993 Forum 1995-1998

No wonder Porsche is so profitable..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default No wonder Porsche is so profitable..

I was following a link and came to this wonderful offer from Porsche - look, I can tour the factory and watch someone build a SUV and monster cruiser, have a entire three course meal, and test drive one of their cars for $1000 or more! All in 4 hours!!

Maybe I am just feeling cheap today but that sounds awful expensive ..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO, a day down at the Porsche "Classic" shops would be much more interesting!!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:28 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Back before narcissism became our national pastime, Porsche used to give you a factory tour, let you test drive a car on their track and take you to lunch if you made an appointment through a dealer ... As Paul Newman succinctly put it a few years ago: "It's not the degradation that surprises me, it's the rate at which it's spreading .."
Old 07-19-2012, 12:36 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't just lunch in the restaurant in the new museum about 650 Euro? That "all-out driving experience" looks like a nice perk they throw in.

(Always funny how you hear from someone who does one of these, later to hear about how he "raced" a Porsche/whatever.)
Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race911
Isn't just lunch in the restaurant in the new museum about 650 Euro?
The cafeteria style 'Boxenstopp' restaurant on the ground floor of the museum is very reasonable .. you would be hard pressed to eat 20 euro's worth of lunch there.
We had dinner at Christophorus restaurant on the top floor overlooking the Exhibition level turntable displays for special featured cars. They specialize in Prime u.s. beef but the entire menu and wine list is first rate. Best fillet I've had in awhile .. dinner came to around 100 euro's each without wine, I'd expect to pay the same in a comparable San Francisco restaurant.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
The cafeteria style 'Boxenstopp' restaurant on the ground floor of the museum is very reasonable .. you would be hard pressed to eat 20 euro's worth of lunch there.
We had dinner at Christophorus restaurant on the top floor overlooking the Exhibition level turntable displays for special featured cars. They specialize in Prime u.s. beef but the entire menu and wine list is first rate. Best fillet I've had in awhile .. dinner came to around 100 euro's each without wine, I'd expect to pay the same in a comparable San Francisco restaurant.
That's why I said restaurant, and not cafe. Which is where we ate. Just looked and saw the lunch prix fixe is 38 Euro, 45 with wine pairing. Buck-and-a-half lunch for two isn't on my menu.

I get that it's a whole different ballgame in EU (Zurich was sure a wakeup, for table service dining anyway).
Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Porsche used to give you a factory tour" This is still possible
Old 07-19-2012, 01:10 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race911
Just looked and saw the lunch prix fixe is 38 Euro, 45 with wine pairing. Buck-and-a-half lunch for two isn't on my menu.
I know it's hard to believe but the rest of the world doesn't factor in our exchange rate when they set prices for goods and services. A 45 euro lunch with wine is the same to them as a $45 dollar lunch with wine ... that's cheap for a high end place.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by scott watkins
Thank the saints for small miracles ....
Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by scott watkins
So the tours are still free - just has to be booked via a dealer then?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike J
So the tours are still free - just has to be booked via a dealer then?
No, you can book one by email, last time I did this they wanted 8 weeks advance notice, could be more in summer. Please note: Factory tours can only be booked by e-mail: factorytours@porsche.de
Factory tours are only offered from Monday through Thursday.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a small miss understanding here :

Mike was talking about a tour in the new factory at Leipzig. JP talks about the headquarter in Stuttgart and the museum. Leipzig has it's own track, even for off-road events.
I personally visited the museum in Stuttgart. The buffet is really fine and has a really good price / service level. However the restaurant Chistophorus is a fine dining place with matching price level.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RP993
There is a small miss understanding here :
Mike was talking about a tour in the new factory at Leipzig.
Doh! Sorry ... brain fart.
Here's the Leipzig tour link on the factory website. Looks like there's several 'levels' of tours and track fun .. but Porsche Club tours are still free (Yay!) I've never seen Leipzig so it's on my list .. and truth be known, I'm enough of a spendthrift to throw a grand at driving a GT3 on their test track for a few laps ... heh ....
http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...isits/leipzig/
Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
IMO, a day down at the Porsche "Classic" shops would be much more interesting!!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

The exchange rate is better of late and prices are higher then a few years ago, but did this back in '09 at Leipzig. On track for 40-min (with Instructor) in a '09 Turbo, 40-min (with Instructor) in a pepper (old tank training grounds) with spouse, a very nice lunch for 2, and individual tour of factory / mini showroom / museum and personnel service through out.

Not the best value for money (compared to DE or Test & Tune days) but still all in all a good time. Probably the best thing you can do in Liepzig.

The Leipzig school / test track was a very interesting layout (with mini corkscrew to boot)). Part of it is use as factory drive test track too.

I suspect the Leipzig factory tour in a group is still free (with reservations), but it is a long way to go for a tour, Zuffhausen 100% better for a 911 fan and much more relevant to the history.

Quick Reply: No wonder Porsche is so profitable..