Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911Chips - Solid Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012 | 01:19 PM
T0M993
Instructor

Post 911Chips - Solid Improvement

After reading success stories from other members who have chipped their 993s, I ordered one from 911Chips.com for my '95 C2 Cab on Monday afternoon. Arrived yesterday and I installed it last night. Overall installation was simple with the instructions and took about 20 minutes. I must say that I am very impressed with how much of a performance change this simple software update made to my car. I started her up after the install and could tell immediately the car was idling a lot smoother. Took it out at 3000rpm max for about 10 minutes until my oil temp was at 8 o'clock and then put her on duty. The increase in mid range pull is significant and very noticeable. Low end lag has been reduced a bit and overall throttle response seemed better.

Now to be clear, I was already in love with the way my C2 drove. This just makes me love it even more. In my opinion, for those of us who don't have the time or money to perform major upgrades or buy a turbo, this chip was a great way to improve performance on what is already a great machine. 911Chips has my recommendation.

Happy Motoring.
Old 08-31-2012 | 05:56 PM
SOS
Pro

Did you order the 91 or 93 octane program?
Old 08-31-2012 | 06:01 PM
T0M993
Instructor

93 octane as that fuel is commonly available here in Texas.
Old 09-01-2012 | 07:54 PM
T0M993
Instructor

I also wanted to add that the vehicle passed state inspection with the chip installed this morning.
Old 09-01-2012 | 10:01 PM
ble2011
Drifting

This was my next mod I wanted to do. Now I know exactly what to order. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-02-2012 | 01:28 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"how much of a performance change this simple software update"

Please! Too bad few if any really understand what that is and what they're buying.
Read here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-the-myth.html
Old 09-02-2012 | 02:34 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Is this just for the 95?
Old 09-02-2012 | 03:04 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"how much of a performance change this simple software update"

Please! Too bad few if any really understand what that is and what they're buying.
Read here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-the-myth.html
Phew, after reading the above post in it's entirety, I guess I'm back to not replacing the chip. I'm not disappointed with my current performance, just thought if it could be better, why not?
Old 09-03-2012 | 01:54 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by ble2011
Phew, after reading the above post in it's entirety, I guess I'm back to not replacing the chip. I'm not disappointed with my current performance, just thought if it could be better, why not?
You really should call me sometime: there is FAR more to the story that what has been written.
Old 09-03-2012 | 05:19 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ble2011
You really should be very careful listening to Loren on this topic. Unfortunately he's repeatedly proven that he doesn't understand some very basic things about tuning, and thus is not someone you want to be taking tuning advice from.

This from someone who, unlike Loren, doesn't sell chips and can claim to be relatively unbiased.
Old 09-03-2012 | 04:13 PM
T0M993
Instructor

Hey Loren- I was waiting for you to chime in. I read all the chip threads on this forum before proceeding and after a while started ignoring your comments altogether (they can be found on every chip-related thread). The bottom line is I am happy with the chip and wanted to pass along my experience.

Wishing all a happy Labor Day.
Old 09-05-2012 | 04:44 AM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Steve Wong's web site says to expect "a 10-20% increase in part throttle torque" WTF is that? Who cares how far the pedal is pushed? Over to you Loren....
Old 09-05-2012 | 07:54 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4X4SCHE
Steve Wong's web site says to expect "a 10-20% increase in part throttle torque" WTF is that? Who cares how far the pedal is pushed? Over to you Loren....
Why would you go "over to Loren" on this topic? He's not only completely biased, he's also repeatedly proven he doesn't understand the basics of tuning a motor.
  • He made a two day argument over on Pelican less than two months ago ranting that tuning a twin plug motor required more ignition advance. He supplied supporting data for his case, charts and everything. Turns out twin plugs actually requires less advance (which he never admitted but now agrees with); more ignition advance actually blows the motor. This was the tuning advice he was repeatedly giving to the original poster at the top of his lungs!
  • He has repeatedly argued that tuning a motor properly requires "special equipment" not available to a regular tuner. The reality is that the best in the business, ie Porsche motorsport, can tune a motor just fine without it- I've seen them in action.
  • He has still not understood the interaction between detonation, air fuel ratio and ignition- this is tuning 101. Not surprising, as he clearly has no actual experience tuning motors.
  • He has a business selling stock chips, and this forum is clearly his internet sales strategy to do that.

There is a reason Loren has been repeatedly banned, and it's not because he's smarter or knows something other people don't. I'm the last person to say chips come without compromises, but please, for the love of god, don't get your tuning advice from Loren.
Old 09-05-2012 | 12:39 PM
trooper4x4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by T0M993
After reading success stories from other members who have chipped their 993s, I ordered one from 911Chips.com for my '95 C2 Cab on Monday afternoon. Arrived yesterday and I installed it last night. Overall installation was simple with the instructions and took about 20 minutes. I must say that I am very impressed with how much of a performance change this simple software update made to my car. I started her up after the install and could tell immediately the car was idling a lot smoother. Took it out at 3000rpm max for about 10 minutes until my oil temp was at 8 o'clock and then put her on duty. The increase in mid range pull is significant and very noticeable. Low end lag has been reduced a bit and overall throttle response seemed better.

Now to be clear, I was already in love with the way my C2 drove. This just makes me love it even more. In my opinion, for those of us who don't have the time or money to perform major upgrades or buy a turbo, this chip was a great way to improve performance on what is already a great machine. 911Chips has my recommendation.

Happy Motoring.
I can attest to this
Best $375 upgrade I've spent on my 97 C2S

I was a bit skeptical at first. Told myself, if I buy one and it doesn't work, I can always revert back to my old chip. The "free refund" thing was just a bonus to sweeten the deal

But when my mechanic had it in place and started up the C2S, we immediately noticed the smoother idling with the disappearance of the engine vibration. Engine became more responsive to the throttle
I'm not returning this chip!
Old 09-05-2012 | 01:33 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Should one have exhaust and cats done first before chipping or will he chip acclamates to the new changes as it goes along?

Quick Reply: 911Chips - Solid Improvement