Sponsored by:

Cleaning alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
How long do you guys go between cleaning your wheels?
A month. 6 weeks. Over a 1,000 miles.

It takes me about as long to wash the 4 wheels, as it does to wash the entire car.

Start-to-finish, tools & supplies out, tools put away, wash & dry, jambs, everything, takes me 2.5 hours. If one of my daughters helps me, I can shave off about 30 minutes. Wife refuses to help.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my car the inside or the wheels hadn't been cleaned in a long time. I tried a few things, nothing worked. Then someone recommended Sonax. It worked very well. I use the Adams green wheel cleaner once a week when I wash the car. I keep the Sonax on hand for when I need it.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
A month. 6 weeks. Over a 1,000 miles.

It takes me about as long to wash the 4 wheels, as it does to wash the entire car.

Start-to-finish, tools & supplies out, tools put away, wash & dry, jambs, everything, takes me 2.5 hours. If one of my daughters helps me, I can shave off about 30 minutes. Wife refuses to help.
hmm, that seems like a long stretch between wheel cleanings. I occasionally clean mine with spray detailer and a microfiber. Takes about 15 minutes.

Might save you some aggravation?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:28 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

hmm, that seems like a long stretch between wheel cleanings. I occasionally clean mine with spray detailer and a microfiber. Takes about 15 minutes.

Might save you some aggravation?
Oliver, keep in mind, my usual weekend drive is about 320 miles. I try to get one car each weekend. So I can easily get 1,000 miles in within 3-6 weekends, depending on which car I take out.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the reasons I love the MY02 rims. I cut a sponge in half and can clean the insides every time I wash the car so very little build up of crud.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Yasek
Another cleaner that I am using now is Sonax full effect wheel cleaner. It's a bit spendy ($15 for a half liter spray bottle, better pricing in bulk). It does a very good job on my FM-10s. When you spray it on, it is a mountain-dew color, like radioactive tank waste, then as it reacts with iron (from brake dust) it turns a blood red. Cool to watch, but it also does do a good job cleaning. When I finish this bottle, I'm going to try the Griots that Mike recommended to see how it compares.
The Griot's stuff is almost exactly the same. Just a lot cheaper. It even does the color change. I do really like the Sonax stuff, but it's to much money IMHO.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Well, once you get the wheel's barrel cleaned, and RejeX'ed, the next time you go to clean them, it will BE SO MUCH EASIER and faster. The Armorall product will help to keep them brake-dust-free for a lot longer too.

Simple Green will get the tar off, as will a quality citus degreaser like Wurth (also stripes off all your wax/sealant). For small tar marks, I just rub hard with RejeX.
If the wheels are bare aluminum, I would stay away from Simple Green, it can
corrode the metal. So be careful. I saw a set of HRE's get ruined by Simple Green.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
If the wheels are bare aluminum, I would stay away from Simple Green, it can
corrode the metal. So be careful. I saw a set of HRE's get ruined by Simple Green.
Fikse (the original company) used to recommend a 50% Simple Green solution to clean their wheels. It's what I've used for the past ten years on my raw aluminum FM-10 rim halves, and I've never had an issue.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for the SONAX stuff... It's friggin' magic! I'm a chronic skeptic, so I bought a small bottle initially,.. I just bought 5 litres of the stuff for the summer. It works!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Fikse (the original company) used to recommend a 50% Simple Green solution to clean their wheels. It's what I've used for the past ten years on my raw aluminum FM-10 rim halves, and I've never had an issue.
50/50 should be ok, but don't use full strength & leave it on there.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 AM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I have found that Rimwax is excellent for keeping brake dust from sticking to the wheels. Since applying it I find that any cheap alloy wheel cleaner is good enough when washing the car. It is like creamy ointment to apply, smells pleasant and after using it, find that a soft wheel brush and spray cleaner, then rinsing, is all that's needed. I have even cleaned wheels with a dry tissue before now! I have cup 1 type wheels not BBS's which I take it are more intricate? Brian.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Simple green dilution with a yellow green sponge, simple, works...

http://www.google.com/search?q=green...=1024&bih=672#
Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Learned this trick from one of the BMW forums. I wish I remembered where so I could give credit to the original poster.

Bar Keepers Friend is a mild abrasive / polishing powder. Similar to Comet but less chemicals / grit. Company website -> http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/car-care

Here's what it can do to clean up ~50k mi of BMW brake dust, this is the sort of grime that the various autoparts store sprays don't stand a chance against. $1.49 @ your local Home Depot.

I haven't tried Sonax or the Griot's cleaners - would they be effective in this case?
Attached Images    
Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

How long do you guys go between cleaning your wheels?
Wheels off...once a year, otherwise every wash.

I never got the need for all this fancy wheel cleaner stuff.
Same here! I've bought my share of overpriced products that disappointed.

I use WD-40 to remove tar and my usual water-based degreaser to clean them to as-new condition. As for the dark colored oxidation found in the narrow cavities of the spokes where factory paint didn't make it, I use another commercially available product.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:35 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
As for the dark colored oxidation found in the narrow cavities of the spokes and hub where factory paint didn't make it, I use another commercially available product.
An update now that I have the name of the product.

Swish Facto AT34 Aluminum Cleaner & Brightener.
It is used on aluminum, but I have used it on the back sides of my wheels, both on the painted and bare aluminum surfaces.
A wooden Popsicle stick was used to agitate the dirt/solution with zero detrimental effects to any painted surface.

No before pics, but we all know that it is next to impossible to get that grime out from the cavities on the back sides of the spokes and also the hub.

The smallest quantity of this product comes in a pail. Würth makes a product that goes under the name Aluminum Brightener. It comes in a spray bottle and feels and smells the same as Facto AT34. Pricey though for the size that you are getting.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:25 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol geez alex, you're making us all look bad here!

Quick Reply: Cleaning alloy wheels