Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ONE common factor of all these really high priced 993s lately?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012 | 02:24 PM
DALLWA
Racer

There is a long line and a short line.

Sounds like your in the short line.

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
+1 - I agree i think it's a smurf colour and would be worthy of a substantial reduction in price!!
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:26 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Why is there fresh sand clinging to your knees?

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:28 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DALLWA
Goof, Chris got every penny and more than 120,300. You don't know the facts on that one.

I thought I would get maybe $50k if I was lucky. I posted that. I have no visions of grandeur. I have received offers of over $50k in the past. I have a $47k on the table, a $49k. Not sure who your talking about?

If Scott gets his at $70k, why not embrace it?
Yup, that's true: you're not sure who I'm talking about.

As for Chris, you're also right. I don't know the facts. He can say he got $300K, but I'll never know the facts, no matter what anyone claims he got. And let's face it, honesty and transparency were not the hallmarks of his sale, so I'd take any claim from him with a grain of salt.

As for your sale, the only thing I know for sure is your car got bid up to $45K and didn't sell because you set the reserve higher than that. Like Chris, you can claim you got an offer for a million dollars and sold it for that, but we'll never know the facts of your sale either, no matter what you may claim it sold for in the future.

I'm sure Scott is a lovely guy, but I don't think he'll get $70K for his car because similar 993s have not been fetching that kind of money. Simple as that.

I'm sure you're a lovely guy too Tony, but I didn't think anyone would hit your Buy It Now button for $60K because, nothing personal, your car isn't worth that much money. Simple as that.

Any one can set any price for any car. But, as you saw in your eBay ad, if you price it too high, it won't sell. The guy you bought your RB cab also priced it too high when he listed it for sale. His result? The car sat for months and months, and he kept dropping the price until it fell in line with reality.

As I said, the seller sets the price of the car for whatever he wants. However, the market is what dictates what it actually sells for. Always has, always will, no matter how optimistic the seller or shiny his rose-colored goggles may be
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:39 PM
DALLWA
Racer

I agree with everything your saying.

Obviously, even if you saw the check written to Chris from Mr. X for $120k, you still may even doubt that.

If I tell you I sold my car last night for $52k, you could still say <cough> Bull****z.

For my situation, I didn't necessary care if the car sold. I received almost 50 emails, from dealers to flippers. Not a single person asked a question about the car for the longest time. All they wanted was my cell number, lowest price and for me to do a BIN lowest price.

I slapped up a $60k, down to a $56k I think. I finally received 3 people who asked questions that seemed legitimately interested in knowing more. But never anyone really seeming to care about the car, versus the bottom dollar. My result was I never really got interested in bottom feeding my lowest price.

If someone called, emailed and asked the right questions, and I had a fluid conversation, I would have sold for a very legitimate price regardless of BIN. Never happened. It was an interesting experience. Not say I would do it again. Fun the first few days, and then just tired of it all.

I believe that market value is what 80/100 people will pay for the car. There will always be a few lower, and higher. Ebay gives you that chance to see if you catch the higher guy, and in Chris example, he sure did! Several. Maybe Scott will get lucky too.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yup, that's true: you're not sure who I'm talking about.

As for Chris, you're also right. I don't know the facts. He can say he got $300K, but I'll never know the facts, no matter what anyone claims he got. And let's face it, honesty and transparency were not the hallmarks of his sale, so I'd take any claim from him with a grain of salt.

As for your sale, the only thing I know for sure is your car got bid up to $45K and didn't sell because you set the reserve higher than that. Like Chris, you can claim you got an offer for a million dollars and sold it for that, but we'll never know the facts of your sale either, no matter what you may claim it sold for in the future.

I'm sure Scott is a lovely guy, but I don't think he'll get $70K for his car because similar 993s have not been fetching that kind of money. Simple as that.

I'm sure you're a lovely guy too Tony, but I didn't think anyone would hit your Buy It Now button for $60K because, nothing personal, your car isn't worth that much money. Simple as that.

Any one can set any price for any car. But, as you saw in your eBay ad, if you price it too high, it won't sell. The guy you bought your RB cab also priced it too high when he listed it for sale. His result? The car sat for months and months, and he kept dropping the price until it fell in line with reality.

As I said, the seller sets the price of the car for whatever he wants. However, the market is what dictates what it actually sells for. Always has, always will, no matter how optimistic the seller or shiny his rose-colored goggles may be
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:47 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

I slapped up a $60k, down to a $56k I think.
For the record, your last BIN price was $56,500.

Also, the high bid of $45,100 was probably higher, but it was an automatic bid of $100 over the 2nd highest bid. So, in all likelihood, the high bid was more than $45,100, but less than Tony's reserve.
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:53 PM
DALLWA
Racer

I noticed that, which finally figured that out. I could click on a link that showed me Automatic Bids. People who have set a high limit, but without a second bidder in competition, it only goes to $100 over the last high bidder max offer.

I thought if someone bid $50k, it would goto $50k. But it only goes to $100 more than the last highest bidder. In this case $45k, which ended up at $45,100 for that reason.

Interesting. Good to know next time I'm bidding on a car.

