catalytic converter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
Hi Flying Finn, is your OBD2 cat still for sale?

Thanks,

Emmanuel
Yes. Someone contacted me but hasn't replied since so it is still for sale.

PM me for your details.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My local tech does the 'safety inspection' on my pre-OBD II '95. My 'exhaust components' pass their inspection:
DACH X pipes (no sport cats)
DACH R modified OEM mufflers (I have no idea how they compare to the various modified OEM mufflers that others talk about around here, i.e. stage this or stage that) but I knew Supercups would be too intense

old school tech at the local Porsche dealer says my car is the best sounding 993 he has ever heard, and I cannot get enough of the lift-throttle gurgling and popping...

I drive the car once or twice a week, had I made the choice to get an older one like the early 70s 911S I was considering it wouldn't have cats anyway, so..... my enviro-conscious does not bother me
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Joe, thanks for the Catalyst information ... two questions:
  • Are your sport Cats CA smog legal?
  • Do you include a EPA# and warranty?
Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
200 cell catalytic converters are 95% open as compared to a straight open pipe and very stable and do NOT typically unravel and blow out. 100 cell catalytic converters are 98% open and typically fail and do NOT keep off OBD2 CEL lights and the 3% delta is insignificant in terms of additional power and sports car sound.

I found this all out by observation and dyno testing and talking to engineers at HJS Germany. A gentlemen that runs the Motorsports and aftermarket departments of HJS catalytic converters says that consumers THINK that 100 CPSI is better than 200 CPSI and it is actually the opposite given the failures and problems with emissions.

Heck- I can buy 50 cell and 75 cell catalytic converters and I am offered these from time to time. No thanks.

FYI- I used to buy 100 cell catalytic converters from another company in Europe and this European company used to Cross-Drill and Weld in catalytic converter strengthening rods 90 degrees perpendicular to the 100 CPSI core. The cats looked like 6 #2 pencils were drilled through the core and welded on the sides of the catalytic converter case.
The company did this so that the cats would NOT collapse internally and unravel.

HJS said flow was 75% compared to an open pipe and much degraded versus a 200 cell quality catalytic converter. If you see or feel bumps or see rods crossdrilled or welded to a 100 cell catalytic converter ............you have 100 cell cats with very poor exhaust flow. Bottom line 100 cell cats are NOT the Holy GRail under any circumstances.

Joe Fabiani Fabspeed Motorsports USA #1 Importer of HJS Catalytic converters in NORTH AMERICA
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Yes. Someone contacted me but hasn't replied since so it is still for sale.

PM me for your details.
If you're referring to me, I sent you an email (maybe in your spam?) a few days ago. But sell to Emanuel if he is a for-sure since I need to get home (traveling right now) and check muffler compatibility.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:42 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Default Don't be in such a hurry to replace your cat

The cat is rather robust. If you had a issue with a misfire or some other issue that overwhelmeed the cat in the past you may just want to see if there is a way to clean it out.

Andy
Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
My local tech does the 'safety inspection' on my pre-OBD II '95. My 'exhaust components' pass their inspection:
DACH X pipes (no sport cats)
DACH R modified OEM mufflers
Glad to hear you're still enjoying everything

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Joe, thanks for the Catalyst information ... two questions:
  • Are your sport Cats CA smog legal?
  • Do you include a EPA# and warranty?
These issues still going on? May have to follow to see if there's an answer
Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
"...about 30 Lbs as I recall...less the weight of the X pipes and 200 cell cats..you will lose some weight, as well as displace some weight further forward toward the center of gravity." EDIT/DELETE
Martin S -
Allright. Call it a draw in terms of overall weight,,,, when considering the recently added 38lbs of audio amplifiers installed in place of the spare tire.
Pioneer Electronic's old sckool class A/B .. PRS-A900 times 3each.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...fiers/PRS-A900

Chris M -
No doubt,,, I'll be sure to audio record both the CAT bypass pipe and the 200 cell CAT with the LPMM mod'd OE muffler cans. A cold start ought to be a good starting point ...

Having missed today's delivery,, FedEx will next attemp on Monday -
The install shouldn't take much and I'm all over the recording scheme.
Should be fun.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
If you're referring to me, I sent you an email (maybe in your spam?) a few days ago. But sell to Emanuel if he is a for-sure since I need to get home (traveling right now) and check muffler compatibility.
Yes, I was referring to you.

