Sponsored by:

Winter Project 12 Complete!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Winter Project 12 Complete!

Each winter comes around, and like many of you I start thinking of what to do with my car in the off season. I try to DIY when I can but this year the level of expertise was such that I called in the professionals at RothSport. It took some time to get done, but I'm very pleased with the result. The drive from Portland to home was a blast. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works well for me. Now to put some high density padding on the bars and go autocross.

Here's what I had done:

* Clubsport roll cage
* Paint interior after caging
* Sunroof delete
* Regear
* Convert nose of transmission to 2WD with RS mount

And of course some pictures of the handy work:
Sunroof delete:

Cage:

Jeff at RothSport:

Gears:
Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollie
Each winter comes around, and like many of you I start thinking of what to do with my car in the off season. I try to DIY when I can but this year the level of expertise was such that I called in the professionals at RothSport. It took some time to get done, but I'm very pleased with the result. The drive from Portland to home was a blast. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works well for me. Now to put some high density padding on the bars and go autocross.

Here's what I had done:

* Clubsport roll cage
* Paint interior after caging
* Sunroof delete
* Regear
* Convert nose of transmission to 2WD with RS mount

And of course some pictures of the handy work:
Sunroof delete:

Cage:

Jeff at RothSport:

Gears:
Beautiful job!!!, Where did you pick up a CS cage?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Beautiful job!!!, Where did you pick up a CS cage?
I guess I should've said CS style cage. Rothsport has a cage kit (http://rothsport.com/Products/Chassi...l-Cage-Kit.htm) that I had them use a single diagonal instead of their standard x-brace. The kit comes in two wall thicknesses (1.5x0.095 and 1.5x0.120), I went with the thicker wall just to be on the safe side of the rules at the expense of some weight.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:37 PM
geordie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Nollie;9668213]Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works well for me.

That is absolutely my cup of Darjeeling!

I recently did a full interior strip (back to metal) and had Jeff do a ton of work on my car including installation of a Heigo Clubsport, Pole Position's, Schroth belts etc.

He did a wonderful job but I do regret not going for the full N-GT treatment with the sunroof delete and Rothsport cage. Oh well, next time ...
Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 AM
lopro
Banned

Great car, I love the additions

Looks like a perfect track day toy. Are you thinking of bolting on some overflairs and shave the bumperettes?

Great shave job on the roof, looks seamless Congratulations you must be so happy. If I owned a 993 in such condition I would be more than proud

enjoy and thanks for posting. I love the seats and stearing wheel. Perfect choice.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by geordie
That is absolutely my cup of Darjeeling!

I recently did a full interior strip (back to metal) and had Jeff do a ton of work on my car including installation of a Heigo Clubsport, Pole Position's, Schroth belts etc.

He did a wonderful job but I do regret not going for the full N-GT treatment with the sunroof delete and Rothsport cage. Oh well, next time ...
Thanks There's always the next time at RothSport, so many goodies to choose from, lol.

Originally Posted by lopro
Great car, I love the additions

Looks like a perfect track day toy. Are you thinking of bolting on some overflairs and shave the bumperettes?

Great shave job on the roof, looks seamless Congratulations you must be so happy. If I owned a 993 in such condition I would be more than proud

enjoy and thanks for posting. I love the seats and stearing wheel. Perfect choice.
Thanks, I looked it over really close and can't tell where the new roof skin begins and ends. I had Jeff point out where the cuts were made. I've always kept gt2 body work in the back of my mind of where I might go, but this is a long process of mods. Right now I'm kind of enjoying the "monster within" look the car has going - mild mannered C4S by day, track toy by weekend. Bumperette delete will happen for sure eventually though.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 250 Posts

very impressive work - well done.

If you can share more info how the sunroof delete was done, I would very much appreciate it. Does it meet your expectations? What was the main purpose for doing this?

Beautiful work!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I really like the fit of that cage, they did a great job!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Great work, looks like a fun car to drive.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM
mlnr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

very cool, looks great!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by os993
very impressive work - well done.

If you can share more info how the sunroof delete was done, I would very much appreciate it. Does it meet your expectations? What was the main purpose for doing this?

Beautiful work!
RothSport could speak to it better but what I understand from the process is they cut the roof a bit down on each pillar and then undue the pinch weld along the rain gutter to separate the roof skin. They then put a new roof skin on that doesn't have a sunroof and weld it back into place. The roof is great and definitely meets my expectations. The roof was done for weight and minimal space improvement, the cage was added on since I was repainting the interior anyway and I didn't want to tear it apart again later. The car plays primarily at autocross but it'll move to the big track some day.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by os993
What was the main purpose for doing this?
One loses 52 lbs at the top of the car and picks up 1.5" of headroom,...
Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome, very cool. Have you thought about adding the rothsport shifter? I've found it to be a huge improvement over the stock shifter with the rennline **** (which I had previously).
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
geordie
Pro

I agree with Don.

I had Jeff install his Rothsport billet shifter with the FDM "Goldenrod" and forward rod package. It's brilliant - I change gears just for the joy of it.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the sunroof delete. Out of curiosity, about how much does a sunroof delete job cost?

Quick Reply: Winter Project 12 Complete!