Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Los Angeles to Halifax: the blue '96 coupe delivery blog

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three 993s confirmed for fish and chips tomorrow night. Anyone else in?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Great trip blog. I want to do an epic trip like this next summer complete with photos. It is inspirational.
--Michael
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, we sure did and we are not finished yet, have a new navigator flying in Friday for the trip back to Halifax, more on this later. .

Cheers!
Lloyd
Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default Day 12 - Ottawa 993 Gathering. . .

Met up with Alex and Paul at LaPointe's Seafood Grill, we had a blast, the food was excellent and the conversation was even better and the wealth of knowledge out of these 2 was unbelievable, I don't think there is much they have not tried and/or solved yet with the 993. What they have not solved, Garth has so with these resources I feel really lucky to join their "Board" as Paul coined it today. . .

Looking forward to hooking up sometime in the future either in Ottawa or in Nova Scotia if we can get them down for one of our events. . .

See pics of our Gathering and 993 photo shoot, Alex could not get home to bring his out so we have an invisible bright yellow 993 missing!!! but you will see it one day when I get a pic, Alex can plug a Pic in if he so chooses. . . . and he can plug his website here also, I did not ask permission so cannot assume it would be ok but he can respond if he so chooses for this as well.

Kicking back tonigyht for some much needed rest before the long slog home tomorrow night. . . but I will have assistance form my pal Rod, the "Duke of Waverley" More to come on the next episode. . . .

Cheers!
Lloyd
Attached Images    
Old 09-13-2012, 03:26 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Originally Posted by lcorkum
Met up with Alex and Paul at LaPointe's Seafood Grill, we had a blast, the food was excellent and the conversation was even better and the wealth of knowledge out of these 2 was unbelievable, I don't think there is much they have not tried and/or solved yet with the 993. What they have not solved, Garth has so with these resources I feel really lucky to join their "Board" as Paul coined it today. . .

Looking forward to hooking up sometime in the future either in Ottawa or in Nova Scotia if we can get them down for one of our events. . .

See pics of our Gathering and 993 photo shoot, Alex could not get home to bring his out so we have an invisible bright yellow 993 missing!!! but you will see it one day when I get a pic, Alex can plug a Pic in if he so chooses. . . . and he can plug his website here also, I did not ask permission so cannot assume it would be ok but he can respond if he so chooses for this as well.

Kicking back tonigyht for some much needed rest before the long slog home tomorrow night. . . but I will have assistance form my pal Rod, the "Duke of Waverley" More to come on the next episode. . . .

Cheers!
Lloyd
The Photo Op was in front of the War Memorial directly across from the Restaurant, made for an excellent photo location however the camera did not cooperate exactly as planned, next time I will need my SLR. . .
Attached Images    
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

That looks like the extact same hotel room we staied in on our last trip to Ottawa..

Holiday Inn on Cooper st.?

Looks like the trip has been excellent, good luck with your new p_Car.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic meeting you last night, Lloyd. I hope your trip home goes smoothly, and you don't run out of paper towels. I want to see a picture of the flags flying at the NS border, if you pass through in the daylight. Not sure how well light the place is...

I can assure you there is lots I have not done/solved on the 993 yet, but it has been a great journey so far.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default Day 13 Ottawa - Montreal

The drive down to Montreal was uneventful and not to long, a 2 hour spin behind the wheel got me to the Fairfield Hotel by the airport and found a temporary resting place before heading off for Nova Scotia Friday Afternoon late, the last leg of our journey. I have a new co-pilot flying in after lunch that will accompany me back to Halifax. This is a great relief due to drowsiness on a long overnight slog. I am looking forward to his arrival.

I have attached a few pics of the uneventful drive down 417 to Montreal and in her final resting place before hitting the last 1000 Miles or so. . . .

From the Unveiling to the Homecoming it has been a great ride so far and the car has performed flawlessly, looking forward to crossing that Border tonight back to the Homeland!!!

