Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Valve Cover Leak, case stripped not the bolt - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:56 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwolf427
I didn't want to do any drilling to the head, but if its really easy, I will have my brother give me a hand with it this weekend. He is a way better mechanic than I am.
6 X 1.0. Off the top of my head, unsure of the depth.

You in/around the Bay Area? You can use mine.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:05 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you race911, you are awesome. I sent you a PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:20 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For those following along, once I went into the toolbox I never need to go into and found the kit, is that the 6 X 1.0 Timesert kit comes with what appears to be the correct 10mm length 'sert. At least that's what I figured after pulling a 30mm valve cover bolt that had 10mm of thread penetration into the cam carrier.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:31 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

As a former machinist, the timesert is the best option fix.

I know you can create threads with JB weld, but this area gets heat cycled...Expands and contracts, which is not so good with epoxies. Besides, as Ken stated, why half-step the job?

Also with the timesert method, there is little chance of drilling off center of the original threads, because the drill bit will follow the existing hole.

HTH

Last edited by nine9six; 06-01-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:53 AM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
As a former machinist, the timesert is the best option fix.

I know you can create threads with JB weld, but this area gets heat cycled...Expands and contracts, which is not so good with epoxies. Besides, as Ken stated, why half-step the job?

Also with the timesert method, there is little chance of drilling off center of the original threads, because the drill bit will follow the existing hole.

HTH

Thread Repair Using a TIME-SERT Insert - YouTube

Hey nine9six,

Thanks for posting the video, it's definitely going to help. race911 is being amazing and sending me the timesert, so I can do the job.

race911 I owe you a beer
Old 06-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Out of the box thinking Possible Solution
The reason you all are looking at the inserts and fillers to make a thread is because you want to keep the same exact OEM bolt. What if you do not have to use the same OEM bolt. You can go one size up from metric to English just tap the existing stripped hole and attach the new English size bolt. The current bolt is an M6 30 bolt which I think means 6 mm diameter by 30 mm long with a 1 mm pitch. So use a 1/4 in 20 TPI (threads per inch) 1 in long bolt.
You just have to tap the existing hole with the 1/4 x 20 tap and voile just insert the English bolt. You are looking at going from 0.23622 to 0.25 inches. The tap should work without having to drill the hole. This is a very simple and relatively risk free procedure.
Mr. Gasket - Valve Cover Bolt Kit PN 2506 is a chrome plated set 1/4 in-20 x 1in with washers. This is just one sample of valve covers bolt sets.
When I fixed my convertible top transmission mechanism I found one of the bolts holding the metal cover was stripped. The mechanic that worked on it just left it in place. Talk about shoddy work. Maybe one of the reasons my cable failed. Anyway I bought the next English size up bolt from the original metric bolt. Tapped the hole and it worked perfect.
I know so now you have a different bolt so who cares. Make notes on you maintenance diary so the next person that works on it is aware. A minor thing compared with drilling and inserting an insert in the block. Doing this in situ makes me very nervous. a lot of room for messing up the block. If the English size does not work, which I do not see why not, you can always then use the insert method. You have nothing to lose since tapping the next size up is benign and will allow you to do the insert if you need to.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:05 PM
nine9six
Banned

Very nice of Ken to send you the timesert kit. The kit, as you can see in the video, makes the job very easy to complete.

Drill size for 1/4-20 is .201". If the 6mm alum thds are pulled, you are loosing significant thd depth with the 1/4-20 suggested solution noted above.

M6 pulled thds leaves the existing bore at 0.23622". This leaves .014" for the 1/4-20 fastener thd depth, or .007" per side; which is not a feasible solution in or out of the box.

Last edited by nine9six; 06-02-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

There are M7-1.0 x 30 mm bolts. You can go to 5/16 or even M8. The oversize bolt is a feasible solution. I have used it many times. If you go to a motorcycle and other car forums you will see that the oversize bolt solution is used frequently. They use M7, 5/16 and even M8 for M6 stripped bolts. As a matter of fact GSRZONE sells you regular valve cover bolts and 1mm oversize to fix stripped threads. So Heli Coils and the other insert solution is not the only solution. Whatever you fill comfortable with go for it after all is your car.
I believe you have to go drill and tap to 7mm for the helicoil. So just try the oversized bolt and you might not have to insert a helicoil or other.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:14 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Rdelvalle
There are M7-1.0 x 30 mm bolts. You can go to 5/16 or even M8. The oversize bolt is a feasible solution. I have used it many times. If you go to a motorcycle and other car forums you will see that the oversize bolt solution is used frequently. They use M7, 5/16 and even M8 for M6 stripped bolts. As a matter of fact GSRZONE sells you regular valve cover bolts and 1mm oversize to fix stripped threads. So Heli Coils and the other insert solution is not the only solution. Whatever you fill comfortable with go for it after all is your car.
I believe you have to go drill and tap to 7mm for the helicoil. So just try the oversized bolt and you might not have to insert a helicoil or other.
Im not suggesting an insert is the ONLY solution, but the first "out of the box" iteration was not thought through. Additionally, all the same fasteners is the cleaner fix...

At the moment, I am unaware of the bore size of the metal sleeve standoff in the valve cover, but the oversized fastener may create yet another issue with the fastener not going through the valve cover...

Just timesert the problem fastener bore and be done with it, as Ken originally suggested. This negates the need for an oddball sized fastener in one hole.

Last edited by nine9six; 06-02-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
See my post #5, above.

With a Timesert being so easy, why half-*** a repair?
I agree. If you can get a drill motor in there a Timesert is very nice.

Make sure the Timesert cutter tool has plunged deep enough that the Timesert fits flush.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:47 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I used timeserts for this same repair and it was easy and worked well, just a little nerve racking for the first one.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Leak, case stripped not the bolt - HELP!!!