Help! Clutch kinematic lever change - clutch won't return

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:23 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Clutch kinematic lever change - clutch won't return

Hello.
I had a clutch-hanging-up issue. Two years ago, had a shop replace the clutch slave, and that fixed it and all was well until recently when it began to hang up again.
So I went in and replaced the kinematic lever and the clutch master cylinder, and lubed everything up with the 043.203.37 Optimoly grease.
Reinstalled, and bled using the Motive, filling the Motive with ATE gold.
Bled the slave, then bled the brakes while I was at it, then bled the slave again.
Reservoir never ran dry - at the end it was filled to the brim, so removed fluid with a baster to bring it down to the 'MAX' line.
Frankly, everything went perfectly smoothly - nothing unexpected at all.
But now the pedal will not return. Doesn't go over-center on the linkage.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:32 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be keeping an eye on this as I'm about to replace the lever, as well, as soon as it arrives. Then I will take it to a shop to have the master and slave replaced. I'm hoping this will solve my hanging issues.

I can't help much but good luck!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by gtroth
But now the pedal will not return. Doesn't go over-center on the linkage.

Any ideas?
Well if it is all the way down to the firewall and won't return, it has gone over center.

Check everything that you assembled. Double check your work.
You might have air in the system.
The slave rod isn't in the dimple of the clutch bearing fork. Remove the rubber cover and check.
The clutch is not adjusted properly.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

On a related note;
What is the trick to getting the output line back in without crossthreading it in the master? I've been fighting it all morning...On my my out to buy a tap and dye to clean up the threads Ive ****ed up on my brand new master cylinder...
Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
Ok, so it won't return back from over center. Seems like the master is full of air and won't push back enough, but I bled the crap out of it. And I'll bleed it more I suppose. Is there a way to bleed the master improperly that I have stumbled onto?
I do:
-clamp off overflow from the top of the reservoir
-top off reservoir to the brim
-fill Motive
-give it a couple of pumps to fill the tube
-quckly attach Motive to reservoir
-pump to 10 psi
-open slave bleeder and let flow until no air (hard to judge...)

I am certain everything is assembled properly, and the clutch was working perfectly before I went after this (the occasional hang ups were just a minor irritation).

eddie_993: whoever replaces the lever (you or the shop) should replace the master since it will be a trivial amount of extra labor once the pedals are out.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
On a related note;
What is the trick to getting the output line back in without crossthreading it in the master? I've been fighting it all morning...On my my out to buy a tap and dye to clean up the threads Ive ****ed up on my brand new master cylinder...
Try doing the final assembly in the car. Covered here in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...y-rebuild.html

-bruce
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had this problem also. What worked for me was pumping the pedal (you may have to pull it up by hand). For some reason the pressure bleeder didn't get the air out of the master cylinder but the pumping did. As I recall it took quite a bit of pumping the pedal.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobboinski
I had this problem also. What worked for me was pumping the pedal (you may have to pull it up by hand). For some reason the pressure bleeder didn't get the air out of the master cylinder but the pumping did. As I recall it took quite a bit of pumping the pedal.
+993
To be careful, I didn't let it go all the way down when pumping by hand. Its a 2 handed job to pump it since it wants to snap to the floor. So you need 2 people...1 to pump the pedal, 1 to loosen/tighten the clutch slave bleeder. Pedal pumper needs to monitor the back (rear of car) small section (dedicated to the clutch) of the brake fluid reservoir, as its easy to run dry...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I was able to just pump up the pedal without bleeding and then went back to pressure bleeding. You do have to be careful not to run the fluid low in the reservoir.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Hey, thanks fellas. That's what I'll try next. I run the Motive full of fluid so the reservoir doesn't run dry. Never really understood the appeal of running the Motive dry, seems to defeat the beauty of the thing.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Never really understood the appeal of running the Motive dry, seems to defeat the beauty of the thing.
That method eliminates the need to clean the Motive Products Power Bleeder after use which should be done unless you are running a shop and it is used almost daily.

The end result as far as the hydraulic system being free of air, is the same. It just takes a bit more time.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That method eliminates the need to clean the Motive Products Power Bleeder after use which should be done unless you are running a shop and it is used almost daily.

The end result as far as the hydraulic system being free of air, is the same. It just takes a bit more time.
That's it, huh?
All that careful monitoring of the reservoir level, opening the cap to keep adding fluid and pumping it back up, and risk of running the clutch circuit dry just so you don't have to wash one extra thing? Ok. Not for me.
Of course, my method did not work at all this time... :-)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eddie_993: whoever replaces the lever (you or the shop) should replace the master since it will be a trivial amount of extra labor once the pedals are out.
Will definitely be doing this, I just have to order the part. I only wish that I had the capabilities of changing the slave cylinder myself, as well, but that's what I get for living in an apartment.

Thanks for your advice!

Eddie
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Ok, all good now. Feels real silky. I set the spring tensioner according to the FSM and that's a lighter force than where it was I think.
Here's what I did- I went away on travel and got back to it today. Pushed in the clutch and it returned just like it should (ie, I did nothing but wait 5 days or so).
Nevertheless, I went ahead and bled it exactly like I described above and did manage to get some air out. Stopped a few times during the process and pushed the clutch and banged on the pedal with my fist, and each time I seemed to get a little air.
One thing I like to do now is open and close the bleeder by hand (once its loosened) so its easy to start and stop. You can actually feel the bubbles pulsating into the bleeder hose if there's a lot of them. Handy, but no substitute for a bright light and eyeballs to know you're done.
Thanks, all!

Quick Reply: Help! Clutch kinematic lever change - clutch won't return