Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter or All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've worn out three sets of the Conti DWS tires on my BMW 545 and will buy another set when the current tires are gone. It is true that they have a much softer sidewall then the Michelin PS2's that I run on my C2S. The turn-in on the tire is the thing that is most notable. Not as crisp on the Conti as on the Michelin. But, at half the price of the Michelin's, that is a minor tradeoff.

The only issue that I have experienced with the Conti's is to have suffered bonding issues on three of the 12 tires I have run. The bonding issue results in blisters, usually in the sidewalls. None of the replacements for the blistered tires has shown any form of blistering.

The Michelins will last 12 to 15K on the rears, so keeping good rubber on that end of the car is very expensive if you run the Michelins. The Conti's on the BMW have made, on average, about 40k miles for each tire before requiring replacement. So, long life coupled with low price makes them a nice choice.

Lastly, since I live in Chicago, we see 4 to 5 snow falls most every winter. Usually, each storm only drops 2 to 5 inches of snow. The Conti's, on my BMW, are the best handling tire in snow of any of the many types of four season tires I have tun on my DD's over the 20 years we've lived here. Hands down. I assume that you would see similar performance when fitted to a 993.

Quick Reply: Winter or All Season Tires