Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need feedback on rollbar install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need feedback on rollbar install...

I'd like to participate in some DE events. VIR is two hours from my home and it's an amazing track I'd like to get out on. I've researched DAS products and they have a kit specifically for my Cab. In fact, DAS is about an hour from my house and they have an installer located right near them.

Here's what I need some feedback on:

* Has anyone with a Cab installed a DAS bar? Are you happy with it?
* Is it truly "removable" or is that a stretch? I don't want the bar in the car all the time, just for DE days
* Will it harm the value of my car considering there needs to be holes drilled and backing plates installed on the floor behind the front seats?
* Is it worth getting a Cab on the track based on the less rigidity inherent in a Cab - meaning will I potentially do damage to the car with the loads that will be put on it

No need to give me the "buy a coupe" line, I've always wanted a Cab and I'm not selling her!

Thanks in advance for your input...
Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I know of people who have used the DAS in pre 90 911's, and were happy. I'd say go enjoy your car. You won't be fast enough to notice any difference driving a cab when you're starting DE's. You'll have too big of a grin on your face. The same can be said about older Targas, but when I started track time several years ago, one of the fastest guys in the faster group was a bone stock '84 Targa. As to drilling holes, it isn't the end of the world, but it isn't going to increase the value of your car.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you disclose track use to a potential buyer, it will decrease value. However, do what you like and do not worry too much about the next owner. DAS products are good but with everything, they might need some force to line up mounting holes. This operation should be much easier in a cab because you have more and better access with an open roof. Not sure if you need new mounting hard ware with every install. I would check on that with DAS.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

<edit>Sorry, my comments are related to a coupe bar. Cab bar doesn't have the no-drill option it appears, but on the plus side, is much easier and quicker to pull out with the top down. I stand corrected. </edit>

Q#2 - It is not "removable", unless by removable you mean 2-3 hours is acceptable. Do some searching as there is a thread or two on this topic.

Q#3 - Simple solution: Get the DAS bar that doesn't require drilling and mounts to the seatbelt reel mount points and the rear seatback mounts. It requires dis/re-assembly of some interior bits, but nothing too bad.

Last edited by kjr914; 07-13-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: stoopid moment
Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kjr914
Q#2 - It is not "removable", unless by removable you mean 2-3 hours is acceptable. Do some searching as there is a thread or two on this topic.

Q#3 - Simple solution: Get the DAS bar that doesn't require drilling and mounts to the seatbelt reel mount points and the rear seatback mounts. It requires dis/re-assembly of some interior bits, but nothing too bad.
I spoke to the guy at DAS and he didnt give me an option for a rollbar that mounts like the way you are describing? Anyone else aware of this version? Ill call them back today and inquire....
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
If you disclose track use to a potential buyer, it will decrease value. ...
I'm not so sure about that. Personally, I'd rather buy from somebody who has done a few track events because you'll know that they took reasonably good care of their car. They looked after important things like oil changes, brake fluid, wheels, etc. because they staked their safety on it while on track. And they likely had a qualified mechanic inspect it for their safety and (likely) fixed anything important.

And don't worry about a few holes in the floor. Nobody will care.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
I spoke to the guy at DAS and he didnt give me an option for a rollbar that mounts like the way you are describing? Anyone else aware of this version? Ill call them back today and inquire....
This:
https://www.dassport.com/store/produ...-1989-to-%2798
Note the "wings" on the bottom crossbar, versus the flat bolt-in plate. Search up here on RL, you can get one used for about $600, and they pop up all the time. Shipping is cheap/easy with Greyhound.

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I'm not so sure about that. Personally, I'd rather buy from somebody who has done a few track events because you'll know that they took reasonably good care of their car. They looked after important things like oil changes, brake fluid, wheels, etc. because they staked their safety on it while on track. And they likely had a qualified mechanic inspect it for their safety and (likely) fixed anything important.

And don't worry about a few holes in the floor. Nobody will care.
Yes, tracked cars in general get better care due to knowledgeable owners, but the next buyer has to be knowledgeable as well to understand this... BUT, you bought the car to enhance your life....don't let resale (why would you even consider selling it???) impact your enjoyment!!!!!

Before I was more knowledgeable, I looked at, and stayed away from, a car with "holes in the floorpan under the seat" (description from my Mom who was looking a car over for me on the other coast since it was near her. She actually drove the sales guy a little nuts since she gave it a thorough "rennfax", pulling up carpets, looking under it, in the trunk, asking lots of questions, noting any little imperfection and crawling up underneath it...Sales guy would never have expected that from a 70+ year old lady. Hilarious! Mom rocks! I digress....)
Old 07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a PCA national instructor and have had a 993 cab until just this year and now a 993 coupe, both with DAS rollbars.

Most of above is correct, especially the just get out and try it advice, though the link:
is for a coupe. Guessing he just missed that you are talking for a cab. They are VERY different, with no common elements between them.

Install is pretty easy. I did it myself. Biggest thing is to be level before you drill. I also saw that there was a used one for sale here, so you could probably save a ton, even with shipping.

I could install or remove in about 35-45 minutes, and did that cycle probably 30 times, as this is also my family car. Tricks:

Initial install: make sure it is level, and drill a small pilot hole in the center first.

