Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Sumitomo HTR ZIII in the wet

Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sumitomo HTR ZIII in the wet

Got a chance to drive the C2 HARD in the rain the last couple of days and wanted to report that these tires are very very good in wet conditions. I can't really compare the tires to any others, but I just can't get over how planted the car felt driving in wet conditions.

Anyone else have the same opinion of this rubber? or am I all wet

Bob-
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny timing, I had my Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs in the wet for the first time this week, too. They were great!

With that said, I feel the urge to bring this up...after chewing through a set of P Zeros in less than 5,000 miles, I decided to test out the Sumis. Everything I read led me to believe that I wouldn't notice too big a difference if I was only driving the car on the street. Let me say this: the P Zeros, even on the street, are NOTICEABLY stickier than the Sumis. That's not to say that the Sumis aren't good, but it is to say that the P Zeros are noticeably better.

Anyhow, I was nonetheless impressed with the Sumis in the rain!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by asofine
Let me say this: the P Zeros, even on the street, are NOTICEABLY stickier than the Sumis. That's not to say that the Sumis aren't good, but it is to say that the P Zeros are noticeably better.
Agreed. I have PZeros on my Audi. They are stickier than the Sumi's. But I really don't like PZeros. Not sure why, just don't like them.

I know that the Michelin PS2 are expensive, but you can't beat the overall performance.

Bob-
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

honestly, if you are exploiting the limits of the sumis on the street, you are probably driving like a *****. I have sumis on my turbo and I have to do some pretty stupid stuff to get them unglued (although a little understeer isn't too hard to find)
Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
honestly, if you are exploiting the limits of the sumis on the street, you are probably driving like a *****. I have sumis on my turbo and I have to do some pretty stupid stuff to get them unglued (although a little understeer isn't too hard to find)
Wow. Driving hard in wet = I'm a *****.

Where did i say anything bout exploiting the limits of the tires.

I have avoided confrontation with you in the past when you pick fights with other members. I figured it was none of my business.

You are a dick and you should be banned from this site.

I don't understand why the moderators allow you to participate.

honestly,

THE *****

Last edited by boulderbobo; 07-07-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Im shopping for tires now so this thread comes in handy. c4s with p.sports on996hollows 235x40x18 front and 295x30x18 rear all ns3. What do you fellas think?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought they "blow" in the rain!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:22 AM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to Sumis from ContiSport2s and for the price I love the Sumis. I drive my 993 (C2) as a daily driver and living in the PNW we get alot of rain, no issues with these tires rain/shine, even when I drive like a *****

Highly recommend them if your looking for a great affordable street tire.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
You implied it. You agreed with asofine that the P0's were noticeably stickier than the Sumis. There is no way to determine that without breaking the tires free of traction, because stickiness = traction. Hence, since you obviously did extensive testing of the two tires (because your opinion would carry little weight without it), and by breaking them free, it follows that you must have been driving like a...okay I won't say it.

Quadcammer can make some controversial comments from time to time, but I usually find myself in agreement with most of his posts. This one included.

By the way, calling him a d*** is a violation of forum rules, and can get you banned. It makes no difference who started the fight.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:54 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Hence, since you obviously did extensive testing of the two tires (because your opinion would carry little weight without it), and by breaking them free, it follows that you must have been driving like a...okay I won't say it.
You guys just make **** up to support your positions.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I have avoided confrontation with you in the past when you pick fights with other members. I figured it was none of my business.

I don't understand why the moderators allow you to participate.

honestly,

THE *****
Well, driving hard in the wet is generally ill advised, but ok, maybe you were doing slaloms or skidpads or even autocross in an empty parking lot. Maybe you are talking about hydroplaning on the highway. You didn't really specify, but the general way to test the stickiness of a tire is to find its limits, which is general a dangerous thing to do on the street. Perhaps ***** was a bit much.

You can certainly report my post if you found it objectionable and perhaps the moderators will ban me. Good luck in your endeavor and enjoy whichever tire you choose.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

You implied it. You agreed with asofine that the P0's were noticeably stickier than the Sumis. There is no way to determine that without breaking the tires free of traction, because stickiness = traction. Hence, since you obviously did extensive testing of the two tires (because your opinion would carry little weight without it), and by breaking them free, it follows that you must have been driving like a...okay I won't say it.

Quadcammer can make some controversial comments from time to time, but I usually find myself in agreement with most of his posts. This one included...
Dave

Have to disagree with you.

I have a good deal of experience, and success, driving in competition in everything from a light rain to a frog choker (on the left in the pic). I tell you this in hopes my opinion will carry a little weight with you.

You can feel when a tire is about to lose it, without throwing it out of control in some ham-fisted manner.

And you can certainly tell if one tire inspires more confidence than another in similar conditions. (You ought to experience Hoosier Rains!!!)

You're in Colorado -- a good analogy is driving in the snow, you can feel little slips and losses in traction without the car being in a broad slide. No way are you an out of control ***** (BTW, IMHO snow is the best car-control clinic there is.)

I'm surprised no one has called Quadcammer on the inherent hypocrisy in his post.

honestly, if you are exploiting the limits of the sumis on the street, you are probably driving like a *****. I have sumis on my turbo and I have to do some pretty stupid stuff to get them unglued...
According to Quadcammer, exploiting the limits of Sumis on the street means you're driving like a *****.
Quadcammer admits to having done stupid stuff to Sumis to get them unglued.

So by his own admission, Quadcammer is driving like a *****...
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

you are probably driving like a *****.

By the way, calling him a d*** is a violation of forum rules, and can get you banned. It makes no difference who started the fight.
p**** and d***, same difference...

Actually, it makes ALL the difference who started the fight

And if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it

Sometimes its more fun to just sit on the sidelines

Last edited by IamSMC; 07-07-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Maybe we can come to some agreement.

If someone wants to drive their 911 "hard" in the rain on public roads, please do not do it around me or my family or my friends. It is simply dangerous for those around you (and for yourself).

Mark
Old 07-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Maybe we can come to some agreement.

If someone wants to drive their 911 "hard" in the rain on public roads, please do not do it around me or my family or my friends. It is simply dangerous for those around you (and for yourself).

Mark
Good post, Mark.

Maybe part of the problem is how widely varying the meaning of "hard" may be to each of us. Is driving hard in the dry any different than driving hard in the wet? I think your logic would dictate you don''t want anyone driving near the edge when your family or friends are on the same road no matter what the conditions.

Maybe the answer is to never drive past 7/10ths on any public road, wet, dry or snowy.

Which ultimately means you need to go out to the track to drive hard.

So come on out. We'll drive hard, and have some fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR ZIII in the wet