Sponsored by:

Bad steering rack???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 PM
ricks993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad steering rack???

I had a wobble in my steering and after checking past blogs. I diagnosed the problem, bad control arm bushings!!!! So I went for a drive trying to make the steering wobble, it felt like it was getting worse. I decided to check out the problem. After lifting the car the driver’s side tire moved as if the steering had been turned. Upon inspection I find that there is now about ¾ of an inch play in the driver’s side steering rack, surprise!! I can now freely move the driver side tire left and right about 1 inch
I can’t believe I was driving the car. I assume the steering rack is now trash and it cannot be fixed. Are there any options in steering racks (performance racks??) that I should look at before replacement. Also are there solid (performance) tie rods available while I am replacing the rack
Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I understand that a bad rack will leak power steering fluid. Don't assume that the most expensive part is the problem, a common issue with Porsche owners. Old bushings that clamp the rack in place may be bad. or more likely inside or outside tie rods. As you move the wheel do you see anyplay in the inside or outside ball cup?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I vote for bad tie rods. not unusual with the age of these cars. changing the tie rods is not too hard - but you'll need an alignment afterwards,..
Old 09-20-2012, 11:56 AM
ricks993
Racer

The tie rod is solid where it attaches to the wheel. I assume the other end of the tie rod attaches directly to the steering rack. Where it attaches to the steering rack it can now slide in and out about ¾ inch causing the driver’s side wheel to turn left and right about an inch (my wobble). It feels solid otherwise, when you pull it out it hits a stop. So if the tie rod attaches directly to the steering rack something in the steering rack is allowing the tie rod to move (only on the drivers side). I don’t see how it can be the tie rod??? Any ideas
Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 PM
ricks993
Racer

Is there just 1 tie rod on each side or is there an inner and outer on each side
Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I understand that a bad rack will leak power steering fluid.
Not always. I'd suggest getting under the car with the front wheels turned in the direction where you think the problem is. Unclamp the steering rack bellow and slide it to the side. Then grap the tie rod and move it in all directions with some force. This will allow you to see if the play is in your rack.

FWIW, I once had a BMW rack with up and down play in the rack and discovered it using this method.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 09-20-2012, 01:13 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

the tie rod has 2 parts on these cars - and inner and outer part. there is one set per side. the two parts should not have any play between them. if you are seeing an inch of play where the innner and outer rod joins together - that is your problem. at least that way my experience....
Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 PM
ricks993
Racer

It looks like the play is under the black cover around the tie rod. I did not know that they are two piece, it must be sliding where the two parts come together
Is there an upgrade for the tie rods that I should buy, per power steering cars upgrade to turbo tie rods is there anything like that for the 993
Old 09-20-2012, 02:58 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

there are some options. see this DIY by Garth S.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...hapter-ii.html

he has loaned his alignment jig all over the world. do a search here for tie rods and you will find a wealth of info.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Elonash
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks993
It looks like the play is under the black cover around the tie rod. I did not know that they are two piece, it must be sliding where the two parts come together
Slide the boot away to check the thread...

Has something been changed in this area of the car ? A bad reinstall of the tie rod thread into the steering rack end could lead to the thread damage.

Quick Reply: Bad steering rack???