993 Forum 1995-1998

yesterday what an unbelievable day!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yesterday what an unbelievable day!

So my buddy grant calls me Monday evening. He's gonna be away from his 993 for awhile. He's headed to road America to race his healey up there in mid July. He's looking for reasons to drive his 993 before he leaves so he asks me if I would like him to come by and take me to work Tuesday morning. Since I'm 993 deprived I said sure. I heard his rsr's Tuesday morning do I step outside. Butthere is a passenger in the passenger seat. ? The passenger door opens and jäger of speedster fame gets out of the car. I thought that the old brain is really misfiring today. But it was him in the flesh. I had planned to drive down this fall but since I can't drive. He
drove up here to see me!!! Jager grant and my wonderful wife Katie arranged for this surprise for me. Being the proper southern gentleman that I am, I only stayed at work about one and a half hours since I had a guest to entertain. We had a great day. Visited in the afternoon and went to dinner and had a friend with a 928 join us for dinner. I can't tell you how good all this made me fee. Lifted my spirits into the clouds. What great friends I have. And the greatest wife in the world!! Chuck
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Great story, Chuck.

Jager is indeed a class act. Glad to hear you're having a blast and enjoying life. I wish you continued good health and many more fun times ahead
Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted this on the "Porsche (PCA) Palooza..... Pictures?" thread:

You know when you see someone completely out of context, you think, "I know that guy from somewhere..." Well, as Jager climbed out of my car, I could tell Chuck recognized him as someone he had met somewhere, but couldn't quite put it all together. Once Jager spoke, however, the recognition dawned and Chuck just couldn't believe it. It was a nice moment, with Katie in the background grinning like crazy.
Later, Chuck's old friend and colleague, Dan (He has a 928) joined us and we went out for burgers and ended up sitting around the table for over 4 hours just talking and telling stories.
I have to say, Jager is much too modest...he and his wife are in the process of moving from South Central Alabama to the Western US, and he took the time and made the effort to drive to Memphis and back just to spend a few hours with Chuck. Nice.
So anyway, Chuck and Katie and the boys are headed North tomorrow for a much needed vacation and respite from the Memphis heat.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 315 Likes on 140 Posts

Wish I (we) could have made it too, but I (we) was there in spirit! I saw a picture of you and you look great. By Palooza you'll be back to it, I know it!

:-)

That Jag is full of surprises!!! You never know when and where he'll pop up. As for Grant? He is special too. He's the perfect definition of the word friend.

Have a wonderful trip!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:29 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 226 Posts

Great story. Always great when the Wifee is in full support!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaeger is one great guy - always (always) helpful. Nice story and a great day for Chuck. Very cool!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are awesome! That's wonderful.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Great to hear Chuck. Nice work fellas!

Last edited by FisterD; 06-29-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+993 Jager!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

That is awesome. If I'm ever down that way, I'll take you on a spin.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:45 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by csertich

I can't tell you how good all this made me fee. Lifted my spirits into the clouds.
Chuck-- Your recent phone call was the highlight of my week! I swear I could hear you grinning from ear to ear.
Originally Posted by csertich

I have the greatest wife in the world!!
She texted me, saying you still had a "perma-smile"
Originally Posted by RJT

I was there in spirit!
So true. In fact, at dinner Chuck asked what I knew about your Outlaw RS (as I like to call it). I gave a little update of your new gem.
Originally Posted by RJT

That Jag is full of surprises!!!
Surprise -- I finally got back to your PM.
Most importantly: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Bet you enjoyed the day off yesterday.
Originally Posted by RJT

Grant's the perfect definition of the word friend.
+1,993^^ Especially to the '993 deprived' ... he's such an enabler! Without him, this surprise visit wouldn't have happened
Special thrill for me was to spend more time with great RLers; my experience with Grant & his family was extraordinary.
Originally Posted by 3healey

as Jager climbed out of my car, Chuck couldn't quite put it all together.
He was scared that thanks to an uninvited guest, he'd have to sit in the back of a 993!

I have to say, Jager is much too modest...
I just follow your lead, bro! Even to the last minute before I had to drive out: you were the perfect gentleman.

One of many notable moments:
We've been planning this for 1-2 months. Finally things lined up, but we still didn't have a specific way to meet Chuck unannounced.
Just the night prior, I got to listen as Grant smoothly turned Chuck's phone call into the perfect impromptu opportunity to surprise him.

Jager and his wife are in the process of moving.
...which is why my wife's so astonishing for encouraging this crazy road trip idea -- even though she expected to be packing our house by herself.
Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

I wish you continued good health and many more fun times ahead
Despite his great attitude & intensive chemo treatment, Chuck received some tough news recently.
Between Grant's limousine service & surprise visit, here's to hopes of health benefits from "RL therapy"
Originally Posted by 600RR

Jaeger is one great guy - always (always) helpful. Nice story and a great day for Chuck. Very cool!
Sid-- Any RLer that's met Chuck would do the same when they can. He's amazing.
Scheduling obstacles kept other RLers away who planned to be there, but the stars finally aligned for me to visit.

P.S. Check for PM; been thinking about you & your latest pursuit. See you at July's PCA Parade?
Originally Posted by os993

Great story. Always great when the Wifee is in full support!
Katie's so good. Right now, she's leading the family's long-distance drive, & arriving at cSertich's family relaxation destination soon.
Enjoy the vacation, Chuck -- good for the body & soul

Last edited by curve lover; 06-30-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:51 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I posted this on the "Porsche (PCA) Palooza..... Pictures?" thread:
From the same ^^ thread:
Originally Posted by curve lover

Must hit the road for my drive home, but 1st: quick pics of yesterday's adventure to re-visit RLer cSertich:

RLers 3healey & DanielD surprised cSertich, & I was along for the fun
Grant's planned this for a month or so; with help from Chuck's wife, cSertich was happy when Grant's 993 pulled up to take Chuck to work.
...but surprised it already had a passenger on-board (me).

Grant's Zenith Blue beauty pulling up in the driveway behind Chuck's immaculate 993:

Chuck looked great & was all smiles, as Grant chauffered him to work in style. Who wouldn't be, in 3healey's "limousine!"

Quick Reply: yesterday what an unbelievable day!