Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DME Relay Failure - I think it's the diode not the solder points.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 AM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DME Relay Failure - I think it's the diode not the solder points.

Hey Guys,

So it begins, my first time getting stranded in the P. Luckily I was relatively close to home and was able make up a 3 way jumper and get the car back into the garage. Once I got the car home I opened up the relay to inspect it and hopefully fix a bad solder point.

Unfortunately from my diagnosis it looks like all the solder points are fine. I inspected them under a magnifying glass and tested for continuity across them and I didn't come across any issues. Where I did have a problem was when I connected a 12V power supply across terminals 85b and 87 of the relay. Using a multimeter I took take a resistance reading across terminals 30 and 87b and got infinite resistance. It's worth mentioning that my relay is the updated 993.615.227.00 part number.

After poking around a little bit more I narrowed it down to the diode at the top of the relay. When testing it with a multimeter (using the ->+ function) I got a voltage drop of 0.115. When I did the same test on the exact same diode at the bottom of the relay I got a reading of 0.001.

So I'm going to order a new replacement DME relay tomorrow (I'll get the 993 part number) but I would like to use this relay as a spare. Does anyone have any suggestions on replacing that diode? More specifically what kind of diode do I need? It's relatively accessible so I should be able to get it with some time and patience.

TIA!

Martin
Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Dryfly57
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

I'd buy a second DME relay and trash the one that got you stranded.
Life is just too dam short....IMHO.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Martin,

Would you kindly share the part number? I'm lazy today, I admit it. I have to order a extra fuel pump relay for my 911SC and a trim piece for my 993 so I may as well get a DME relay, also.

Thank you.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 AM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard C2S
Martin,

Would you kindly share the part number? I'm lazy today, I admit it. I have to order a extra fuel pump relay for my 911SC and a trim piece for my 993 so I may as well get a DME relay, also.

Thank you.
993 615 227 01

I just got one from Sonnen Porsche for $61.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 AM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

The part number on my relay is 993 615 227 00. I wonder what the up-change to 01 signifies. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so I am having an issue where the car tries to start, but does not. I have 2x DME relays, original and a newer one from a few years ago. I keep both in the car.

On really hot days, or wet days, this seems to happen. I have gotten in the practice of removing the DME, and hitting it on the ground a few times, which seems to work, but not immediately. I was at AX last weekend, and it would not start for a few cranks, even after the hitting the relay. I am wondering if its just coincidence with the relay, and masking some other electrical issue.

My battery is most likely 5 years old, would that also be a potential issue in this case?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Martin,

I don't know what the up-change signifies, but Pelican lists it as 993 615 227 01, also. Theirs is made by Stribel, supposedly an OE supplier.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by levtron
so I am having an issue where the car tries to start, but does not. I have 2x DME relays, original and a newer one from a few years ago. I keep both in the car.

On really hot days, or wet days, this seems to happen. I have gotten in the practice of removing the DME, and hitting it on the ground a few times, which seems to work, but not immediately. I was at AX last weekend, and it would not start for a few cranks, even after the hitting the relay. I am wondering if its just coincidence with the relay, and masking some other electrical issue.

My battery is most likely 5 years old, would that also be a potential issue in this case?
JMHO, but it doesn't necessarily sound like a DME relay problem, here.

I'd need a lot more details than what you've written, but I'd be looking at the battery & and its cabling, connections, grounds, starter, if its not cranking when you turn the key.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Just ordered two of the 99361522701 DEM relays from Pelican. They should be here by the end of the week I hope. On a humorous side note the local indy parts shop wanted $65 for the relay while the dealer wanted $130. lol

I bought 2 from Pelican for $80 shipped. :-)

Quick Reply: DME Relay Failure - I think it's the diode not the solder points.