Later. . . .
Lloyd
Attached Images       
Old 09-14-2012, 10:49 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice write up and pics. What a great journey with a great car. Congrats!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Fun. Love road trips andnlotsnof pix.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok, so the total mileage of the trip is......................
Old 09-15-2012, 06:20 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default Day 14 Montreal - Halifax

I was not looking forward to this part of the journey due to the long overnight slog to Halifax after putting in a full day at work in Montreal, my Friend Rod alias 'The Duke of Waverley" flew into Montreal to help with the long slog home. the drive went exceptionally well with no issues and Rod made for good company and helped with the quick exit in heavy traffic in Montreal over the Champlain Bridge and up route 20 to Riviere De Loup then across to Edmunston where we gased up for a bit less than in QC. Fuel prices here above the 40th parallel are horendous compared to the US. We traded seats every 3 hours in the early going and every 2 hours in the final run for the money. . . arrived home somewhere before 3:00 PM so we made good time despite some construction in QC heading up route 20. . .

Attached a re a few pics and some not so great ones at the border with the flags flying when we arrived back in Nova Scotia, this was a special requies from my new found friend in Ottawa, Paul. . . and we need a streatch . . . .

Mileage from pick up in LA to rest in Halifax in 14 days is Approx 5,000 Miles, there were a few side trips in there to Napa, work in Ontario & Montreal working out to approx 4,600 Miles Door to Door. . . .

Thanks for following along, we have had as much fun driving and documenting this trip as all of you have looking forward to what the day might bring. Our hope is for this blog to become a template for the rest of you out there who might consider a significant trip of your own and to follow through with a documentary of your experience. This is what driving a Porsche is all about. A track shows you what you got and the road shows you what you have been missing, all in all both have their places and combined they reward you with life experiences not to be had in any better way than driving your Porsche!

I will coin a phrase i hear often from Stacey David, "what are you working on" so get out there and enjoy the road and write about it, we all want to look forward to our next experience and sharing them helps other get out there.

One other experience I had along the way that stands out is the support I received at Porsche of Omaha when i was trying to figure out what kept setting off my alarm, it was me stuffing too much in the boot and triggering the latch alarm, they took the car in and emptied the full boot then measured Voltage in the Battery, plugged in their diagnostic reader and confirmed where the issue had occured, then sent us on our way, all this at closing time, I was impressed and thankful for their assistance and want to give a shout out to their helpful team.

Get out there and let us know your plans and document everything along the way. . . . looking forward to "what are you working on" episode. . . .

I will follow up with some stastics we have gathered along the way just to keep things interesting. . .

Last but not least, Thanks Chuck for a wonderful experience in closing this deal to the support and preparation you did in keeping this 993 in pristine condition and ready for a road trip like this. . . I had confidence right from the get go that you were a stand up guy that one could lean on with respect and admiration for keeping this car in perfect condition, I hope I can do the same, it won't be without trying as I am pretty meticulous as well. I plan to take very good care of her for the next owner in her long life, that day will come but it is a long. long, long way off. . . . . .

Cheers everyone!!!

Lloyd & Joanne

Pics:
* Rod at the Wheel, looking for an F1 Track, thought he was in Dubai. . .again. . . not the same thrill as a Boeing 767 but trilling just the same. . . I will attach a pic he took in Dubai at the F1 Track with our favourites turning in some laps. . . . you should recognize them under the Musco Lights. . . .
* Road Pic
* Pics at the border with the Nova Scotia Flags flying high on a beautiful night.
Attached Images      
Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default F1 Track " The Yas Marina Circuit" in Dubai

Rod's son in law Noel, bless his heart provided wonderful seats for this shot prior to the F1 Race!!! He was planning his Porsche debut early. . . .

Enjoy!!!
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default Day 15 - A Day at Rest. . . .

Here are a few pics resting in her new home a long way from LA but this will be good for her DNA. . . just another cog in her long life. . . . We will be sure to take excellent care of her while she resides with us. . . .

Cheers!
L & J
Attached Images   
Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default Porsche's in the Driveway. . . .

I now have too many Porsche's in the driveway but they are two of the best ever produced in Studdgart at least in my opinion. The 3.2 / G50 combination is a rock solid combination that saw few troubles throughout it's life and my research with the 993 tells me I should be in for more of the same. It will be a sad day to see the Targa go but we sure enjoyed her while we took care of her for the next lucky owner. . .

The Subaru is the Grocery Hauler. . .

Cheers!
Lloyd
Attached Images     

Last edited by lcorkum; 09-16-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:42 PM
firesm
Pro

Great thread Lloyd, and I'm really sorry I missed meeting you in Ottawa! Congrats and enjoy the car.

Quick Reply: Los Angeles to Halifax: the blue '96 coupe delivery blog