All good, you were the 1st so it's yours. I sent you a PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been receiving Private messages and questions about aftermarket catalytic converters and compliance with California CARB and EPA regulations.

I wanted to clarify an make it perfectly clear that NO COMPANY is the world offers replacement catalytic converters for late model Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and other cars that are compliant with EPA, and California regulations.

The only catalytic converters certified for replacement or repair any of these cars are the factory OEM restrictive catalytic converters. That being said if the factory catalytic converter FAILS or is MISSING from a car (when you buy it) then it is legal to replace the catalytic converter with an aftermarket catalytic converter.

That being said again..............Exotic car enthusiasts could care less about EPA/CARB rules and legislation as since our cars are so rare and shops do not really understand them.............car enthusiasts want to change out restrictive factory catalytic converters with 200 cell Tri-metallic sports racing catalytic converters so the car picks up both power and sports car sound all in one.

Many of the newest Ferrari and Porsche cars often have 4 to 6 catalytic converters on the car Choking down the sports car sound F1 experience.

For example Ferrari installs 6 cats on all North America F360/ F430 >1st set jammed in the header collector and 2 more downstream on each exhaust bank, all Porsche 996/997/986/987 cars have 4 cats two on each exhaust bank. The Mclaren MP4-12C has 2 cats right at the Turbos and 2 up higher up on the exhaust. These are all 600 to 700 cell catalytic converters too.

A set of race quality equal length headers on a 360 or F430 and 200 CPSI sports race cats make the cars sound like an F1 car as compared to stock. Same think on the late model Porsche cars alot more gutsy sports car sound and power and lots of smiles from the driver. The Mclaren is super quiet and sanitized in terms of any sound.........with 2 Fabspeed 200 cell HJS sport cats car immediately picks up significant power and Turbo wistling making the driver laugh and smile compared to Cayenne Turbo stock SUV sound!

Video demonstrations a Dyno data and pulling your buddies cars on the road or at the race track makes the smiles permanent!
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Joe, did you see the referenced thread?

Fabspeed cats to receive CARB approval
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-approval.html

Please let us know when you will be helping us in California

Originally Posted by mgianzero

Just a note, especially to all the California Porsche owners ...

I just got the word from Alex at Fabspeed Motorsports. Fabspeed has applied for CARB approval for their Porsche 993 sport 200 cell cats (not sure if there are other cats that apply).

This way, we can pass our smog visual tests should that ever happen to us. With our cars getting older, a chance for a referee smog check becomes more likely and so does the visual.

So this should give us a few extra hp, bigger exhaust sound, AND less weight in our rears. I've always thought I could stand to lose a few pounds in the backside!

Marc G.

Last edited by FlatSix911; 03-17-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
...NO COMPANY is the world offers replacement catalytic converters for late model Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and other cars that are compliant with EPA, and California regulations...
Really? My DACH sport cats are EPA and CARB certified. They have a number stamped right there on each cat. But they are not made anymore, so maybe you're right.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
Talking

"That being said if the factory catalytic converter FAILS or is MISSING from a car (when you buy it) then it is legal to replace the catalytic converter with an aftermarket catalytic converter."

I guess a lot of stock cats are going missing then!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Emmanuel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, I bought a modified cat assembly on E-Bay with 2 200 cells cats have been welded instead of the factory ones. The job looks professional, it now has 2 cats instead of the 4, It came from a burned out black coupe being parted in central California. Anybody knows about this car? It's a long shot!

Ps, I am hoping that the car will pass smog that way.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Emmanuel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, I bought a modified cat assembly on E-Bay with 2 200 cells cats welded to the stock unit instead of the factory ones. The job looks professional, it now has 2 cats instead of the 4, It came from a burned out black coupe being parted in central California. Anybody knows about this car? It's a long shot!

Ps, I am hoping that the car will pass smog that way.

Any feedback from California people appreciated.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:13 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Isnt that the black car that had the exhaust problem and the car caught on fire?

Joke. Sorry, Im in one of those moods.

Quick Reply: catalytic converter replacement