My understanding of DIY sunroof felt repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My understanding of DIY sunroof felt repair

Ok, so checked out links and DIYs and such, but many of those included general repair of the sunroof.

Mine works fine, so I don't need to replace cables, lube stuff etc. However, the rear velvet is coming off and flapping a bit in the wind.

So I'm going to replace both the front and rear velvet strips to ensure they match nicely

My understanding is to pull off/back the liner, undo the bolts holding the roof in place and remove it. Remove and install the felt after taking some pics and making sure it is going exactly in place, and glue it a little low so that as the roof pushes the velvet up when it closes, it goes into place.

So, peel off the old, clean it, brush on the 3M in small bits, and align as per the pics I take off. Reattach the roof, close it up.

Am I missing anything?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be happy to let you practice on my M3 first if you like.

Local shop quoted me $550 for the job. M3forums says it should be no more than $250 (at a shop) but that I can DIY for about $60 in parts. Waiting for weather to cool down before I tackle it.

Edit: OK, misunderstood the issue, you're referring to the felt strips that line the sunroof opening. My apologies.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 09-19-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: reeding comp. sucks sometimes....
Old 09-19-2012, 11:14 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Some things I learned:
  • Set aside three times as much time as you think the job will take (If you get done quickly, you can always use the extra time to drink a beer or two).
  • It's good to have a helper standing right there with you. If you get in a bind with the adhesive (No pun intended), you won't have time to wait while they put down a magazine and walk out of the house.
  • Cleaning the old adhesive off is essential and is a royal PITA.
  • Pre-form the new gaskets before you apply any adhesive anywhere.
  • Do a dry run on placing and fitting the new gaskets before you apply any adhesive anywhere.
  • Plan your moves all the way through the installation process for each new gasket...Once you apply the adhesive, you won't have much time to stop and figure things out.

Good luck,
Terry
Old 09-19-2012, 01:17 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you use the 3M weatherstripping/seal stuff? I'm having trouble sourcing it locally.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

3M weatherstripping adhesive is availabe at most autoparts stores.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:34 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

I used painters tape to hold the newly applied felt exactly where I wanted it until the glue dried..that seemed to minimize it getting pushed up once the roof was back in place.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:06 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (08984) is an excellent cleaner for removing the old glue. Available at NAPA stores, it was a bout $20 for a quart can.

I used disposable brushes from Harbor Freight to apply each section of glue (I did 4-6 inches at a time; apply glue, let get tacky, apply strip, hold for a minute, repeat). They have the metal handles and straight bristles and come in a 20 or 30 pack for a couple of dollars. The glue gums up enough after each application, so just throw it away and use another.

The adhesive is a lot of "fun" to work with. That's why I only did small sections at a time.

I would recommend replacing the flat rubber seal at the back of the sunroof while you're doing it. Easier to replace than the felt, and while you're in there...

When applying the adhesive, I would stay a few millimeters below the top of the roof. The glue will hold just fine if you don't go all the way to the top and it will be easier to prevent "smudges" or excess glue on the felt.

Go slowly, pre-form the felt and go slow. I also found that going slow worked well for me. There is also a pretty good write up on Pelican for doing this.

Be careful when you remove the sunroof section because there are two metal tabs underneath that can scratch the top of your sunroof. This is mentioned in the Pelican article too, as well as past RL posts. You can see them when there is enough "wiggle" in the sunroof when it is unattached. When re-installing the sunroof, I also used 2 strips of blue painters tape on the roof as insurance against scratching. I also went slow.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great tips. Adding it to the collection of notes I've taken.

I didn't think to get the rubber seal when I ordered the stuff. Didn't notice it in the PET, or I would have ordered. Need to get the felt replaced as the loose felt already scuffed the paint a bit.

I'll report back after tomorrow. Taking the day off and:

Replacing front/rear felt on sunroof

Replacing front passenger wheel well liner, plus the air exhaust cap on the TechArt ducts thaft came off

Fitting a couple of factory pieces on the aftermarket turbo tail

Installing the DAS coupe (only lower portion roll) bar on a semi-permanent basis to see if the car seat fits ok
Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed for your sunroof felt post repair report and photos. i think i have one in my future... good luck
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck, this was a major PITA.

I made a complete mess of it. Once the felt hits the adhesive you have about half a second to reposition it before it sticks. Go slow and don't use too much adhesive. Cause you'll have misaligned felt and adhesive on one hand and excess adhesive on top of the sunroof on the other and then you run out of hands.

Two person job.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I did the repair myself in about a half hour. the Porsche dealer in Az advised that i buy the adhesive from Mercedes which I did and it worked great. I'm not sure if your 993 is the same as my 1986 930 but sunroof removal is not needed. good luck!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:19 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JP, let us know how you made out
Old 09-29-2012, 01:13 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok.

With all the input, parts in place, adhesive and adhesive cleaner, and some time, I set out.

My seals were pretty flush, so I tried to target them the same. I masked off the edges and also marked off both the beginning and end of the cross over between front and back.

For reference, the front felt/velvet is attached to the inside of the sunroof compartment, i.e., on the roof itself, while the rear felt is unfortunately on the rear of the moveable sunroof piece.

As per the DIY, the liner pops off and slides back. It slides back because it is on the track separately than the metal sunroof. So it really should just slide back. Mine is wearing and a bit of the leather/vinyl is coming out of the track, so it slid a little rough. More on that later.

Total of 8 bolts and removing the track guide shown in pic 5 (comes off in your hands. Pic 6 shows the rear guide. One part comes out, the other stays there.

The key learnings that I didn't really get from the other DIYs: A) the sunroof liner is in a track , and is attached to the metal roof only in the front and only by those litte clips. Surprising. B) The sunroof liner is in the track with little plastic binder clip sort of things. While you are in there doing all this, might as well make sure the liner is smooth and all that.

C) I wish I would have known about and replaced the little rubber strip that is in there as well. When you order the part, just look at the PET near the rear strip.

D) Pay attention to your own notes. The replacement front felt was a little longer than the old one, and I stupidly first cut it, then forgot to look at my markings on my tape for when to angle it down properly. Also, the new piece didn't seem to have as flat ends as the old one, which makes the join between the front and the rear a little odd. That resulted in the slight mismatch in the picture above. I might reorder the front felt and try again. I'll have to wait and see if the mismatch proves a problem or not.

E) The adhesive is a total PITA, but I'm not sure I'd go the brush route on the front piece. I think if I were to do it again I'd figure out some sort of pinhole applicator and just bead it on slowly.

Thanks for your help and hope this helps a little.

When I got in there, the little plastic guides on the sunroof liner had one missing (guessing my wrench forgot to put back on when he fixed the stuck roof), and I had no choice but to get it back together. I went to Staples and bought report covers, and am going to tear it back apart to see if that will work to replace them. Stay tuned.
Attached Images          

Quick Reply: My understanding of DIY sunroof felt repair