FDM sport cat videos

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
I too would like some feedback on this. The StgIII/sportcat combo seemed to stumble from a standstill as if the there was a power dip at low revs. May not be as noticeable with the StgII's, but can you compare the standing start between the two setup's ie StgII/OEM cats and StgII/FD sportcats.
I will let you know. Probably no time to take it out tonight. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't see these on the FD site. Are they available?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
the Stage III with sport cats is VERY LOUD! Probably too loud for a street car.
Sounds like Supercup territory
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FD Motorsports
I think that may be a decent ballpark.

Stock muffler/stock cat: Idle 66 db, @4500 rpm : 85 db*
Stage II w/stock cat : Idle 69.1 db, @4500 rpm : 95.4 db
Stage III w/stock cat.: Idle: 75.1 db, @4500 rpm : 99.1 db
Stage II w/sport cats.: Idle: 76.5 db, @4500 rpm: 100.1 db
Stage III w/sport cats: Idle: 79.9 db, @4500 rpm: 101.4 db

*compliments of jhg41977
Hmm so I'm guessing stock muffler with sport cats would be somewhere between Stage II stock cat and Stage III stock cat? That could be the sweet spot.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Hmm so I'm guessing stock muffler with sport cats would be somewhere between Stage II stock cat and Stage III stock cat? That could be the sweet spot.
That's what I'm thinking too...
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

My stage 1 with FD sport cat is louder than my stage II w/ Stock cat (perfect in my opinion). Not sure about stock muffler with sport cat though. My guess is stock muffler w/ sport cat similar to stage II stock cat.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraX
My stage 1 with FD sport cat is louder than my stage II w/ Stock cat (perfect in my opinion). Not sure about stock muffler with sport cat though. My guess is stock muffler w/ sport cat similar to stage II stock cat.
Good point. In my case it would be factory Motorsound/sport cat which based on hearing Stage II/stock cat over the weekend would be similar to your Stage I/sport cat setup, and perfect. Although I'm not sure exactly what Stage I is, it being quieter than Stage II means that Motorsound/sport cat will be louder than Stage I/sport cat since Motorsound and Stage II are very similar.

Anyone confused yet?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
In for the LPMM/Sport Cat sound numbers.

+1 .... I'm similairly positioned. The LPMM muffler mod has suit me fine for years, with the new 200 cell sport cat's, even better.
Sign me up for a group buy, otherwise I'm in for new 200 cell sport cat's.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't see these on the FD site. Are they available?
+ 1.

Darin, You'l let the Rennlist gang know when these are ready for purchase.
I'm in.

Danke.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Good point. In my case it would be factory Motorsound/sport cat which based on hearing Stage II/stock cat over the weekend would be similar to your Stage I/sport cat setup, and perfect. Although I'm not sure exactly what Stage I is, it being quieter than Stage II means that Motorsound/sport cat will be louder than Stage I/sport cat since Motorsound and Stage II are very similar.

Anyone confused yet?
Chris M.

Stage 1 mufflers are definitely louder than the factory motorsound mufflers. I have both and there is no comparison. I still have stock cats and prefer the Stage 1 or LPMM mufflers to the motorsound mufflers. So if you heard somone's Stage 1 or LPMM mufflers with a 200 cell sport cat it will be a little louder than the sport cat with the factory motorsound mufflers. Your comment that Stage II and motorsound mufflers are similiar is unfortunately not accurate. Stage II mufflers and motorsound mufflers are worlds apart in the noise they create. In all honesty the factory motorsound mufflers are barely louder than the standard stock muffler. I do think that the Stage I or factory motorsound muffler might be the way to go with a sport cat if you are not looking for a sound that wakes the neighbors. It seems some people on this board have replaced their Stage II's with Stage I's after purchasing sport cats. In the end it is all personal preference. Report back when you get your sport cats since I am also interested in paring sport cats with my motorsound or LPMM (equivalent to Stage 1) mufflers.

Last edited by csmab; 12-05-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: error
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by csmab
Chris M.

Stage 1 mufflers are definitely louder than the factory motorsound mufflers. I have both and there is no comparison. I still have stock cats and prefer the Stage 1 or LPMM mufflers to the motorsound mufflers. So if you heard somone's Stage 1 or LPMM mufflers with a 200 cell sport cat it will be a little louder than the sport cat with the factory motorsound mufflers. Your comment that Stage II and motorsound mufflers are similiar is unfortunately not accurate. Stage II mufflers and motorsound mufflers are worlds apart in the noise they create. In all honestly the factory motorsound mufflers are barely louder than the standard stock muffler. I do think that the Stage I or factory motorsound muffler might be the way to go with a sport cat if you are not looking for a sound that wakes the neighbors. It seems some people on this board have replaced their Stage II's with Stage I's after purchasing sport cats. In the end it is all personal preference.
Thanks for the data point. I heard from the outside and rode in a car with Stage IIs a few days ago and they were just barely louder than my factory motorsound mufflers, which to my ears wasn't loud at all. I admit I was really surprised as was my passenger that there wasn't a lot more volume from the Stage IIs.

In any case, it isn't too important at this point because the consensus seems to be, as you said, that Stage I/stock/motorsound is the preferred muffler to pair with a 200 cell cat.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the data point. I heard from the outside and rode in a car with Stage IIs a few days ago and they were just barely louder than my factory motorsound mufflers, which to my ears wasn't loud at all. I admit I was really surprised as was my passenger that there wasn't a lot more volume from the Stage IIs.

In any case, it isn't too important at this point because the consensus seems to be, as you said, that Stage I/stock/motorsound is the preferred muffler to pair with a 200 cell cat.
Agreed. By the way...Congrats on your recent purchase. You seem to have bought a well cared for car. Looks great. Are your wheels RH? Do they still make them? I couldn't find them on their site. Let me know if you want to sell them.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by csmab
Chris M.

Stage 1 mufflers are definitely louder than the factory motorsound mufflers. I have both and there is no comparison. I still have stock cats and prefer the Stage 1 or LPMM mufflers to the motorsound mufflers. So if you heard somone's Stage 1 or LPMM mufflers with a 200 cell sport cat it will be a little louder than the sport cat with the factory motorsound mufflers. Your comment that Stage II and motorsound mufflers are similiar is unfortunately not accurate. Stage II mufflers and motorsound mufflers are worlds apart in the noise they create. In all honesty the factory motorsound mufflers are barely louder than the standard stock muffler. I do think that the Stage I or factory motorsound muffler might be the way to go with a sport cat if you are not looking for a sound that wakes the neighbors. It seems some people on this board have replaced their Stage II's with Stage I's after purchasing sport cats. In the end it is all personal preference. Report back when you get your sport cats since I am also interested in paring sport cats with my motorsound or LPMM (equivalent to Stage 1) mufflers.
So your factory Motorsound mufflers have had the LPMM treatment (your signature)? How do they compare to Stage IIs?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

I don't believe they are as loud as Stage II's from what I have read. I haven't heard Stage II's in person. I have heard III's and they are not as loud as III's.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are these going to be the next unobtanium a la Fister wide body wide ovals?

Quick Reply: FDM sport cat videos