CEL and flywheel -- is this urgent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi Marc,

The rattle would be quite heavy when the car is shut off - sort of sounds like a run-on of the engine. does not sound like its your issue.

Are their any other characteristics that go with the code? Does it require a WOT to trigger, or just lightly loaded driving? How about frequency?

Misfires are hard to find because they are erratic, so its hard to find, and when fixed, hard to say it's fixed unless the frequency is so often that it's obvious when fixed.

Misfires is usually ignition related, so that could be:

-bad plugs
-bad wires
-bad cap/rotor
-bad distributor belt (either broken or skipped a tooth -have seen both)
-bad wires
-bad coils
-bad flywheel sensor
-bad dme

and so on.

Are the misfires only on one bank or both? Any other codes along with the misfire code?

Might take a bit of digg'n.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for your prompt reply Mike.

Actually, I noticed the misfires after I changed the belts (all Porsche OEM) because I pulled out my PST2 to make sure everything was normal. My belts were on the looser end (KRICKIT tool) read around 20-25 scale increments. I drove around a bit and then retensioned them to around 30-35. I cleared the codes and they seemed to go away. But after driving around another month I ran my PST2 and noticed various engine misfire codes again. I cleared the codes and drove another day with no return of codes. But I think it's more driving that brings these codes up. Perhaps I need a WOT to generate it too.

Car continues to have a little rough idle after it's warm with a little bit of "chatter" or "knock" when idle drops a bit - wasn't sure this was another sign of a bad flywheel.

Like I said, I installed new wires, distributor caps/rotors, all Porsche belts, new DME. I'm hoping I can pull another code by the time I go to visit my friend Tony at Callas Rennsport tomorrow to see what he thinks.

I plan on upgrading to a LWF (or MWF if the rattle that is associated with these LWF's is too much) at some point. Perhaps it may be sooner than later. Plan on doing the job myself. Haven't decided to drop engine and tranny together or just tranny for this job. A top-end rebuild is something I will also do eventually, but hoping I can get a few more years out of the car before then. I'm just asking for punishment!

Marc G.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi - did you ever figure out if the flywheel was the source of your misfire codes?

Quick Reply: CEL and flywheel -- is this urgent?