Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Fan making screech & chirping noise. New fan - $1000 plus labor? Other options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 406 Posts

I can't find the thread right now, but someone on this forum suggested Tri-Flow a while back, which I have used with great success. The linked item below comes with an extension straw that is just long enough to reach the shaft and bushing of the fan motor. Just pop out the cabin filters and put a drop or two of the Tri-Flow on the shaft. Let the motor run for a minute or two and put in another drop for good measure. Re-assemble filters and housings and you're done. Six bucks and 15 minutes.

Did this to mine a year ago and no sign of it re-occuring. Product contains PTFE, so it should last quite a while before needing another drop.

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri...Lubricant.html
Old 09-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
I can't find the thread right now, but someone on this forum suggested Tri-Flow a while back, which I have used with great success. The linked item below comes with an extension straw that is just long enough to reach the shaft and bushing of the fan motor. Just pop out the cabin filters and put a drop or two of the Tri-Flow on the shaft. Let the motor run for a minute or two and put in another drop for good measure. Re-assemble filters and housings and you're done. Six bucks and 15 minutes.

Did this to mine a year ago and no sign of it re-occuring. Product contains PTFE, so it should last quite a while before needing another drop.

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri...Lubricant.html
Thanks for this link. I'll let my indie know about it. I'm about to bring it back to him for A/C repair so this will get down too.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe you should get a new mechanic...or at least a second opinion on a lot of this stuff. I may be wrong but your stories read like he is milking you by playing guessing games on your dollar.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Maybe you should get a new mechanic...or at least a second opinion on a lot of this stuff. I may be wrong but your stories read like he is milking you by playing guessing games on your dollar.
Yes, this comment in the OP also caused me to question the mechanic's skill "I brought it to my indie and he lubed it and cut a bit of it away as it was touching something on the car making the noise (so he thought)."
Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 PM
elsworg
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this problem too. Stupid question i know, but how do you 'pop out' the cabin filters? Is it really an easy job?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by elsworg
I have this problem too. Stupid question i know, but how do you 'pop out' the cabin filters? Is it really an easy job?
Very easy DIY on pcar.com
Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've asked this question before but didn't get an answer :-

Can the dashboard a/c blower be removed [for inspection. repair or renewal] without removing the gas tank or can it be done just by taking the pollen filter out?

Is it possible to disconnect the passenger side blower and run only the driver's side blower, if so how ?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
I got a new mechanic since the one I posted about originally here with the fan issue. The new mechanic was also referred to me by a trusted member of this forum and is MUCH closer to my house. He said he'd try the Tri-Flow stuff but doesn't think it will work. He said "you can't reach the other end of the motor" or something like that...

If I need to buy a blower motor, is there a cheaper source than the $1000? Not sure about getting one on Ebay though...if it's the wrong one or there's an issue with it, it may be hard to return. Is there a Porsche supplier of sorts that has these cheaper? Otherwise I'll just have to let him get this for me.

Steve
Old 09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pricey buggers:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...Blower%20Motor
Old 09-07-2012, 04:54 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We can also get ether left or right side blower motors. For more information Click Here. Glad you found someone a little closer and trusted, the rennlist is a great place to network.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
We can also get ether left or right side blower motors. For more information Click Here. Glad you found someone a little closer and trusted, the rennlist is a great place to network.
Thanks for that! This would be a LOT less than the indie's price. Rennlist sometimes rocks a lot harder than other times.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:22 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks for this link. I'll let my indie know about it. I'm about to bring it back to him for A/C repair so this will get down too.
Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I got a new mechanic since the one I posted about originally here with the fan issue. The new mechanic was also referred to me by a trusted member of this forum and is MUCH closer to my house. He said he'd try the Tri-Flow stuff but doesn't think it will work. He said "you can't reach the other end of the motor" or something like that...

If I need to buy a blower motor, is there a cheaper source than the $1000? Not sure about getting one on Ebay though...if it's the wrong one or there's an issue with it, it may be hard to return. Is there a Porsche supplier of sorts that has these cheaper? Otherwise I'll just have to let him get this for me.

Steve
Does the shop owner's name start with an R?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Does the shop owner's name start with an R?
Ummm, yes. But you already knew that I'm sure! I find him to be competent. The cheapest guy in this area that we live, is not always the best. But, I don't want to be raked over the coals, either.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indie just called to say my $950 passenger side fan motor has arrived; car goes in Monday for install, they say a couple of hours should do it.

Replaced several inoperative servos; now this fan because it seized and blew the 25 amp fuse.

If HVAC is still strange, next and final item is new or rebuilt CCU.

Gordo
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 PM
elsworg
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Very easy DIY on pcar.com
Thanks, will check it out and then track down some Tri-Flow!

Quick Reply: Fan making screech & chirping noise. New fan - $1000 plus labor? Other options?