Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do major mods to our cars 'make sense'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do major mods to our cars 'make sense'?

I'm just wondering what people think of doing major upgrades to 993's in an effort to make their performance 'competitive' with more modern cars even perhaps early GT3s?

The problem is of course, that we love certain aspects of these cars and don't want to give that up. This might include the classic looks, the air cooled engine, the smaller size or cockpit view, whatever makes you love it over an newer car. So working with this platform, is it crazy to try to 'catch-up' with say a 997, or would it be 'too' expensive, or a mish-mosh, or just held back by something unchangeable like chassis geometry or rigidity.

More specifically, I have upgraded brakes and suspension, flywheel and clutch several years ago and still want more. I think its more power I want but it is damn expensive to get anything noticeable. I drive at DE's and on the street. (sportingly). I could see easily dropping $$$ equal the value of the car to get something to meet my goals by wonder if it makes any sense to do this at all. (I assume I would have to upgrade other components as well as engine) Do you end up with a Frankenstein car that is not cohesive and is worth less? Maybe I should just buy a 6 GT3 but I love my C2. Can anyone relate? Anyone do this kind of upgrading and care to comment.

Feel free to comment on the general question as well as my specific case. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim W
I'm just wondering what people think of doing major upgrades to 993's in an effort to make their performance 'competitive' with more modern cars even perhaps early GT3s?
I couldn't care less. I like my 993 for what it is and in its time, it was right up there with the best.

If ultimate performance is at the top of your list, forget four wheels and move to two.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm with Alex! Enjoy your 993 for what it is, I think that's the point with a performance car from the mid to late 90's. Get a more modern car with all the hp that they come with. Besides it's always fun to fill a garage with a few cars that YOU can enjoy for what ever your mood desires....IMHO.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 554 Posts

I agree with where I think you are going. I tend to think that what makes a 993 special is the feel, the aesthetics, the smell, the tactile feedback... but not the outright speed. Spending a lot of money to make a 993 fast doesn't make much sense to me. You lose some of what makes it special and you won't ever really be all that fast. All other things being equal, a more modern Porsche will be so much faster and cheaper that it just seems strange. I have a 997 C2S that I use on the track and it is just a whole different level in terms of speed. The 993 would need a LOT of work to be competitive, but my 997 is not worth any more than my 993. And if I really wanted the best bang for the buck, there are even better options - like a 996 GT3 or a C6 Z06 or something.

But at the end of the day, any sort of DE type activity is about what gives you fun and satisfaction. There is no prize for first place. There is no right and no wrong. If vintage racing a $15M Ferrari at the pace of a Mustang rental car gets you going - good for you! If you want the absolute fastest lap times on a budget at the open lapping days, perhaps a retired Formula Continental for $40K is your best bet. Whatever floats your boat.

But in my particular case, I enjoy driving my 997 hard on the track and being in the top quartile of lap times of the instructor group at a PCA event while using the 993 for fun runs on nice days in the country. I can get much closer to its limits on the street without ending up in jail.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I already loved my car before I spent four figures to upgrade the gearbox and frankly it was the best money spent as it truly transformed the car. The US gearing is just wrong. Combined with everything else done to my car you could easily have a close to new one...no way (at least for me). It's surprising how much quicker the total package can be. You'd never get the money back if you sold it but if that's your concern you already have the wrong car to begin with.

Also as the others note don't bother chasing ultimate performance. Driveability, sporting enjoyment etc...can all be greatly enhanced but beyond what you've already done it gets expensive fast.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

I think that anything beyond the mods you've done will impact the value of the car. If that is important, then stop.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 993 can have some really basic major mods that make the car that much better. I was looking at supercharging the car and attempt to do the RWB conversion before mine was taken away.

I had a lot of fun with my supercharged RSX before.

Racing competitive I would probably want the slowest least modded version of the car, as that is something completely different.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I was going to put a GT3 engine in my car, but decided that more power was not the goal and it would change the character too much - point is why not buy a GT3 if power is what you want? I even went so far as to acquire a GT3 engine which I still have.

Frankly, I could afford a new GT3, and even thought about a GT3 RS, but really don't like the new cars and so choose to modify a 993 because I really love working on the car.

Planning, executing and doing the work myself is very rewarding too me, and the car will be "me" rather than just a bought bauble anyone could have.

So different strokes for different folks and you have to decide which strokes get you where you want to be.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim W.,

How about taking a test drive in a 993TT? Perhaps that would be a better way to go... 400HP, more if you want, and still an air-cooled 993.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Basically what I'm hearing (reading) is that you want better point-to-point acceleration, mainly for DE duty. OK, if you want to stay with a 993 platform, get a turbo.

Since you're from WI, I'll guess your main track is Road America. While I've never personally been there, I've certainly driven it enough on simulators to know that it's seriously about straight line speed. So when I figure a 996 GT3 pulls me at Thunderhill up the front straight to the tune of 3 car lengths/7 MPH trap speed, where you're running it's a whole 'nother deal.

