Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

del
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by levtron
belts and 12 point tool to change them...
Disagree. Bring the belts, sure.

Are you really on the side of the road going to bring out your ratchet, 5mm allen socket, 24mm wrench, scissors/knife (to cut the a/c belt cause you don't want to mess with the compressor), and try to get this all back together?

Its a lot of tools for a rare failure, and to be honest, if a belt that is in good shape fails, you have other problems that are more severe.

Bring the belt, and maybe the triple square, but also bring your AAA card.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going through South Dakota anytime from the 5th-12th of August, be prepared for a zoo---Sturgis Bike Rally. Western SD has some great scenery while Eastern SD is flat and kinda boring...unless you like corn, humidity, and bugs. :-)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're leaving anytime soon go the Northern route. It's waaaaay to hot and dry in the mid-south to even consider that route IMHO. Your 993 A/C will be struggling to keep up the whole way.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Ship it and fly. At least once you hit the flatlands....
Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by levtron
belts and 12 point tool to change them...
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Disagree. Bring the belts, sure.

Are you really on the side of the road going to bring out your ratchet, 5mm allen socket, 24mm wrench, scissors/knife (to cut the a/c belt cause you don't want to mess with the compressor), and try to get this all back together?

Its a lot of tools for a rare failure, and to be honest, if a belt that is in good shape fails, you have other problems that are more severe.

Bring the belt, and maybe the triple square, but also bring your AAA card.
Agreed that many won't want to do a belt change of the side of the road. (however, its not that hard, even the AC) A better idea: fresh belts before you leave!

The real reason to have the triple sq/12pt is just in case the random garage you find or AAA guy that shows up doesn't happen to have one. DON'T count on the Porsche toolset tool (search here for more info).
Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

great site for this stuff:
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum/index.php
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
+1 on making sure your spare works. EVEN if it works, you may not be able to change it! Reason? The scissors jack is NOT ideal. I had a flat myself, a while back, on the Long Island Expressway, and the heat of the morning softened the blacktop SO much that the base of the jack was resting on 'mush'. I was 'forced' to call AAA and have a guy come with a Sears hydraulic jack so we could change it.

A fellow R-ler recommended you stash a couple of 8X8" pieces of wood - to act as a 'base' for the jack. Awesome advice, IMHO.

+1 on the spare DME relay and battery remote.

If you haven't already I would *seriously* put a colgan bra on the front. The 'nose' of your car is going to take a beating on this trip and it would be sad to have to get a front re-spray all because you wanted to enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime W-->E drive.

One day (bucket list) I am going to do this trip - or 'do' route 66.

Have fun and be safe!

Gerry
+2 on the DME relay. Better yet, change it and take the old one along. Ditto for the remote battery and the belts. Spare fuses can be handy.

+1 on the Bra or alternative. I did a 11K cross country round trip in my "other car" last year, and the front end got blasted. If you have a clear bra, just plan on replacing it when you get back east. Some folks use a clear plastic shelf lining material from Target to protect their cars in autocrosses - it actually look fairly decent, and would do the job on your car also for a much lower cost.

> Oil - plan on adding a couple of liters on the road during the first 800 or so miles, and then it will settle down as the moisture is boiled out - even with new oil. At least that has been my experience with my former 911 and the 993, but not the 997.

> See P-car.com for how to add a override switch for your oil cooler fan. Easy to do if you are at all handy. Check you oil cooler resistor.

Stop and visit friends along the way to break up the trip if at all possible. Have fun along the way.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 535 Posts

DME, AAA card, 2 flash lights , extra batteries, belts, in a can flat repair. Have a great safe trip.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:32 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

Haven't done the trip myself, but I may have a few pointers regarding parking/storage once you're here. Send me a PM if you like and enjoy the drive!

Quick Reply: Driving Los Angeles to NYC any advice?