993 Forum 1995-1998

Do major mods to our cars 'make sense'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 993TurboCab
Thanks for the reply and nice comments Steve. I agree with you about the broad appeal, as it would definitely take the right buyer who is looking for something different. I think your idea sounds good but since I no longer have many of the stock parts, it may take more time/money to make it worthwhile in the end. Have to leave all options on the table, unfortunately keeping the car isn't one of them, and have already mentally written off the expected hit
TurboCab - Look at it this way, you didn't take a hit but had a good time. That is what it is all about IMHO, money is a facilitator for life not life itself.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:52 PM
993TurboCab
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Doc, I will let you know.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM
993TurboCab
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Cupcar, I definitely agree with you and your quote from Dr.Porsche is very relevant!
Old 10-31-2021, 11:13 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Wow! So much great 993 suspension information and explanation in the last few pages of this thread. Just bumping so others might see.

Also, does anyone have a copy of the SAE 940861 document? That’s how I landed in this thread.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:25 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,204 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by fnckr
Wow! So much great 993 suspension information and explanation in the last few pages of this thread. Just bumping so others might see.

Also, does anyone have a copy of the SAE 940861 document? That’s how I landed in this thread.
Agree. I did the below and it transformed the car. It grips and corners on rails now. You’d never guess it’s an old car. I would only add RS sway bars to the list.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
the charts ToSi posted are for a stock 993

to get the car to handle well in a track environment that all goes out the window

All the rubber has to be changed to either stiiffer rubber or mono-*****
starting at the front
Steering arms either RS inners w/ stiffer rubber or RSR/GT2 Evo w/ monoballs
front A arms either stiffer RS rubber or monoballs
RS wheel carriers and RS outer tie rods
8.5" wheels w/ n/b 9" or more w/ w/b

rear arms stiffer RS rubber or mono-*****
toe arm mono-ball
the other2 upper horizontal arms stiffer RS or mono-ball
sub-frame mounts solid I prefer non tilted for n/a cars
10" wheels on n/b, 11" or more on w/b

lower the car as much as you can stand, it's better to be lower than have wider wheels/ tires

aggressive track alignment by a shop that knows their stuff

appropriately valved very robust shocks

Neither the front nor rear will be squirming around making steering inputs on it's own and the car will be a joy
Old 11-01-2021, 09:42 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Shortly after buying my 993 about fifteen years ago... I had a TPC Supercharger installed and then had TPC Dyno Tune it at their shop in Maryland (322 rwhp). I could not be happier with the results... I have since upgraded the suspension (JRZ shocks) and replaced all of the bushings, bearings, etc...

I have found that the newer Turbos will out run me all the time... But that is Ok as I am getting up in years and have to be a bit careful. Driving this puppy on the Daytona road course track has been a highlight experience for me.

Do what you want and don't look back!!!
Old 11-02-2021, 12:16 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Sometimes it's great to bump such an old thread and look at it through today's lenses.

The answer to original the question is simple. Do you value ROI over driving experience? If so keep it stock. If not the forums are filled with tasteful mods that transform the driving experience while staying true to the spirit of what makes driving the 993 so special.

My turbo conversion beast managed to keep a NA like personality but it's just turned up to 11. It's not a old school big turbo nor a factory 993 turbo feel. It's more like a GT3 on steroids. While not the fastest out there it does maintain the personality that I feel is important to persevere.
The following users liked this post:
anguilla1980 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:38 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Yes, old thread.
Do major mods make sense?
To most people = no
To you = ?
It's just a car and your $$, do what makes you happy.

Craig
alsamrob4 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 01:40 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Yes, old thread.
Do major mods make sense?
To most people = no
To you = ?
It's just a car and your $$, do what makes you happy.

Craig
Craig
You pointed out the most important part, DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!

it doesn't matter if a mod makes sense or not ... again ... so long you're happy its exactly the right thing to do.
I stopped years ago the valuate other peoples cars (not talking about racing in specific classes, more about free track fun). If somebody has 1,600hp and is happy to make 3 laps ... not my thing but ok with me if he is happy ...

Having air cooled, a turbo and now also a GT3; i love the 3.2 on the street the most. The turbo seems to be more a Limo than a sports car (therefore its the daily right now), and the GT3 is no fun on the street at all. All the named are mostly stock.
The 993 on the other hand is my track toy and joy, it's a running (hopefully) never ending project as i find still possible improvements. Is it nuts already ... for sure, but what do i care. Is the GT3 easier to drive / faster ... most possible, but is it more fun ... not for me.
So let me spend $$$$ on parts, save $$ by doing most of the work by myself. On the way I still can scare some guys as they never thought what you can do with an old car on the track.
Me HAPPY, what do i care about others

IMHO only

Last edited by Holger3.2; 11-02-2021 at 01:43 PM.
bobbyp (11-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Do major mods to our cars 'make sense'?