993 Forum 1995-1998

Need feedback on rollbar install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I have a DAS bar in my wife's 96' tip cab.It is there just for safty reasons.When she wrapped her first 96' Tip Cab around a electric poll the DAS saved her life.When I removed it from the wreck ,30 minutes at most with the top down,the car twisted itself within 12 hours. The DAS unit only needed to be repainted to install in the replacement 993 Cab I bought her.If it took anyone three hours to remove a DAS Cab unit they may be a little slow in the head.It is removable for real.I would not let her drive a car that was originally designed over 50 years ago without it.Some of the stuff written above is absolutely incorrect and written by men who have never owned a DAS product.PM me if you would like to see pics of my wife's wreck.
Ok, I'll bite because I'm curious. What events led up to your wife wrapping her car around a pole?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:39 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VA993Dreamer would you please post the pics of the wreck for me.I think the Rennlist 993 members will enjoy seeing them. I will give an explanation as to the cause of my wife's wreck after everyone can see what happened. I will say that she was found NOT at fault and received no ticket.Thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

VA993Dreamer would you please post the pics of the wreck for me.I think the Rennlist 993 members will enjoy seeing them. I will give an explanation as to the cause of my wife's wreck after everyone can see what happened. I will say that she was found NOT at fault and received no ticket.Thanks
And why won't you post them?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:36 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd prefer not hijack my own post by posting the pics here....I'm still interested in getting responses to the rollbar install and posting the pics will turn it into a discussion on the accident. VRam,,perhaps you can start a thread on the accident and post the pics there (I can post them there if you want)?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Default You should know Mr.Ed.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
And why won't you post them?
I do not know how and can not learn.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

VA993Dreamer you don't want to hijack your own thread? I am sorry.Is that what it's called? trolling and hijacking????What a joke.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

VA993Dreamer you don't want to hijack your own thread? I am sorry.Is that what it's called? trolling and hijacking????What a joke.
Calm down; the OP is not trolling. Remember that you need to be nice on this forum and that you're supposed to be a changed Rennlister.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:54 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Mark, I was talking about what I have been accused of.If you want to nitpick is there not some rule about posting private messages?I do not really care that the OP did this,but, maybe someone should tell him.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Mark, I was talking about what I have been accused of.If you want to nitpick is there not some rule about posting private messages?I do not really care that the OP did this,but, maybe someone should tell him.
What PM did the OP post?? Did I miss it?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:09 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

No, I'm just making sure your paying attention.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Anyway...sorry VA for derailing your thread, I'll take responsibility. But to help get it back on track, JPS is probably the most current active R'lister to regularly track a cab. I know that Nile13 autocrosses a cab but not sure if he has a roll bar. If you go back in the archives you might find info from FlyYellow as he used to extensively track a 993 cab.

I'm not up on the PCA rules regarding cabs and rollover protection but do you need a rollbar or is it just something that would make you feel safer? I've seen plenty of 996 and 997 cabs at DEs but I can't remember if they had bars or not. I'd say if it's not required you'd probably be fine at your first school or two without. While you may feel like you are doing Formula One speeds, handling and braking you really aren't. See if it's something you want to continue to do before you drill up your cab. If a bar is needed per the rules and you are aprehensive about drilling, use your Audi A6 for your first event to see if its something you want to continue. You'd have just as much a hoot in that car as any. I tracked my 6000lb Touareg V10 TDI in an advanced group (right before I became a PCA instructor) and had just as much fun as I ever had in my 993 or my old E36 M3, albiet in a different kind of way. I've also tracked an '98 BMW 540i and had a ball.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Let me see if I've got this straight...I put up a post asking for some feedback on a rollbar install. You put up a reply regarding your wife's accident and the fact that she was saved by the rollbar. Then you send me a private message offering to send me pics of the accident over email since, in a subsequent post, you admit that you "...do not know how and cannot learn" how to post pics. I send you my email address, you then send me the pics, which I appreciated and responded to. Then Van (no prob Van, appreciate the apology!) puts up a post inquiring about the details of the accident. You then, believing in some way that I'm your secretary, put up a post requesting that I post YOUR pics, because, again, you "do not know how and cannot learn" how to post pics. I respond to your post simply requesting that the thread not go off track and turn into a discussion on the details of the accident since I'm still very much seeking input on my original post. I also offer to post the pics FOR YOU since you "do not know how and cannot learn" how to post pics, if you'll kindly start a new thread regarding the accident. I'll even provide you a subject line - "How A DAS Rollbar Saved My Wife's Life - (with pics provided by VA993Dreamer since I "do not know how and cannot learn" how to post them)

It's interesting, what I've discovered about this forum, and really like about it, is the comraderie, good cheer, and genuine interest in helping that MOST people bring to it. I mean, we should all be thrilled to own these wonderful cars right? I also find that when someone goes a LITTLE off the rails (for example, accusing another poster of something they didn't do, or posting incorrect information,etc) other people are quick to respond in a polite, but direct way, to make sure that that positive spirit and respect for others continues to be part of what makes this forum great. I believe that's what Mark was attempting to do. In most cases, the person who is off the rails simply acknowledges their mistake and takes accountability with a big dose of good cheer and an apology.

Just some food for thought Vram....have a great day!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Why the goofy reply to me? "You should know Mr. Ed"

I apologize VA, for diverting this thread. I wish I could delete.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Van, thanks for the info, much appreciated. The local PCA chapter here in VA requires a rollbar for their DE events. I'm not sure if it's their rule or a rule of VIR, where they hold their events. I've had a chance to do an autocross in the 4.2 and even with trying to muscle that big girl around the track, I had an absolute blast. I've never been on the VIR track, so I think that getting the Cab out there (safely) would be an absolute hoot and arm me with additional driving skills and knowledge of the capabilities of the car - a win win.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Ed, no problem at all my friend. I'll leave it to Vram to explain his reply to you. It make take some time for him to respond as he is probably busy learning how to post pics.

Quick Reply: Need feedback on rollbar install...