Subsequent install/removal:
- Make sure you seal up the bottom plate with silicon or something, and then always mount the bar with the bolts from the top.
- When out, reinsert the bolts so the holes are plugged and the plate stays on.
- Get a short ratchet strap to slightly bring the rear bars (where they mount to seat belts) closer together during install and removal. Otherwise it is so snug it is hard to line up, and catches on the carpet. The ratchet strap cut at least 15 min out of both install and removal.
- Obviously do this with the top down and the windstop removed. I never needed assistance...I could do with just one person.
- Don't worry too much about the harness guide loops...they don't line up nicely with the seats anyway.

It is a VERY simple install/removal. I wish the coupe bar was so simple.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914

Before I was more knowledgeable, I looked at, and stayed away from, a car with "holes in the floorpan under the seat" (description from my Mom who was looking a car over for me on the other coast since it was near her. She actually drove the sales guy a little nuts since she gave it a thorough "rennfax", pulling up carpets, looking under it, in the trunk, asking lots of questions, noting any little imperfection and crawling up underneath it...Sales guy would never have expected that from a 70+ year old lady. Hilarious! Mom rocks! I digress....)
Too cool, Keith. Does your mom have a paint gauge meter?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:15 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a DAS bar in my wife's 96' tip cab.It is there just for safty reasons.When she wrapped her first 96' Tip Cab around a electric poll the DAS saved her life.When I removed it from the wreck ,30 minutes at most with the top down,the car twisted itself within 12 hours. The DAS unit only needed to be repainted to install in the replacement 993 Cab I bought her.If it took anyone three hours to remove a DAS Cab unit they may be a little slow in the head.It is removable for real.I would not let her drive a car that was originally designed over 50 years ago without it.Some of the stuff written above is absolutely incorrect and written by men who have never owned a DAS product.PM me if you would like to see pics of my wife's wreck.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:19 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by JPS
Most of above is correct, especially the just get out and try it advice, though the link:

is for a coupe. Guessing he just missed that you are talking for a cab.
argh! You caught me in a stupid moment not doing my homework... I had forgotten about the cab back seats being different, thus the mounting points. (the webpage title doesn't discern cab/coupe "964 - 993 Porsche DAS Sport Bolt-In Roll Bar 1989 to '98", but if I'd read the first sentance...ugh). I stand corrected.

As well, I was quoting removal time for a Coupe bolt-in-removable bar. Glad to hear the cab is much easier. I stand corrected again....

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Too cool, Keith. Does your mom have a paint gauge meter?
Nope, but a pretty good eye for detail! I was overly impressed with her thorough-ness, given that she isn't a "car person" at all. Guess she was just takin care of her lil' boy...

And now, back to cabs and DAS bars....
Old 07-13-2012, 05:36 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I have a DAS bar in my wife's 96' tip cab.It is there just for safty reasons.When she wrapped her first 96' Tip Cab around a electric poll the DAS saved her life.When I removed it from the wreck ,30 minutes at most with the top down,the car twisted itself within 12 hours. The DAS unit only needed to be repainted to install in the replacement 993 Cab I bought her.If it took anyone three hours to remove a DAS Cab unit they may be a little slow in the head.It is removable for real.I would not let her drive a car that was originally designed over 50 years ago without it.Some of the stuff written above is absolutely incorrect and written by men who have never owned a DAS product.PM me if you would like to see pics of my wife's wreck.
^^^^Charming as ever I see...

You sir are incorrect as well...I do own a DAS bar. As I wrote above, my experience is with the bolt-in-removable Coupe bar. Since the OP was talking about a cab (which is a bit different), I stand corrected on a few points (see above post).

Good to hear that the bar really did its job for your wife.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics sent to Mike Pezely as per his PM request. Hopefully he will post them. DAS could make good use of them as a promotional tool.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JPS
I'm a PCA national instructor and have had a 993 cab until just this year and now a 993 coupe, both with DAS rollbars.

is for a coupe. Guessing he just missed that you are talking for a cab. They are VERY different, with no common elements between them.

Install is pretty easy. I did it myself. Biggest thing is to be level before you drill. I also saw that there was a used one for sale here, so you could probably save a ton, even with shipping.

I could install or remove in about 35-45 minutes, and did that cycle probably 30 times, as this is also my family car. Tricks:

Initial install: make sure it is level, and drill a small pilot hole in the center first.

Subsequent install/removal:
- Make sure you seal up the bottom plate with silicon or something, and then always mount the bar with the bolts from the top.
- When out, reinsert the bolts so the holes are plugged and the plate stays on.
- Get a short ratchet strap to slightly bring the rear bars (where they mount to seat belts) closer together during install and removal. Otherwise it is so snug it is hard to line up, and catches on the carpet. The ratchet strap cut at least 15 min out of both install and removal.
- Obviously do this with the top down and the windstop removed. I never needed assistance...I could do with just one person.
- Don't worry too much about the harness guide loops...they don't line up nicely with the seats anyway.

That's great feedback....and its coming from a national PCA Instructor so that holds alot of weight in my eyes. Appreciate all the comments. Im not the most handy cat out there and when we're talking about drilling HOLES in the car,id just assume eave that to the pros,im happy to stroke the check on that one
Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Thats quite a testimonial and im glad your wife was ok after such a horrendous wreck. The 993 is my weekend car and my wife rarely rides in it let alone drives it since she cant drive a manual,lol! My kids ride in more than my wife,both are old enough (by VA law) to ride in the front,but my preference is for them to be in the back,which of course is not ideal with the bar installed. So its either let them both ride in back with the bar removed or let one ride at a time in front with it installed I guess....

Quick Reply: Need feedback on rollbar install...