of the all time best early Porsche buys of the decade! it may only get harder with press like that...Bert
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you got your answer. Better to get that answer now.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

he did you a favor selling it to the other guy...

now when that other guy comes in here, talking up this new 993 he just got a great deal on, we'll cheer and tell him what a nice car it is and how well he did...

you'll cry yourself to sleep, but only for a few nights...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

My opinion -considering the issues- is that you would have regretted buying this car

Someone who cheats on mileage is also very likely to have treated the car poorly leading to other issues

When you go to sell it, at $23k you will regret paying that much when you see the offers youd get

It's winter and there will be deals on better cars coming...you should be able to pay low $20k for a documented, 100k mile car thats original and been well cared for that will be a lot less hassle to own and sell
Old 10-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Will a mod please close this thread? OP is long gone (still getting response emails and still looking for a car, I'm guessing) and has long stopped responding to members' helpful posts.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Igla
6th Gear

Thanks for all your responses.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm joining this one a little late but as of 10/8 the guys ad is still live on AT. Did the second deal fall through?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Igla
6th Gear

I don't know, but this is all behind me now.

Quick Reply: How Much is This Car Worth?