993 Forum 1995-1998

Selling Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 PM
User 121721
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling Regrets

OK guys, I'm posting this so that those of you who have sold their 993 can reveal their regrets in selling!!

Why am I posting this?

I'm the original owner of a 1998 C4 cab, silver over black, who is really seriously thinking of selling her. This was my dream car back in the mid 90s but things have changed so much (family wise) that I barely drive her anymore (except to keep her in shape -- it's a forced thing).

But then every time I drive her, I think, "how could I get rid of this car?!!??" I put Walrod bushings, M030 sway bars, Bilstein HD shocks, and a Schnell strut brace on the thing and the damn thing drives like a go cart!!!

So tell me your stories, and help me make the right decision.....

TIA

Mark
Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Simply doesn't sound like your "living" that dream anymore. What is it that makes you not drive it much anymore?
work
family
traffic/commute
or simply afraid to get a chip or scratch on your dream machine?

You didn't say if it's a very low mile garage queen, or a cared for mid mileage beauty.

My suggestion is to identify the reasons you don't drive it as much...figure out how you CAN start driving it agian more frequently...then decide. Maybe the passion will re-ignite, maybe it won't.

I'm fortunate that I can DD my car, not everyday, to every job...but most of the time. I don't live in a large metropolitan area, some commuter traffic is light, and parking is safe and secure. I know that many rennlisters simply will not subject their cars to traffic congestion, etc.

So, figure out a way to drive it more often.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow
Magdaddy
You really hit the nail on the head
Great questions
Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I told my wife to pick out a nice satin interior for when they bury me in mine. If you dont REALLY LOVE IT than you can let it go. If you get sad just buy another. You can do this Nemo!!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 PM
User 121721
Racer

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Simply doesn't sound like your "living" that dream anymore. What is it that makes you not drive it much anymore?
work
family
traffic/commute

You didn't say if it's a very low mile garage queen, or a cared for mid mileage beauty.

My suggestion is to identify the reasons you don't drive it as much...figure out how you CAN start driving it agian more frequently...then decide. Maybe the passion will re-ignite, maybe it won't.

I'm fortunate that I can DD my car, not everyday, to every job...but most of the time. I don't live in a large metropolitan area, some commuter traffic is light, and parking is safe and secure. I know that many rennlisters simply will not subject their cars to traffic congestion, etc.

I'm retired and I live on an Island with a max 30 mph speed limit. People drive go-carts here.

I have to drive her off Island to get her the exercise she needs.

When I can leave this place six years from now (family issues preclude moving before then), things may be different... question is should I wait all that time. I'm thinking not. What are the seller's regrets??
Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 PM
User 121721
Racer

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
work
family
traffic/commute

Oh BTW I've driven her about 5-6,000 miles in the last 4 years. She has 53,000 on her. So not low mileage garage queen, more of a middle ager....
Old 08-30-2012, 10:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I cannot add any value to what has been posted

I will only say...
I have had a few, work on them...

And seeking another.
The next one, I will have for a very long time
Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 PM
95carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just gotta get out there and drive it. Sounds like my Ski Nautique, I never get to the water but when I do, its all smiles.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:53 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

I've sold or had to sell several really fun cars (Not all Porsches) and the regret I've felt has lasted only as long as it takes me to get focused on the next challenge/interest (Sometimes automotive, sometimes not) that comes along.

It sounds as if there are circumstances in your life that are making the ownership of your car more a burden than a pleasure. I'm of the belief that one should never bear an burden that can be ethically shed. That said, you're the only one who can determine whether shedding this particular material possession will make your life better or worse.

Good luck...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 PM
moeck
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

You may not drive her much now, so just take care of her while your family (kids) grow. Down the road your 993 will still be a wondrful car to have. Many years ago, in 1976 I sold my Carrera RS. Didn't drive her much, thought a turbo would be better to have. It wouldn't be a daily driver today, but it is regretably the nost fun Porsche I ever owned (forget about it's value). There will never be any more air-cooled 911-993. Feel lucky you have your 993. I constantly look at getting a GT-3 or 996-997 turbo. But every time I go out to the garage, I just smile and say, ths is the one! May buy another but the 993 will go nowhere!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:31 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been thinking about selling mine. What I do is imagine its gone and see how I feel about that. I still have it.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:31 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quadcammer must be walking his robot dog and hasn't seen this thread yet.

My only input is your original owner status. Pretty impressive. I'd have 28 cars in 14 years.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Scheurer
I'm retired and I live on an Island with a max 30 mph speed limit. People drive go-carts here.

I have to drive her off Island to get her the exercise she needs.

When I can leave this place six years from now (family issues preclude moving before then), things may be different... question is should I wait all that time. I'm thinking not. What are the seller's regrets??
I lived on a private island in the Caribbean for 3 1/2 years and fully understand how frustrating it can be just to want to hop in a car and run it up the gears when you cannot. Everyone there drove mini mokes and drank heavily.

Any possibly of storing it at a friends off island? I have machinery stored in three different states.

But more to the point, as has been said here before, if you are considering selling, then nothing we type can convince to you keep her long term, and you will end up selling her before too much time passes.

If you would like an offer, send me a PM.

Regards,
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 PM
User 121721
Racer

Originally Posted by DALLWA
Quadcammer must be walking his robot dog and hasn't seen this thread yet.

My only input is your original owner status. Pretty impressive. I'd have 28 cars in 14 years.
Well, I bought her in October 1997 and have coveted her ever since.

The Walrod bushings and the Bilsteins made the biggest difference in keeping her -- made her feel like new.

If I just hold her another six years it's back to the East Coast somewhere and maybe I'll drive her more.

Why do people get attached to a stinkin' machine???
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by DALLWA
Quadcammer must be kicking and scowling at his robot dog and hasn't seen this thread yet.
FIFY.

Quick Reply: Selling Regrets