Sponsored by:

Fixed My LWF Stalling Problem - New ISV

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I cant say Im a believer that a new ISV will fix the issue...
I knew it was a $290 gamble but it paid off. Perhaps I will still have an occasional stall but I know there is a big improvement already. There is also the possibility that your car's issue is different than mine. YRMV
Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
I am. How far away is your car from being back on the road Steven?
Hey Matt....

Still collecting parts at the moment, My heads have been rebuilt (RS Specs) and are waiting for me in Montana. Crank is on the way, the last piece of the puzzle is Pistons and Cylinders, these won't be ordered for a few weeks then take approx 6 weeks... So no driving this year.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
How do you know unless you try it? You say the same thing in threads where a Wong/Weiner chip solves the issue for someone. You've never tried a Wong chip as I recall.

Some 993's are 18+ years old. How many have the original ISV? Almost all. Who's to say there wasn't a slight revision to the design of the ISV overs the years? Or that having one that's clean as a whistle doesn't work quite as well as one that's new?
Steve Wong offered me his chip and I passed and it does not stop stalling---he will admit that and there a number of people with his chip that still have stalling issues.

I have probably spent more time on the LWF than I care admit--Steve Weiner, my wrench, Germany connections, and 3 different chip companies. Half dozen trips to the shop, cleaning ISV multiple times, smoke test. I'd sacrafice a chicken if that would help.

The bottom line for over 70% of 95's and LWF's, there is no bullet proof solution. Some dont have issues, many do.

Like I have mentioned, I have spent years on the issue and just gave up. LFW's on 95's can be and do create issues--thats the bottom line.

I don't stall that often but those who are new to LFW's and stalling, it will mind F$%^ with you for a very long time. I became someone consumed worring about a stall that it took away from enjoying my car---that took a long time to over come.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 08-03-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt777
I knew it was a $290 gamble but it paid off. Perhaps I will still have an occasional stall but I know there is a big improvement already. There is also the possibility that your car's issue is different than mine. YRMV
Give it time, it will stall.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve Wong offered me his chip and I passed and it does not stop stalling---he will admit that and there a number of people with his chip that still have stalling issues.

I have probably spent more time on the LWF than I care admit--Steve Weiner, my wrench, Germany connections, and 3 different chip companies. Half dozen trips to the shop, cleaning ISV multiple times, smoke test. I'd sacrafice a chicken if that would help.

The bottom line for over 70% of 95's and LWF's, there is no bullet proof solution. Some dont have issues, many do.

Like I have mentioned, I have spent years on the issue and just gave up. LFW's on 95's can be and do create issues--thats the bottom line.

I don't stall that often but those who are new to LFW's and stalling, it will mind F$%^ with you for a very long time. I became someone consumed worring about a stall that it took away from enjoying my car---that took a long time to over come.
for sure... Sounds like endless drama.

Why not just go back to a DMF and be done with it? Or install the Andial MWF if you want a bit of extra performance without any stalling?

As for the Wong chip, you can believe what you want to believe, Steve told me his chip fixes the issue for most cars, not all, but most. (This was a year or so ago prior to recent updates to his code to further address the issue.) That's part of why I went with the MFW. No stalls at all, on either the stock chip or Wong chip.

Give it time, it will stall.
Wow. Sorta sounds like you're hoping for that.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:56 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Is Andial MWF available again? They've stopped making it for quite a while, I thought?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:21 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by nile13
Is Andial MWF available again? They've stopped making it for quite a while, I thought?
I just checked and it's still available, one on the shelf. Sounds like it's always been available, thought there may be a wait of a couple months between runs.

I bought mine in May last year.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

How do you know unless you try it? You say the same thing in threads where a Wong/Weiner chip solves the issue for someone. You've never tried a Wong chip as I recall.

Some 993's are 18+ years old. How many have the original ISV? Almost all. Who's to say there wasn't a slight revision to the design of the ISV overs the years? Or that having one that's clean as a whistle doesn't work quite as well as one that's new?
+1. Until you try it, you won't know with 100% certainty that replacing the ISV with a new one will work or won't work. The ISV is a mechanical, moving part, so cleaning it may not help with any wear issues, however those issues may be contributing to stalling.

Sounds like Matt will beta test for the rest of us.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:01 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

for sure... Sounds like endless drama.

Why not just go back to a DMF and be done with it? Or install the Andial MWF if you want a bit of extra performance without any stalling?

As for the Wong chip, you can believe what you want to believe, Steve told me his chip fixes the issue for most cars, not all, but most. (This was a year or so ago prior to recent updates to his code to further address the issue.) That's part of why I went with the MFW. No stalls at all, on either the stock chip or Wong chip.

Wow. Sorta sounds like you're hoping for that.
Im going back to the DMF once my clutch goes. I dont think the MFW was part of topic conversations 7 years ago...or I would have probably went with it.

Not hoping for it...just a realist.

I've been in sales since the age of 16---Ive had to put lipstick on a pig throughout my career from time to time. Anyone promoting they have a cure with the LWF and 95 993's, they are putting lipstick on a pig. Maybe not for all customers but over 70% of them. If I had a customer satisfaction percentage of 30%, I probably wouldnt be driving a 993 today.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Im going back to the DMF once my clutch goes. I dont think the MFW was part of topic conversations 7 years ago...or I would have probably went with it.
The Andial MWF/stalling solution has been around since 2001. At least as long as I've been a member on Rennlist, I can remember the guys talking about this compromise.

