Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perforated leather RS door panels: "square" or "diamond" pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the tips, fellas. I actually forgot about the basketweave pattern, interesting how similar it appears. I thnk I've decided to go with the 90 degree, square orientation.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Benton
Drifting

Default Photos of a few completed panels!

Update: I was able to cover a few panels in the perforated leather today after a bit of prep work. I am pumped about the results!

After making the patterns, I stapled them to plywood and placed it in direct sunlight for a couple of hours:

After about two hours, I stuck it in the shade and immediately slathered it with Surflex Soffener while the pores were open. It is buttery soft.

Aligning the pattern--a quite detailed process that is near-impossible to get perfect. Here, I scribed a line on the underlying fabric at the exact point where the window sill trim contacts the cards (I'll call these rear quarter panel pieces "cards") to ensure I would not split the pattern incorrectly with the sill trim, and also for a baseline to match the left and right cards.

I was able to glue half down, ensuring alignment with the straight edge, then glue the other side after having secured the first half of the panel. The rear quarter cards are now complete:

I managed to complete the two door sill tops as well in Can Can, quite pleased with the result and I'll post up more pics in the main thread I intend to start (detailing the whole build) once I get the opportunity to execute it how I would like--I'm a bit of a perfectionist which inhibits me from starting things at times. Too many projects.

Anyway, back to the subject: I had not yet had an opportunity to put two completed panels, one Can Can and one with the perforated leather, together to see how it will look installed in the car. Obviously, these are not the two panels that go together, but it gives the look anyway. I'm ecstatic with the results; it's fuel to finish the damn car!

Different lighting situations really seem to affect my camera's ability to capture the Can Can accurately (as with any cameras and vivid reds); this isn't a perfect representation but it gives you a good idea:

The lower portion of the rear deck is halfway done, but I'm having quite the time aligning the pattern on such a large panel. Had to take a break and post up. I'm saving the RS panels for last, as with the upper dash, as I'm scared to screw them up! At least I will have my skills polished for the hardest pieces.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. That looks fantastic. Where did you get the material?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Benton
Drifting

Thanks. Of all places, eBay. No chance in hell I would be able to afford a hide of that size other than at closeout prices, so I kept my eyes peeled on eBay for weeks to find the right hide. I think I paid about 110 bucks for the whole thing, and it's enough to cover all of the panels mentioned above and the headliner (not a full headliner going back in the car, so the piece is smaller).
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Benton, looking good man!! I'm following your progress on the site, can't wait
to see when everything is back together...

Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Benton
Drifting

Thanks Jakob! It's going to surprise some folks; I've kept my cards close to my chest while I have been working, but it's about time to get some more photos out there. It started out as an interior makeover and has morphed into a quite extreme resto-mod.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, any updates? Would love to see pics of the finished interior.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great work - nice choice in meterial.

keep goin an good luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Is it finished??? I cant sait to see it! Red interior is so hot!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Testdr
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

hey Benton,

I love the photos you have of your can can interior and perforated leather. Im planning to do the same... except grey instead of can can. Do you have any more photos of the interior ? It is inspiring to say the least. I was even thinking of basketweave.

Quick Reply: Perforated leather RS door panels: "square" or "diamond" pattern?