Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear seat delete?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It's actually not that difficult to replace a rear seat delete with the seats, if you are talking about a cabriolet. The seat framework for a cab is a single unit with the seat belts integrated into the frame.

A coupe may be a whole different story.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
I took all of that stuff out to put in a RSD. Not sure if it is a good idea to sell it all or keep it.
I'd hold on to that stuff. If you ever decide to se the car you can sell the RSD separately. The way their prices have been moving you'd make enough off the RSD to put a downpayment on a house.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I'd hold on to that stuff. If you ever decide to se the car you can sell the RSD separately. The way their prices have been moving you'd make enough off the RSD to put a downpayment on a house.
You are right. 5 years in and no plans to ever sell the Cactuswagen but I will keep them anyway.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 276 Posts

I disagree... Sell the rear cacti-delete seat stuff for as much as you can get... My thought is that there are more people out there searching for a unique & beautiful 993 with cool options than there are looking for a 'family sports car' that can accomodate offspring.

I'm glad that my 993 has a passenger seat, but I bought an RSD to install because the rears will NEVER be used; unless Trojan has a defective batch...
Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very, very surprised if the mounting points for the reels are not present. In general, to deviate from one tooling setup costs far more than it does to have one consistent base and deviate after the fact, even if it does cause the mounting points to become obsolete. Maybe the bolt-on hardware is not there, but I'd almost guarantee the captive nuts (or at minimum, the hardware to hold the captive nuts) are present. I can't recall off the top of my head what the rear belt hardware looks like.

For the rear deck, the cutouts for belts are stamped into the plastic, then cut out if the rear seats are to be installed. So one could locate the plastic belt surrounds/grommets (insert correct technical term) and it would appear original.

What are the other hurdles? I'm skeptical of the word "impossible" on just about anything--especially with cars. It may be difficult (which is a relative term), but I find it hard to believe it is impossible.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Benton
Drifting

I say hold on to the rear seat parts and stick 'em in the basement to go with the car one day, or give you the option later. Those parts used are worth peanuts.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:50 PM
speedy88
Banned

Originally Posted by Benton
I would be very, very surprised if the mounting points for the reels are not present. In general, to deviate from one tooling setup costs far more than it does to have one consistent base and deviate after the fact, even if it does cause the mounting points to become obsolete. Maybe the bolt-on :hardware is not there, but I'd almost guarantee the captive nuts (or at minimum, the hardware to hold the captive nuts) are present. I can't recall off the top of my head what the rear belt hardware looks like.

For the rear deck, the cutouts for belts are stamped into the plastic, then cut out if the rear seats are to be installed. So one could locate the plastic belt surrounds/grommets (insert correct technical term) and it would appear original.

What are the other hurdles? I'm skeptical of the word "impossible" on just about anything--especially with cars. It may be difficult (which is a relative term), but I find it hard to believe it is impossible.
"Nearly" impossible. In other words, not worth the effort or time. Its like someone making a non-turbo into a turbo car.

Go and take a look at the seat bracket and see how it it mounted/manufactured, then you will get the idea. I looked at a 993tt rest seats, so I'm assuming it is the same as a c4s or c2s.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
I disagree... Sell the rear cacti-delete seat stuff for as much as you can get... My thought is that there are more people out there searching for a unique & beautiful 993 with cool options than there are looking for a 'family sports car' that can accomodate offspring.

I'm glad that my 993 has a passenger seat, but I bought an RSD to install because the rears will NEVER be used; unless Trojan has a defective batch...
I wonder what the seats and seatbelts are worth?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM
speedy88
Banned

Originally Posted by Cactus
I wonder what the seats and seatbelts are worth?
I saw the rear seats go between $200 to $500. Rear seat belts are around $75 to $200. I say keep them in case you sell the car, potential buyer may want them. I know I would. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

That's about what I got for my Classic Grey vinyl full seat set from a cabriolet.
Interestingly enough it ended up going to a 3.2 - apparently it is well known in their circles that the 964/993 rear seats from a cab fit in their cars.

Quick Reply: rear seat delete?