Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Heal/Toe Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm... I tried something like that but would still touch the gas pedal while braking. Maybe it's time to see what else is out there.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:56 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, I think it's important to note that on any car with a bottom hinged gas pedal one has better control over the throttle blip the higher up on the gas pedal they are using to blip. That said, doing what is shown in the diagram might technically work, but one has to apply a lot more force on the pedal compared to if one used the "big toe/little toe" technique which results in hitting the gas pedal at a much higher point. In other words, the further away from the fulcrum point the less force is requried thus giving more control. For me, doing the "big toe / little toe" method allows me much more control with my braking/rev matching.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

first step in learning how to heel\toe is getting your rev-matching spot on.. if you can run up and down the gears at a decent speed nice and smooth then you are ready to add pedal #3 into the mix. Understanding how a clutch physically is also recommended!

phil.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:12 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Understanding how a clutch physically is also recommended!

+++964

I think an understanding of the entire concept is necessary, and valuable, actually necessary, for those who desire to take their driving to the next level.

Beyond the basic knowledege of the operation of the clutch, perhaps more important is a thourough understanding of the whys. Why heel/toe? Why rev-match? Why the smooth transitions?

As speeds increase and the chassis becomes more and more loaded, the driver who understands the above and develops an intuitive sense for the car's balance will progress far faster (and far more comfortably) than one who does not.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

On my car, the pedals are at the right hight under hard braking, which makes it a bit trickier under light or moderate braking.

I use the right side of my foot to hit the gas pedal, or more accurately, the edge of the sole just ahead of the heel. I kind of roll it over. The left half of the ball and toes are on the brake (not the full width of the foot). I roll my foot to the right and at the same time rotate the heal to the right and onto the throttle.

The tricky part, however you do it, is keeping constant pressure on the brake while blipping the throttle. for a while I found myself "blipping" the brake at the same time.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
In addition to all of the other good comments, be sure to try heel and toeing with a shoe that has a thin, rubber sole. It's a little bit harder to do with a thick running shoe or, God forbid, hiking boots.
Spot on a good set of shoes makes a difference esp when practicing under not hard braking situations.

Just like skipping rope or double skip rope, eventually you'll get it understanding the timing etc.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Back in the day, my 95 993 and 96 C4S both had the brake pedal too high for easy heel and toe (side of foot in reality). The brake pedal can be lowered (unlike the new cars, it is adjustable). Remember to adjust the brake light switch as well. I wonder if it is the Toyota syndrome, but the 2010 and 2011 Gt3RS has the brake pedal too high for H and T. Had to add a spacer under the gas pedal to correct.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
The pedals are height adjustable.

I brought the brake pedal down and the gas up. I also used a "ultimate pedal" winged gas pedal to bring the pedal up a bit.

Still takes a bit of work, but far easier than it was.
Anytime someone suggests this, they should ALWAYS note that the person adjusting make doubly sure that the brake pedal not go below the gas pedal when fully depressed.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heel and toe is very much dependent on how you drive, and how you like to move your feet across the pedals. Personally I tried the "big toe - little toe" method and it felt awful on my feet and ankle. Then I tried to "heel and toe" and it worked fine for me. I also changed to the Rennline pedals and found heel and toe much easier; the bad on the pedals, is now the accelerator is higher and a little less comfortable--especially on a long trip.

Here is a nice video which help me understand how it works.

--Joe
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Anytime someone suggests this, they should ALWAYS note that the person adjusting make doubly sure that the brake pedal not go below the gas pedal when fully depressed.
Well, it actually helps you be faster during corner entry.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Funny you of all people mention this. So the day after I pick Ruby up from you, I'm fiddling with brake pedal height in the hotel parking lot. Get it where I want it. (My pedal heights are weird, relative to what most people like.) Well, after I hit the track that weekend, lo-and-behold there I am with on the floorboard braking. Oh well. Survived the day, but made it much more entertaining than I otherwise would have liked.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I do not get all this fancy pedal stuff - I can brake and blip/control the throttle simultaneously easily with the 993 regular pedals, no issues, no height adjustments. Mind you, I have been doing that for coming up to 40 years now, and learned to drive on a 3-ton truck with NO syncros, and after we lost the clutch pedal, with NO clutch at all (this was on public roads but very quiet - hauling hog fuel if anyone knows what that is, and you started the truck in gear... eventually we lost the brakes, used it for about 6 months after that, and then scrapped the truck).

Perhaps I have the right sized feet for this (11), but I have not had any problems with any of the cars I have driven with pedal heights, or spacing - on the track or street. Double clutching, controlling braking and throttle at the same time, speed/rpm matching ->it just takes practice, practice and practice, and eventually your muscle memory will develop and you will just get a feel for it.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-31-2012, 12:46 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learnt how to heel-toe by watching the Japanese car series "Best Motoring". It often has camera footages of the driver's feet in action. I think you'll learn how to heel-toe more quickly by watching a video rather that reading the steps on paper.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 AM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Watch this video:
Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Funny you of all people mention this. So the day after I pick Ruby up from you, I'm fiddling with brake pedal height in the hotel parking lot. Get it where I want it. (My pedal heights are weird, relative to what most people like.) Well, after I hit the track that weekend, lo-and-behold there I am with on the floorboard braking. Oh well. Survived the day, but made it much more entertaining than I otherwise would have liked.
Certainly, if there was an issue, all bets are off. But to simply adjust a pedal down to gas pedal height without forethought, isn't good. She hadn't been to a track in almost two years, and I'd never wanted for brakes then.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Heal/Toe Shifting