Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guidance requested - a "low cost" 993 in my future?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Then... GO FOR IT!!! It could easily, EASILY cost you over $10k in repairs in 3 years. You won't care. You'll be smiling so hard your face will hurt. You'll be driving a go kart, not a regular car like a big BMW. These cars are fun, happy, sh*t eating grin cars.

Can't wait to hear back from you after you get yours. Despite the problems I've had with mine, I wouldn't want to trade it for anything else... right now.
Interesting post.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie_993
I would like to add to this the possibility that MAYBE the 993 is holding its value now due to the older generations that are familiar with the car and appreciate the uniqueness of it. Newer generations will probably not care about it being air cooled and whatnot so they would rather get a more comfortable/reliable(?) 996 or 997 because that is what they grew up or are more familiar with.
Has the fact that newer generations do not appreciate Ferrari 250 GTOs been a factor in their depreciation?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Has the fact that newer generations do not appreciate Ferrari 250 GTOs been a factor in their depreciation?
Well here you are talking about a car that is on the extreme side of things. Obviously limited production cars that cater to the extremely rich will keep their value. However, the 993 is by no means a limited production car. They're definitely not common compared w/ most cars but it's not a limited production vehicle.

I'm talking about the average Joe, more or less And we're still not there yet, I think this might happen when the newer generations from the 80s and 90s will be in their 40s and 50s.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Z-nomore
Instructor

I'm talking about the average Joe, more or less And we're still not there yet, I think this might happen when the newer generations from the 80s...
That's me!! I appreciate the hell out of the 993s. It has been my dream car since I was 15 in 1995. I feel very lucky to own this particular car.

If I ever decided to purchase a 997 or 991, it would be in addition to my 993. I prefer the old school feel of the 993s when compared to the newer models. There is just something special about driving a 993.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z-nomore
That's me!! I appreciate the hell out of the 993s. It has been my dream car since I was 15 in 1995. I feel very lucky to own this particular car.

If I ever decided to purchase a 997 or 991, it would be in addition to my 993. I prefer the old school feel of the 993s when compared to the newer models. There is just something special about driving a 993.
That's me too, I was actually only 7 in 1995 haha. But most people in our generation have no idea what air cooled is. I got my passion for 911s from my dad but so many more people our age are not into cars. If you look at the even younger ones it's way "worse."
Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

What is with all the super-young 993 owners these days? I think more 993 owners (especially Turbos) seem to be in the under-30 crowd. It took me 2 decades of 911 ownership to build up to my Turbo. I applaud your taste in cars!

You are right thought, the "real" young people these days treat cars like a black box, and do not have the gear sense that most of us Rennlisters have. This could be better for the environment anyways, not sure. However, there still are gear-heads in each generation, it just a declining number.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-13-2012, 05:49 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-nomore

Don't lie... you're the average Chuck. Not the average Joe.

On a related note, I'll +1 your post. I was 17 in 1995 but the 993 was definitely my dream car and I'm really enjoying mine. Although it isn't my first Porsche and I actually started out with a newer 997.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 PM
95carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be prepared to pay over two grand if starter bendix housing cracks on a tiptronic. Ask me how I know...
Old 09-13-2012, 09:12 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike J
What is with all the super-young 993 owners these days? I think more 993 owners (especially Turbos) seem to be in the under-30 crowd. It took me 2 decades of 911 ownership to build up to my Turbo. I applaud your taste in cars!

You are right thought, the "real" young people these days treat cars like a black box, and do not have the gear sense that most of us Rennlisters have. This could be better for the environment anyways, not sure. However, there still are gear-heads in each generation, it just a declining number.
I have to disagree with this based on my own experience. Then again, most of my friends are scientists or engineers (or science-minded students).

I bought my first 911 one year out of college. It was an '84 3.2L Carrera that I purchased for a measly $10,000. My PPI mechanic couldn't believe the deal I wrangled. All my young friends seemed to appreciate it and wondered how I could afford it in grad school. Heh. I always evaded the question of price whenever it came up.

After it was hit by a drunk driver 4 months back (10 years after buying the 3.2 Carrera), I bought my high milage 993 for a little more than the insurance settlement (for an amazing $17,000, another rockin' deal IMO) from the original owner with all records and original paint. I found it through my wrench. It's in beautiful condition, by the way, aside from the gremlins I mentioned earlier. Fortunately, I can use the money I saved by buying at such a bargain price to chase gremlins and even rebuild the engine or transmission if need be. Me = one thrilled 993 owner ... for an original investment of $10,000!
Originally Posted by RudyP
On a related note, I'll +1 your post. I was 17 in 1995 but the 993 was definitely my dream car and I'm really enjoying mine.
I always admired 911s as a kid in the 80's and then in the 90's as young buck. There was no other option for me. As soon as I could afford it, I bought my dream car.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Z-nomore
Instructor

That's me too, I was actually only 7 in 1995 haha. But most people in our generation have no idea what air cooled is. I got my passion for 911s from my dad but so many more people our age are not into cars. If you look at the even younger ones it's way "worse."
Man, you make even me feel old!

Originally Posted by RudyP
Don't lie... you're the average Chuck. Not the average Joe.

On a related note, I'll +1 your post. I was 17 in 1995 but the 993 was definitely my dream car and I'm really enjoying mine. Although it isn't my first Porsche and I actually started out with a newer 997.
I started out in a humble used '93 300ZX. A great car, but I always had an eye for a P-car, just couldn't afford/justify it at 20.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I sold my 993 right as the depreciation curve started to level out. The guy that bought it from me (in 2002 or so) still has it, and since he hasn't put a whole lot of miles on it he could sell it for nearly what he paid me for it.

That said, expecting a car this old and not all that rare to appreciate is a pipe dream. Really nice low mileage examples with a high price, such as the one currently in the Rennlist classifieds, don't sell quickly. I suspect that average high mileage examples don't sell quickly either.

Buy the car because it's what you want, not because you think you can avoid depreciation.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:59 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Then... GO FOR IT!!! It could easily, EASILY cost you over $10k in repairs in 3 years. You won't care. You'll be smiling so hard your face will hurt. You'll be driving a go kart, not a regular car like a big BMW. These cars are fun, happy, sh*t eating grin cars.

Can't wait to hear back from you after you get yours. Despite the problems I've had with mine, I wouldn't want to trade it for anything else... right now.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Interesting post.

you mean... ?

There are many days I say "the hell with it" and think about buying 1 killer car to replace my 2, but there isn't 1 car in my price range that will do that. Though, I pine away for an 08 MB Silver S63 or E63 sometimes.
I'm now tempted, to consider, a car with better A/C, better stereo, more comfortable seats, Nav built in, not as classic body style but I've seen worse, etc, etc. Was curious so started looking at 2006-2007 997's (S's and 4S's). Found a 1997 dark grey/blk S coupe near me with 40k miles for $49k - Tiptronic. Yes, Tiptronic. DC traffic blows! Warranty till 9/13 from Porsche.

Found a 2006 silver/blk 4S coupe for $52k (these are simply asking prices), 6 spd. 48k mi.

I doubt I'll even look at one, but it's on my mind.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^
Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
I absolutely love the stock suspension and exterior look of the c4s in silver and arena red. However, I prefer the mechanical simplicity and greater power-to-the-wheels of the C2
Don't make the mistake of buying a 993 that hasn't had a suspension upgrade or budget $2K-$3K to swap out the crappy factory Monroes right away. Based on this thread it sounds like you enjloy the driving experience. The Monroes need replaced with Bilsteins or you will never get close to the feedback the car can provide during a spirted run.

Quick Reply: Guidance requested - a "low cost" 993 in my future?