Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Supercups to my fabspeed x pipe and cat bypass set up

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Have any of you tried RSRs with 100 cell cats? It gives a lovely racing car hard metallic sound on full throttle but is relatively quiet off throttle. At tickover it sounds like an old tractor!

Cheers,

David
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
nippy
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

trying to post videos and cant do it.If anybody can help,please insert.heres the links.Just downloaded so may take a few.

http://youtu.be/fqcNywLrK-g

http://youtu.be/wWa0XeahHj4
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM
nectrplnt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Omg I want it. I currently have b & b exhaust. I wonder what it would sound like if I add the xpipe
Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds great! Really good noise.

I was surprised how muted the "before" sound was. I'll try and post a clip of my RSR + 100 cell cat combo for comparison as it sounds pretty similar that though I know that your combo is physically going to be much louder having tried some fantastic silencers that the X Pipe guy made but which were just too loud with the sport cats.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the fabspeed X pipe (actually sold it to Nippy) with no cats and Pete leland modifed mufflers with a 1 1/2 inch by pass. It was the best sound I had heard on a 993. I have had RSR, fabspeed and motor sounds in the past. It still retained the "Porsche" raspy sound and got better as RPM's increased. Had a little bit of a back burbble when off the gas with the occasional pop. If it means anything, I had a few Ferrari F360 and F430 comment on how good it sound it when they were following me on some spirited drives out in "Mexico"
It was just right, not too loud for the street.
Al Z
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a Fabspeed X pipe and Fister II exhaust. When I back the car out the garage, my neighbors say that the car sounds like hell is getting ready to roll. With the windows up, it's not loud at all and no drone. I ride with them down as much as possible.

Here's a video after the shop put the system on the car...

Last edited by 1stgear; 07-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgear
I have a Fabspeed X pipe and Fister II exhaust. When I back the car out the garage, my neighbors say that the car sounds like hell is getting ready to roll. With the windows up, it's not loud at all and no drone. I ride with them down as much as possible.
I would be interested in hearing this combo if you're passing through Atlanta. I have Fister III and I want high flow cats to (1) get more sound (2) improve performance marginally (a few more hp in righer RPMs and non-trivial weight reduction, especially when combined with the mufflers, lwf, etc.).

I could do cat delete but I think the fumes are a dead giveaway to cops, not to mention the noise attracting their attention too.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
I would be interested in hearing this combo if you're passing through Atlanta. I have Fister III and I want high flow cats to (1) get more sound (2) improve performance marginally (a few more hp in righer RPMs and non-trivial weight reduction, especially when combined with the mufflers, lwf, etc.).

I could do cat delete but I think the fumes are a dead giveaway to cops, not to mention the noise attracting their attention too.
Video posted in my earlier reply.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Video posted in my earlier reply.
Firewalled at work; I'll watch tonight. Would love to hear setups in person, though - it's tough to get an idea of how the cars sound when driving because of the doppler effect. There's a guy in my office building with a track car 993 (RS ride height PSS10s, solid mounts, weight reduction, big reds, etc.) who has RSRs on his car. I heard him pull out and gun it down a ramp a week or so ago - it sounded excellent and vids don't do it justice. I mentioned it to him and he remarked that my Fisters were a lot louder, something the driver doesn't get to enjoy, especially with the windows up (I haven't found a friend kind enough to do a driveby for me )
Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As the guy in the video Mark posted explains, with Fabspeed supercups & cat by-pass, you get that V8 sound which I didn't like and was the reason I went with different.

Here's a video of my car, it gives you an idea although since it's shot pretty far, it doesn't sound so great. One of these days, I'll get around of making a better video and always with exhaust sounds, the best is to hear it when car drives by.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:16 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
Firewalled at work; I'll watch tonight. Would love to hear setups in person, though - it's tough to get an idea of how the cars sound when driving because of the doppler effect. There's a guy in my office building with a track car 993 (RS ride height PSS10s, solid mounts, weight reduction, big reds, etc.) who has RSRs on his car. I heard him pull out and gun it down a ramp a week or so ago - it sounded excellent and vids don't do it justice. I mentioned it to him and he remarked that my Fisters were a lot louder, something the driver doesn't get to enjoy, especially with the windows up (I haven't found a friend kind enough to do a driveby for me )
If I'm up in ATL, I'll let you know. Or, if you come down this way (Thomasville) give me a shout!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 AM
nippy
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I put the sport cats on today.Its still a bit loud for my taste for this paticular car.My favorite combo was with the x pipe/cat by pass pipes/B&B which im going back to soon.

Supercups will be up for grabs in the ads section soon.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
As the guy in the video Mark posted explains, with Fabspeed supercups & cat by-pass, you get that V8 sound which I didn't like and was the reason I went with different.

Here's a video of my car, it gives you an idea although since it's shot pretty far, it doesn't sound so great. One of these days, I'll get around of making a better video and always with exhaust sounds, the best is to hear it when car drives by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzCMJ...feature=relmfu
That is a great exhaust sound. What exactly is the setup?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Pezely
That is a great exhaust sound. What exactly is the setup?
It's equal length headers, 100 cell cats that "X" (so the exhaust gases get mixed up) and then short straight pipes from the cats.

The main reason for the high pitch sound are the equal length header pipes, correct (relatively small) pipe diameter and that "X".

It doesn't come out like that in the video but in real life it's pretty high pitch and very different from any other 993 exhaust I've heard of.
Friend of mine, when he first heard it, described that is sounded like "exotic' (Ferrari, Lambo etc.).

Now with smart phones it's so easy, I promise to make a decent video soon.

Quick Reply: Adding Supercups to my fabspeed x pipe and cat bypass set up