So let's cut to the chase--you need to look at data from all chassis driven at their limits. Decide how much of the decreased lap times come from reduced time in the 1. corners, and 2. straights. A quick check of last year's Club Race doesn't show any 993s, but 964s running Stock and Production seem to be in the 2:34-6 range. The winning J car, a 996 GT3 was slightly quicker at 2:29. Only you can decide what 5-7 seconds is worth. And there was a stock class 993 Turbo @ 2:31, but he was down the order mixed in with the 964s.

I'll make one comment on how I see your car setup, and say that PSS9 is wholly inadequate for anything beyond an upper-intermediate level of performance.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this debate with myself as well, all the time, because I love everything about the 993 -- the aesthetics, the size, etc -- except that I want more power. IMHO, if you're going to keep your car and you're otherwise happy with it, it's justifiable to drop $10K for something like 9M heads and cams in the course of an engine rebuild (this is what I'm going to do). If you're planning on selling it in a couple of years, keep it stock, of course.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Money aside, I think to get a 993 to that level would destroy it for any other use but the track. I have decided to get as much as I can out of myself, and the car as it is. Then, in 2-3- years when 997 GT3s are down in the $50K range, (and they will be,) buy one for the track.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

I sense the old tension of trying to have one car that does everything.

One can't have a car that will be really good at the track and still be full of stereo equipment, A/C, and other amenities with a ride like a pillow.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default My approach...

It's a car, it's paid for, it's mine and life is short, resale be damned. The more mods you do, potentially the few buyers when it is time to sell. Expect this and know it will take longer to sell the car. Who cares, I want my car to perform to the optimal level and still be streetable, well sort of...I don't want a GT3, I don't want a 400 HP Turbo car. These are faster than hades, but in my opinion, lack finesse, simply brut power that gets you there quickly, and can scare the pants off you in the process.

I have taken my car nearly as far as it can go and still be street legal, and somewhat comfortable too. It weighs under 2,900 Lbs, sans driver and fuel. The car cost weight by removing stock interior and carpets, stereo and speakers, and going to 993 RS carpet kit and RS door panels as well as delete the air bags and lower dash cover (Rennline), Optima battery, removal of heater blower, Fabspeed 200 cell cats and X pipe, FD Motorsports Stage 1 mufflers, racing seats for stock seats and no rear seats.

I have retained:
-Power sun roof
-Power windows
-Air Conditioning
-Stock front and rear bumpers

My next projects:
-Rebuild/Re-valve PSS9s for stiffer springs
-Build a close ratio tranny, with new 3rd, 4th and 5th, and the old 5th becomes 6th, with forged shifting forks, replace steel synchros as needed.
-GT2 uprights and GT2 tie rod ends.

The suspension will address body roll and Hoosier R6 as well as Hankook Z 214
tires work better with stiffer springs.

From the exterior, GT2 front splitters,993RS side skirts and 993 Aero Kit1B tail. I just love this look...in my opinion, this is about the best looking later model Porsche car there is....

And just like my inspiration, Cupcar, I want the car to be sort of street legal....I like to take a drive on the back roads of the California Central Coast from time to time. As long as I can pass California smog, that's good enough for me.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-04-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Pell check
The following users liked this post:
Jarg1 (11-02-2021)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
It's a car, it's paid for, it's mine and life is short, resale be damned. The more mods you do, potentially the few buyers when it is time to sell. Expect this and know it will take longer to sell the car. Who cares, I want my car to perform to the optimum level...I don't want a GT3, I don't want a 400 HP Turbo car. The are faster than hades, but in my opinion, lack fines, simply brut power gets you there.

I have taken my car nearly as far as it can go and still be street legal, and somewhat comfortable too. It weighs under 2,900 Lbs, sans driver and fuel. The car cost weight by removing stock interior and carpets, stereo and speakers, and going to 993 RS carpet kit and RS door panels as well as delete the air bags and lower dash cover (Rennline), Optima battery, removal of heater blower, Fabspeed 200 cell cats and X pipe, FD Motorsports Stage 1 mufflers, racing seats for stock seats and no rear seats.

I have retained:
-Power sun roof
-Power windows
-Air Conditioning
-Stock front and rear bumpers

My next projects:
-Rebuild/Re-valve PSS9s for stiffer springs
-Build a close ratio tranny, with new 3rd, 4th and 5th, and the old 5th becomes 6th, with forged shifting forks, replace steel synchros as needed.
-GT2 uprights and GT2 tie rod ends.

The suspension will address body roll and Hoosier R6 as well as Hankook Z 214
tires work better with stiffer springs.

From the exterior, GT2 front splitters,993RS side skirts and 993 Aero Kit1B tail. I just love this look...in my opinion, this is about the best looking later model Porsche car there is....

And just like my inspiration, Cupcar, I want the car to be sort of street legal....I like to take a drive on the back roads of the California Central Coast from time to time. As long as I can pass California smog, that's good enough for me.
Nobody I know has more fun with a 993 than the guy above.

Quick Reply: Do major mods to our cars 'make sense'?