nice work, good to see someone putting their fab skills to work
Great job and nice car
enjoy
Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Seamless
This did cross my mind but I had the license plates in my hand and wanted to drive! Easier to whip up a custom bracket than wait and order the oem option.
Great thinking (and great craftsmanship on the brackets!). Enjoy in good health!!

Bty, I'm one of those guys that actually doesn't mind the look of the front license plate on our 993's. In lovely CA, I don't want to give our friendly law enforcement any reason to pull me over (CA is a little cash strapped, if you haven't heard ), hence the reason why I'm sporting the front license.

Cheers!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same situation here, One reason to pull me over and they will
grrrr
Old 09-09-2012, 11:31 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other day I was a the Porsche dealership, there was a Porche license plate bracket that uses the tow hook hole to mount it. I thought this would be an excellent idea without damaging your bumper. Take it off, quick and simple. I assume this bracket would work on all cars with the tow hook hole. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of it.

Similar to this one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Caym...6f722e&vxp=mtr
Old 12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to get a front plate for the reasons some others have noted here. You will get a ticket here in my town without a front plate. I've read all the other solutions here but it seems the stock H bracket is probably best for my situation as the bumper already has the holes with plugs in them. I found some here for $27 including shipping across the US.

Anyone have any experience with this Porsche parts seller on Ebay? I swore long ago to not deal with Ebay due to some bad experiences.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-ORIGINA...461506044#shId

Thanks

Brian

---

- 1997 993 Targa - Arctic Silver/Black (coming soon)
- 1998 Audi Quattro 2.8T (DD)
- 1966 Porsche 912 (long gone)
Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Seamless
I quickly designed and manufactured a bracket to mount to the underside of the grill opening.

I also manufactured matching front and rear frames. 316 brushed stainless steel.
Very nice attention to detail!

Were those items laser or water jet cut?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Always perplexed with the logic that cars need 2 but motorcycles can use just 1 rear in our neck of the woods. And that it varies state to state for cars.
It is a matter of real estate I would think.

I could never figure out why we even have state or provincial licence plates in North America. European countries get by on a national plate just fine. Then the odd rules of the road that vary from state to state or province.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Very nice attention to detail!

Were those items laser or water jet cut?
All parts were laser cut. Helps when you have access to a state of the art metal fab shop.

You will see more custom parts in the near future. The car is currently in storage without any access to take measurements.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I installed the Invetiva Concepts bracket, since cutting up a license plate to fit inside the spoiler is ilegal here in California and a front plate is required. I didn't like the OEM front plate placement; I like this better:
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

There's a bracket that attaches to our front tow.......can't remember who makes it, but it seems like there's no need to punching holes in the bumper......
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 AM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks goofballdeluxe and others.

I really like the Inventiva solution but on their website now they are only selling a cupholder. Seems like the discontinued the plate holder. My car already has the two holes (plugged) but putting it lower as in your car is what I'd like to find a current solution for.

BT
Old 12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BLT, email Jeff at Inventiva... see if he will kindly custom make you one... He did for me.
even though i had to 'plug' the holes for the OE mount, i still prefer the lower mount so its not hanging off the front like a buck tooth...

Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT
Thanks goofballdeluxe and others.

I really like the Inventiva solution but on their website now they are only selling a cupholder. Seems like the discontinued the plate holder. My car already has the two holes (plugged) but putting it lower as in your car is what I'd like to find a current solution for.

BT
BLT, Jef at Invetiva wasn't making the front plate bracket when I wanted one either. I put together a small group buy of 10 people here on Rennlist, and he was easily talked into making a batch. He is a nice guy, and great engineer and makes a quality product. Might be worth an e-mail to see if you can persuade him...

Best of luck.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Rennline make a screw in tow hook one which I just installed -

http://www.rennline.com/Tow-Hook-Rec.../E1070%2E1080/

I just bought this and it is very well made from Billet. I've gone back to the tow hook solution after a spin at AX caused the factory center mount to come loose and fly off!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
BLT, Jef at Invetiva wasn't making the front plate bracket when I wanted one either. I put together a small group buy of 10 people here on Rennlist, and he was easily talked into making a batch. He is a nice guy, and great engineer and makes a quality product. Might be worth an e-mail to see if you can persuade him...

Best of luck.
That's good to hear. If anybody's interested in a group buy, count me in!

Quick Reply: My front licence plate solution