Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Dave

Have to disagree with you.

I have a good deal of experience, and success, driving in competition in everything from a light rain to a frog choker (on the left in the pic). I tell you this in hopes my opinion will carry a little weight with you.

You can feel when a tire is about to lose it, without throwing it out of control in some ham-fisted manner.

And you can certainly tell if one tire inspires more confidence than another in similar conditions. (You ought to experience Hoosier Rains!!!)

You're in Colorado -- a good analogy is driving in the snow, you can feel little slips and losses in traction without the car being in a broad slide. No way are you an out of control ***** (BTW, IMHO snow is the best car-control clinic there is.)

I'm surprised no one has called Quadcammer on the inherent hypocrisy in his post.

According to Quadcammer, exploiting the limits of Sumis on the street means you're driving like a *****.
Quadcammer admits to having done stupid stuff to Sumis to get them unglued.

So by his own admission, Quadcammer is driving like a *****...
Right, you begin to feel when a tire is about to lose it as you approach its limits. I argue that doing this on the street, in the rain, is not a really great idea, especially for folks not as experienced as you.

Have I driven like a ***** in the past...hell yes! Do I make it a point not to do it in the rain? Yes. Do I try to avoid it these days? yes.

This was not meant to be as big a dig as boulder is taking it, just a reminder that things can go bad fast in the rain, especially in an *** heavy 911.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boulder...I have sumis and love them in the rain. Yes, I am a ***** too! Too bad that almost every benign thread that QC gets on turns into a bunch of nice guys arguing. I think everyone should ignore him and maybe he will disappear.

I have had my Sumis for over a year in many conditions and cannot say enough about them...great tires at a great price.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Right, you begin to feel when a tire is about to lose it as you approach its limits. I argue that doing this on the street, in the rain, is not a really great idea, especially for folks not as experienced as you.

Have I driven like a ***** in the past...hell yes! Do I make it a point not to do it in the rain? Yes. Do I try to avoid it these days? yes.

This was not meant to be as big a dig as boulder is taking it, just a reminder that things can go bad fast in the rain, especially in an *** heavy 911.
Thanks for the above, and some good points.

As I said above to Mark, I think it's a good to leave yourself a safety cushion. These cars are still a hoot, even at 7/10ths. I agree that things can go bad very quickly in the rain. (A lesson I learned at 17, long ago.) And multiplied when the motor is hung like a pendulum out back

I do think that using a word like "*****" does tend to make digs rather large, wehther intended or not. JMHO

Old 07-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I do think that using a word like "*****" does tend to make digs rather large, wehther intended or not. JMHO

You are right, and I admitted above it was probably harsh.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

"Probably"?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

You did, sorry. It was posted while I was typing.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Starting to sound like a thread on a Mercedes site.......
Old 07-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tempest in a teapot.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:47 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave

Have to disagree with you.

I have a good deal of experience, and success, driving in competition in everything from a light rain to a frog choker (on the left in the pic). I tell you this in hopes my opinion will carry a little weight with you.

You can feel when a tire is about to lose it, without throwing it out of control in some ham-fisted manner.

And you can certainly tell if one tire inspires more confidence than another in similar conditions. (You ought to experience Hoosier Rains!!!)

You're in Colorado -- a good analogy is driving in the snow, you can feel little slips and losses in traction without the car being in a broad slide. No way are you an out of control ***** (BTW, IMHO snow is the best car-control clinic there is.)

I'm surprised no one has called Quadcammer on the inherent hypocrisy in his post.

According to Quadcammer, exploiting the limits of Sumis on the street means you're driving like a *****.
Quadcammer admits to having done stupid stuff to Sumis to get them unglued.

So by his own admission, Quadcammer is driving like a *****...
Yes Mike, I know what you're saying. I don't think I have your experience, but I do have 8 years of 911 track driving on everything from Toyo streets to Hoosier slicks. Once you learn a particular tire's characteristics, you can tell when they're very close to the limit.

The point of my post was to try to explain to BB why QC made the ***** comment. I think it could have been worded better, but I did agree with his point about driving at or beyond the limit of adhesion on public roads.

I had P0's on my C4S, and recently replaced them with sumi IIIZ's. I haven't run them in the rain yet, but will probably have an opportunity for that when I do a 4k mile road trip next month to the PNW. I found the P0's to be a little noisy but that may have been because the rears were at the wear limit. The IIIz's were surprisingly affordable. I hope they're as good as everyone says.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Yes Mike, I know what you're saying. I don't think I have your experience, but I do have 8 years of 911 track driving on everything from Toyo streets to Hoosier slicks. Once you learn a particular tire's characteristics, you can tell when they're very close to the limit.

The point of my post was to try to explain to BB why QC made the ***** comment. I think it could have been worded better, but I did agree with his point about driving at or beyond the limit of adhesion on public roads.

I had P0's on my C4S, and recently replaced them with sumi IIIZ's. I haven't run them in the rain yet, but will probably have an opportunity for that when I do a 4k mile road trip next month to the PNW. I found the P0's to be a little noisy but that may have been because the rears were at the wear limit. The IIIz's were surprisingly affordable. I hope they're as good as everyone says.
Dave

Eight years is a huge amount of track experience. As for the Hoosiers, they are the crack cocaine of club racing. Huge grip, but it's gotten so that the minimum for many "stock" classes is a new set every weekend. Gets rather expensive rather quickly. (But then no one every said racing would be cheap...) I like that some of the classes have gone to spec tires that are more durable.

Everyone seems to be really pleased with the performance and value of the Sumis. Will have to go that route for the next set of 993 tires.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 PM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing to hear is that you guys are finally getting some rain!!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my Sumi's, they're great in the wet. Very sure-footed, even when I drive like a *****. The current set of Sumi's has gone 20k+ miles, I just can't seem to kill them.

As far as comparing to Pirelli P0 though, check the latest C&D (results below) for their new tire review. There are a lot of better choices out there for that kind of dough. Heck, PSS are $170 cheaper than P0 (set of 4, 18" NB sizes, after rebate) on tirerack.

Next time around I'll go for the best tire I can buy, PSS. If the car was more track oriented, then AD08.

Originally Posted by GTI_Speed
Here was the final rankings in case ya'll didn't see it yet. Rankings were based on dry/wet performance and everyday driving characteristics.

In order of placement:
1. Michelin PSS
2. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
3. Yokohama Advan Neova AD08
4. Hankook Ventus R-S3
5. Continental Extremecontact DW
6. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
7. Toyo Proxes R1R
8. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
9. Pirelli P Zero

Last edited by mongrelcat; 07-08-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Interestingly, the op never said or implied he was doing it on the street...Just that he was driving hard in the wet.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 AM
timabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1 for Sumi on wet pavement. This is me at my first DE a few years ago in a drenching rain. If you could blow up the picture you could see the terrified look on my instructor's face while he chanted "Please don't lift, please don't lift...". The tires held beautifully even with my inexperienced *** behind the wheel.

Name:  sumis in the rain.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  96.1 KB
Old 07-08-2012, 12:31 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 244 Posts

Love the sumi's! And I've had them all. Michelin's. Pirelli's. Bridgestones, etc...

For the price, the Sumi's are outstanding. For street perfect. I have a second set of Pilot sport for the track, so I'm ok with getting value for my street tires.

Full recommendation for the Sumi's!

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR ZIII in the wet