Here's but one thread, and the earliest, too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-flywheel.html

I've been in sales since the age of 16---Ive had to put lipstick on a pig throughout my career from time to time. Anyone promoting they have a cure with the LWF and 95 993's, they are putting lipstick on a pig. Maybe not for all customers but over 70% of them. If I had a customer satisfaction percentage of 30%, I probably wouldnt be driving a 993 today.
That pig has an Andial MWF in its mouth.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+1. Until you try it, you won't know with 100% certainty that replacing the ISV with a new one will work or won't work. The ISV is a mechanical, moving part, so cleaning it may not help with any wear issues, however those issues may be contributing to stalling.

Sounds like Matt will beta test for the rest of us.
So my ISV at 39,000 miles goes from working perfect to completely f'ed up in matter of less than 48 hours of a LWF install back in 2005. Sorry, Im not buying it. I've been a beta tester for 7 years, failure rate is over 70%.

I can debate this issue all day long but those who do not have a LFW and a 95 experiencing stalling issues have zero say in the matter---track cars not included.

The LWF in a 95 isnt a bad thing---its just not for everyone. I know the issue, know how to avoid the stall (it comes natural these days) and would consider myself an above average novoice in the world of 993's. However, until I never hear of a 993 stalling ever again who installed a LWF, Im not drinking the cool aid. I prefer a High West Wiskey on the rocks!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
The Andial MWF/stalling solution has been around since 2001. At least as long as I've been a member on Rennlist, I can remember the guys talking about this compromise.

Here's but one thread, and the earliest, too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-flywheel.html

That pig has an Andial MWF in its mouth.
I was a 993 virgin back in those days. The pig may be gone before a LWF or MFW becomes an option. Going on 9 years, felling that itch to move on.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

So my ISV at 39,000 miles goes from working perfect to completely f'ed up in matter of less than 48 hours of a LWF install back in 2005. Sorry, Im not buying it. I've been a beta tester for 7 years, failure rate is over 70%.

I can debate this issue all day long but those who do not have a LFW and a 95 experiencing stalling issues have zero say in the matter---track cars not included.

The LWF in a 95 isnt a bad thing---its just not for everyone. I know the issue, know how to avoid the stall (it comes natural these days) and would consider myself an above average novoice in the world of 993's. However, until I never hear of a 993 stalling ever again who installed a LWF, Im not drinking the cool aid. I prefer a High West Wiskey on the rocks!
How do you know your ISV was working *perfectly*? Maybe it's out of tolerance and the LWF only magnifies the issue. And, sorry, you're a beta tester with your old ISV, not a new one which is what you're quoting me on. If you try a new ISV and get stalling, then, at least for your car, you'd be right that it didn't work for you.

Don't forget the poll you started in 2008 where over 30% of '95 993 owners stated that they had never stalled with their LWF. Your poll showed that having a LWF and a '95 993 is not a guarantee of stalling.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-stalling.html

You've admitted that the stalling really bugs you, and you've spent thousands of dollars trying to fix it (despite missing the MWF avenue before you purchased the LWF ), so it seems you have a real axe to grind and have lost a significant amount of objectivity with the matter.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

New ISV observations for a '95 owner with a LWF...https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ith-a-lwf.html

Originally Posted by JasonF
Along with my top end rebuild last year, I had my trusty independent install an RS clutch and LWF into my OBD1 '95 Carrera 4. After reading every post regarding the infamous stalling issues with our '95s I decided to push ahead anyway and make adjustments if necessary.

Steve Weiner originally suggested that I install a new ISV along with the mods since the ISV is a wear item, but I decided to hold off and see if my car was even prone to stalling. Well, wouldn't you know it, but I stalled my car about 5 times on the first trip home after the clutch was installed.

Thoroughly cleaning the ISV every few months along with bumping the idle a bit did cut down on the stalling, but my car would still cut out if I downshifted into a turn while my headlights were on and I applied the brakes (seems like a limited scenario, but it was still very annoying).

Recently, my idle seemed a little rough and the stalling was becoming more frequent. Rather than fiddle with the idle speed on the old ISV once again, I purchased a new one from Sunset and installed it earlier this week. This new ISV was setting my idle at about 450 rpms...way too low for my car with the LWF. After bumping the idle to 750 it is now impossible to get my car to stall under any circumstance and the car just plain runs much, much smoother.

So the moral of the story is that any '95 owner's experiencing stalling might want to consider simply putting in a new ISV (assuming there are no vacuum leaks). For me, it seems to have smoothed out the car's idle and it operates much more efficiently.

One note of caution, you need to remove the protective epoxy coating covering the hex bolts in order to adjust the ISV. For an old unit subject to thousands of heat cycles, chipping the epoxy off isn't very difficult. However, it was virtually impossible to get the epoxy off my new ISV. I had to eventually resort to cutting slots through the hex-head and use a screwdriver to loosen the bolts.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

New ISV observations for a '95 owner with a LWF...https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ith-a-lwf.html
Forgot about that thread. Nice find.

Quick Reply: Fixed My LWF Stalling Problem - New ISV