Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Should a 96 C4S have a spare tire ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Going back to the OP's original question, I suggest that you take the time to visit a couple of Porsche gatherings and talk with some of the 993 owners there. Most of us are more than happy to show off our cars and I'm sure you could find several owners that could "dial you in" on 993s. Armed with that knowledge, you'll be a much more informed and prepared shopper. Here's the link to the Hurricaine Region of the PCA in Raleigh (http://hur.pca.org/Home.aspx)... Looks like they have a pretty active schedule.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 AM
G$ 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not in the hurricane region PCA but I have several family members who are. It is a strong and active group. I know there are several hurricane region 993 owners who would be happy to help you out.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Am I supposed to be impressed?I am not.Do you think your an expert? Your not. I don't do parades or wine tours or play want-a-be race car driver.You do.
How sure are you on that?
Anyways, not sure what impresses you or what you consider "knowledge" when it comes to spare tires or D.E use? please share your infinit knowledge and experience to shed light on the issue for the OP that we may have missed cause i have no idea what your point is pertaining to "needing an expert" to chime in?
Unless you really are saying that the spare tire is indeed engineered to be part of the crash impact protection of the tub? If so, please fill everybody in as i would be interested to know the facts of this claim as well.

I dont run a spare in the trunk on the street and i see a lot of 993 owners at the track with the spare out.
If the spare really is part of the crash structure then i must wonder why are long time porsche and 993 owners running without them where frontal impact of speeds over 100mph are possible?
Are they taking risks or just do not know what you know?

If you know something please share....

Last edited by tcsracing1; 09-16-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NP993
This is a hilarious quote. "Hey, you're stupid! Can someone who's not stupid explain why?"

FWIW, I've never seen anything but internet conjecture that the spare tire is part of the crash protection system of the car. If that was true, is it also true that you have an increased risk of injury or death in a collision if you happen to be using the spare during an accident? Funny, I don't see anything in the owner's manual warning about that. If it was true, purely for reasons of legal liability, the owner's manual would carry that warning. But it doesn't.

(The spare for my car is in my closet)

+1

somebody here please prove to me that im stupid for the sake of this topic and to anybody else that never thought the spare was such a serious part of the crash protection structure.....

If im wrong, i will install my spare.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:08 AM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no spare is fine, HOWEVER do not, I repeat do NOT drive with out the front trunk carpeting in place, This is the real structural element of the front end.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Just search the site.Type in "spare tire crash". There are as many opinions as there are *******'s.When I picked up my first new Porsche in November of 88' , I was 18 yrs old, I was given a lecture reguarding the importance of keeping the spare tire in place.Why do you think Porsche limits the speed(55 mph)and duration(50 miles max)a spare tire can be used?Why do you think Porsche requires the spare to be replaced as soon as posible? Maybe because the car is not structurally sound with out the spare in place above 55mph.Maybe?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

OR the cover case for the wind deflector with 993 cabs....
Old 09-16-2012, 11:16 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Just search the site.Type in "spare tire crash". There are as many opinions as there are *******'s.When I picked up my first new Porsche in November of 88' , I was 18 yrs old, I was given a lecture reguarding the importance of keeping the spare tire in place.Why do you think Porsche limits the speed(55 mph)and duration(50 miles max)a spare tire can be used?Why do you think Porsche requires the spare to be replaced as soon as posible? Maybe because the car is not structurally sound with out the spare in place above 55mph.Maybe?
Almost all space saver spare tires I have ever seen say not to use them for more than 50 miles or to exceed 50mph be it for a Porsche or a Honda. I think that is because they are not designed to be used like a regular tire, just to get you to the nearest repair station.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

If you don't respect my opinion read what Mark in Baltimore said in post number two of "Spare tire and crash protection".Read post 13,15 & 22 of the same thread. I am just as stupid as Mark.That makes me feel good.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 AM
DALLWA
Racer

Impressive...and scary...welcome to the 993 Green Acres Forum

Last edited by DALLWA; 09-16-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: embed the video
Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Default Common sence

If you don't respect my opinion read what Mark in Baltimore said in post number two of "Spare tire and crash protection".Read post 13,15 & 22 of the same thread. I am just as stupid as Mark.That makes me feel good.
This is a common sence issue.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 PM
porsita
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I can say is that the spare provides support for the luggage compartment which if used to transport anything heavy may result in deformation of the carpets / support panels
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

so without the spare thing in the front end.....The car is UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED?

wow i HAD NO idea.........
Old 09-16-2012, 03:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

You have an interesting point with the spare being part of the impact resistance.

The space saver spare however is limited to 50mph for 50 miles due to speed rating and tread wear of the tire.
Porsche didnt intend anybody to roll the dice against the odds without a spare for 50 miles..... Cause if a front on collison occured within those 50 miles and the spare was absent, then porsche would have a problem on its hands...

Quick Reply: Should a 96 C4S have a spare tire ?