Originally Posted by RodKnock
For the record, your last BIN price was $56,500.

Also, the high bid of $45,100 was probably higher, but it was an automatic bid of $100 over the 2nd highest bid. So, in all likelihood, the high bid was more than $45,100, but less than Tony's reserve.
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:58 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

I also find it interesting the "nicer" the person's reputation is on Rennlist, the less "nice" the original asking price of his car seems to be lately

Seems to me, trying to gouge a less informed fellow member with an over-priced car is less than "nice".

Sure, if they can find a sucker to pay that price why not, but I must've been wrong when I thought a sense of fraternity and community was supposed to factor in Rennlist. Guess it doesn't anymore.

My bad
Old 08-21-2012 | 03:17 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Sure, if they can find a sucker to pay that price why not, but I must've been wrong when I thought a sense of fraternity and community was supposed to factor in Rennlist. Guess it doesn't anymore.

My bad
I think here's an prime example of what you're saying. dcdude's meticulous '96 Midnight Blue Coupe, which he priced at $36,000 and sold quickly.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-angeles.html

However, everyone is different. It could be related to someone's wealth or not.

If you listed your home with a real estate broker (or lawyer in some states) and were obligated to pay a real estate commission no matter what, would you sell your home to a friend for less even though you had a competing offer from another buyer whom you didn't know at all?
Old 08-21-2012 | 03:20 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

If you listed your home with a real estate broker (or lawyer in some states) and were obligated to pay a real estate commission no matter what, would you sell your home to a friend for less even though you had a competing offer from another buyer whom you didn't know at all?
You may be right.

In this culture, money is more important than anything, alas.

One person's way of thinking, "sure, if that sucker will pay it why not" is another person's way of thinking greed without conscience.
Old 08-21-2012 | 03:23 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

The thing about selling or buying through Rennlist is that you do so based on "agreed value", not blue book or what not. I offered less than the seller wanted for the blue car because the #5 cylinder had low compression. I offered six grand less because that was how much the average private shop would charge to essentially rebuild the exhaust side. I also had the AC fixed, which all told cost around $1500. Any other work was maintenance stuff that I would not expect to add serious value. If I were to list my baby, I would ask (and likely get as that is one super healthy engine) $35k. Blue book says it is only worth $19k. What a load of hooey. Rennlist is by far a better source for appropriate pricing.

Of course, you guys would probably offer me a buck. Lol.
Old 08-21-2012 | 03:35 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bonster
The thing about selling or buying through Rennlist is that you do so based on "agreed value", not blue book or what not. I offered less than the seller wanted for the blue car because the #5 cylinder had low compression. I offered six grand less because that was how much the average private shop would charge to essentially rebuild the exhaust side. I also had the AC fixed, which all told cost around $1500. Any other work was maintenance stuff that I would not expect to add serious value. If I were to list my baby, I would ask (and likely get as that is one super healthy engine) $35k. Blue book says it is only worth $19k. What a load of hooey. Rennlist is by far a better source for appropriate pricing.

Of course, you guys would probably offer me a buck. Lol.
Don't sell yourself short, you could get $1.50 all day long.

Regarding your blue book valuation. Have you checked it recently? The values are now close to market value for good cars with reasonable mileage. My 95 with 30K miles shows a value of $36,100. When i bought it 2 years ago the blue book value was $15K Luckily for me I paid transfer taxes based on the existing book valuation back then.

Last edited by CorrdoBrit; 08-21-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2012 | 03:42 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

In this culture, money is more important than anything, alas.
That's the not case all the time. There are many examples of the RL brother-(and sister)hood too.

I think the just listed White '96 Cab with 38K miles with Speedlines, asking $38,500, is an excellent deal for someone, if it checks out. I just wish it were Blue.

I think I'm actually one of those folks like you who believe in the brother-(and sister)hood pricing.
Old 08-21-2012 | 03:44 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

With that few miles, I would start at $40k, personally. Mine has about 90k, but that engine rebuild, at least I would think, would fetch a decent price.

No, I have not checked blue book values in a while - June, I think it was. I also used the blue book value when I registered it and the green car. I am glad that they are quoting your car more reasonably. It deserves to be valued higher like that. Maybe I should do a numbers check on mine again. And there's no way I would go lower than two bucks for the blue car.
Old 08-21-2012 | 04:11 PM
DALLWA
Racer

That white cab is a smoking deal (assuming all checks out).

Bonster, don't even waste your time with these guys. I got $3.75, near double their high.

That's the not case all the time. There are many examples of the RL brother-(and sister)hood too.

I think the just listed White '96 Cab with 38K miles with Speedlines, asking $38,500, is an excellent deal for someone, if it checks out. I just wish it were Blue.

I think I'm actually one of those folks like you who believe in the brother-(and sister)hood pricing.
Old 08-21-2012 | 04:51 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

That white cab is a smoking deal (assuming all checks out).

Bonster, don't even waste your time with these guys. I got $3.75, near double their high.
That cab is peachy. Love the contrast of the black and marble grey accents. Very unique. Car is priced to sell if as good as it looks.

Quick Reply: The ONE common factor of all these really high priced 993s lately?