Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From SUV via FSD to ROW

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:51 PM
palmfish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car looks great! My 85,000 mile C4 is on the original suspension and I am considering this same combination - consensus seems to be that it's the best way to lower ride height and maintain stock handling/ride comfort.

I like the idea of Bilsteins because they last forever, but a few years ago I put a set of HD's on my Volvo and the ride harshness was unbearable. I don't track often enough to sacrifice that much ride comfort.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be some VDO repair shops close by that should be able to fix your speedometer.
I got mine rebuilt at www.instek.no (no affiliation).
Old 10-14-2012, 05:30 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

My 993 has the stock USA stance. The ride feels fine to me, and I've been driving Porsches for 40 years. It's a daily driver, and I don't plan to track it. I like not having to worry about driveways and dips.

So my question is, what would feel different if I went to ROW height, along with Konis or Bilsteins and Walrod bushings? What do the Walrod bushings do that the stock ones don't?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference going from my worn 16 year old bushings to the Walrod bushings where just incredible. I guess it depends on how you drive it, but I myself am just a "sunday driver" but i like a car to have a firm and direct feel, the walrod bushings are probably the best upgrade i have done to my car
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Nice stance. Are the rear shock bodies threaded also?
Thanks, I like it, too. On the rear shocks - I think not, I haven't checked, I must admit.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 PM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by palmfish
Your car looks great! My 85,000 mile C4 is on the original suspension and I am considering this same combination - consensus seems to be that it's the best way to lower ride height and maintain stock handling/ride comfort.

I like the idea of Bilsteins because they last forever, but a few years ago I put a set of HD's on my Volvo and the ride harshness was unbearable. I don't track often enough to sacrifice that much ride comfort.

I can recommend the combo - my immediate impression was that I really didn't notice much difference from the old Monroes, but having spent the day driving in wonderful weather in the Austrian alps is quite different. They are quite complacent on motorways, comfortable, but pretty nice and firm once you dig into the turns, just as I was looking for. I never track the car, and think I have find the ideal set up for my use. Some more pics taken with a proper camera below.
Attached Images      
Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 PM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by Akerlie
There should be some VDO repair shops close by that should be able to fix your speedometer.
I got mine rebuilt at www.instek.no (no affiliation).
Thanks, E. Akerlie - I'm in Norway next week and will give those guys a call!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Nothing says you need Walrods. They are a great item many have and love. Any bushing replacement will be an improvement over original.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 PM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by ehanauer
My 993 has the stock USA stance. The ride feels fine to me, and I've been driving Porsches for 40 years. It's a daily driver, and I don't plan to track it. I like not having to worry about driveways and dips.

So my question is, what would feel different if I went to ROW height, along with Konis or Bilsteins and Walrod bushings? What do the Walrod bushings do that the stock ones don't?
The ride in mine before the change was just fine, too. I suppose it is partly a vanity thing - I'd like the car to have as close to the originally intended Euro appearance as possible, in part given that the car now lives in Europe. The ride is not THAT different going from original suspension to Konis, M033 and new bushings (not Walrods, as they apparently are not approved for use in Europe, hence the mechanic did not want to install them). My ride today clocked the car in at 24 K miles, by the way. Not a big milestone, and not yet half way to 50.

The difference I did notice was that I scraped the front fender pulling into the garage when I had a passenger in the front seat yesterday. I have installed a front protection bar which caught most of it, so no big deal. But this is an issue.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Looks great! New bushings, either way, will be a great improvement. I won't second guess your mechanic, but does the inspection really look at the type of bushings?

ED - the guys who did my suspension also do the EU-approval business, so they cannot really install non-approved parts and then stamp the book at the same time. As the bushings are red they would also stand out quite nicely. But I take your point.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 PM
MACH993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the exact set-up on my 97 C2S about two months ago and my impression of the ride is same as your later opinion. Your ride looks great btw.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 PM
palmfish
Advanced

I'm not familiar with the Walrod bushings. Can someone post a link?

What is the consensus on the M033/M030 vs. H&R Sports and/or Eibach Pros?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by palmfish
I'm not familiar with the Walrod bushings. Can someone post a link?

What is the consensus on the M033/M030 vs. H&R Sports and/or Eibach Pros?
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...-cabushkit.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jason, how are you doing? Is your son in hockey withdrawal?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Hey Jason, how are you doing? Is your son in hockey withdrawal?
Nope, Hockey season has already kicked off in sunny Corpus Christi...LOL. Let's see, hockey practice mon and wed, baseball tues, thurs and lesson on friday. We were in Dallas for a baseball tournament this past weekend (qualified for the Elite 32 tournament in Orlando next summer), play local this weekend. Any wonder I have a bunch of dust collectors in the warehouse? As my wife reminds me, "It's not about you any more".

Quick Reply: From SUV via FSD to ROW