A huge THANKS to those who paved the way

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up A huge THANKS to those who paved the way

This forum is the best!!!!

I have been following the posts where people have documented their engine drop and suspension rebuilds. You guys have provided the knowledge base for others to tackle these projects. From the threads, I printed out the text and pix for easy reference.

My clutch was starting to slip last year so I began buying parts for this and other 'while you are in there' work. Heavy Duty clutch and light weight flywheel.

The engine/trans is now out and the rear suspension is all pulled. I will strip the engine down (external parts) and will be taking it to a local shop to have the upper end rebuilt. Even though the mileage is 36k (16k with a supercharger installed), there was oil and carbon deposits on the exhaust valve guide/stems. The shop will also check the pistons, replace the rings and hone the bores.

I will clean up the aluminum suspension arms, etc... and will either gold anodize or iridite them before installing new ERP suspension bushings. Also WEVO engine mounts, Rennline rear engine carrier weld-in stiffener and a long list of other items. I will also do the same to the front suspension.

I will be taking my time with this and have fun!!!

Here are some pix of my project.

Again, a Big Thanks to all who take the time to document and share their experience!!!!!!
Attached Images      
Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun....and thanks for sharing

Emerald
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like fun! You may want to consider dry ice blasting on the suspension parts. It will remove the cosmoline and make them look like new. Just a thought.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome work! I will likely be looking at a similar project sometime in the near future, and the more guys who successfully complete the task, the more confident I become that maybe I could get it done. Question for you... Where did you get the yellow "lift cart" shown in your pictures? Some have suggested Harbor Frieght, but I have never had much luck with items from them...

Thanks again for the inspiration! Good luck on the rebuild!

Mike
Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like a project....good luck and keep us updated..........pictures dammit!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're in Titusville, we are neighbors. Let me know if you need a hand. I enjoy working on these cars and looks like you are deep in it.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

George,
Awesome! Looking forward to the progress pics.

Andreas
Old 09-07-2012, 02:31 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Michael S.
Where did you get the yellow "lift cart" shown in your pictures? Some have suggested Harbor Frieght, but I have never had much luck with items from them...

Thanks again for the inspiration! Good luck on the rebuild!

Mike
Mike,
The yellow cart came from GregSmithEquipment.com
It is rated for 500 lbs. good price. I made a wood support that fits the width of the lift table. I like it.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree on those paving the way; I've learned almost everything I know about p-cars from Rennlist and a little help from the interwebz. The collective knowledge here is fascinating, and I am very, very grateful to have been a part of this site for a long time. It has changed my life for the better!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations on the drop and the beginning of a what sounds to be a great project. I had a lot of fun dropping my engine a while back, all possible thanks to the nice folks here on the forum
Old 09-10-2012, 02:17 PM
ashirji
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Melbourne. Would like to meet other RLers from the space coast
Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

^2

Take your time and have fun. Glad to see you make the decision, you won't go back.

A few tips which I am sure you know, but I will state anyway.

1) Get a set of factory manuals

2) Get a copy of Porsche PET parts program or use this site here for parts numbers and parts blow ups http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/

3) WD40 softens cosmoline nicely allowing it to be removed with a water based detergent like Oil Eater nicely. Apply WD40 and brush in then spray with detergent and wipe off.

4) Costco microfiber towels are great to have around. P21S and a microfiber finish to the chassis is a nice finishing touch.

5) A Harbor Freight soda blaster works wonders on the aluminum suspension bits and corroded cad plating, but makes a huge mess and you need a respirator. Still I would not go without this.

6) You can't have too many tools, if you take the suspension apart a press like those at Harbor Freight is essential to removing wheel bearings and suspension bushings. An air chisel works great to remove suspension bushings in the front control arms and the rear suspension sub frame mounts.

7) Rennlisters have sites on dismantles that are helpful like this one http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/
Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I want your garage......
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I share the OP's sentiments and I agree with BillW, I envy him his garage.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

The garage is my Man Cave... about a year ago the garage addition was added to the existing two car attached garage. First new section is an extra wide two car work area where the car lift is along with large storage shelves, grit blaster/80 gal compressor, work benches, and welding equipment. Next is a four car area with two 18' garage doors. This non-work area will be dressed up soon with chair rail, paint, etc...

Every car guy needs a big garage and lots of tools to do fun work!!!!!

Update, the trans has been separated from the engine, clutch/flywheel removed for replacement. I am stripping all that I can from the engine before it goes to a local shop for upper end rebuild, new rings/bore honed, and general look over for any other issues.

Life is Good!!!!

Quick Reply: A huge THANKS to those who paved the way