Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 fix or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Since you have stated your wish to sell it, I would suggest selling it as a fixer-upper. Especially if it really does need a transmission from your learning to drive a manual shift in it.

The potential purchaser may prefer to have the work done to his/her specs., I know I would. (I'm thinking regear, and I'd want to be in control of any bodywork done).

You need to decide if it is worth your time, effort, and up front cash outlay in order to possibly get a little more for it.

BOLWS

Regards,
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
aviegas
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points. I will post some pics over the weekend and see what interest it sparks. I have kept it all these years, so I am not in any rush to sell it... who knows with inflation and rarity value . I worry that if I invest the $ and fix it up it may again remain in the garage for another 1-2 years...

As for my speed claims, there are two other witnesses to this feat! Whether or not the speedometer correctly measured the velocity versus the road & track report I have no idea, but i vividly remember the moment, - red line RPM in 6th gear, and definately past 170mph, we later agreed it touched 175mph... but heck it was like 3am and we were crossing the CT/RI border (arriving in Providence RI in what seemed like mere minutes!!) ahhh... the recklessness of youth!

Just browsing the web I came across this very cool graphic: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...0&d=1323231400

Looks like apart from the Turbo S that among the 993 model the C4 Cab is the rarest model. What is weird is that my C4 Cab is a 1996 model, but according to the chart there were no sales of the 1996?? Maybe just incomplete data... still pretty neat. No wonder the 993 retains value better than the 997!

Al
Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 PM
aviegas
AutoX

Good point on holding back repairs if I end up selling it... I think I will definately post some pics and post it on the classifieds section here on Rennlist (that is the right protocol?)

As for the speed quote, well maybe what we saw on the speedometer was off by a bit, but there were three of us in the car at 3am on our way to Providence RI and all of us saw that speed exceed the 170mph hash mark!! Its been an urban legend among my friends for nearly 15 years!

I was just browsing and i found this link: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...0&d=1323231400

I never realized there were so few of the 993 C4 Cab sold in the USA. It seems its the 2nd rarest of the 993 made (Turbo S being the most rare)... No wonder these cars hold better value than the 997!

Look for my add in the classified section. Apart from pictures, option descriptions and maintence/condition... anything else I need to discuss? Like I said before the only price guidance I have on this car is from kelly blue book which says ~$40k and a dealer who lowballed me $19k... so at the very least I hope I can get some idea of what its truly worth, ultimately that will drive my decision to sell or fix it up.

Thanks everyone!
Al
Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
vanguard
Instructor

993 can do 175mph? i would be pissing in my pants if i attempted that today, especially in a cab on public roads.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Everyone above is full of crap. It's a goner. But, I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for $20K as is...
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 624 Likes on 306 Posts

Rick nice of you to vulture over this car I would never even think that way
Rich
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Everyone above is full of crap. It's a goner. But, I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for $20K as is...

I'll see your $20K and raise to $25K.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
... only 4 miles per hour over the recorded Road and Track top speed in their 1997 road test ...

Nobody ever said the speedo in our cars are accurate....

OP: I am with the masses- Fix it. It may take some time and funds, but you will be rewarded tenfold. I am not sure if anyone has recently bought a 993 and didn't dump a bunch of money and time into it as soon as it got home. Mine only had 39k and it spent the first 6 months on jack stands replacing and updating. (Suspension, broken/worn items, performance upgrades etc) but the end result was well worth it.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
aviegas
AutoX

Thanks everyone for the advice and cheeky commentary too!

I am going to take some pics over the weekend and followup with a post to the classifieds section. I think the best advice is if I am going to sell it, then fixing it up should be left to the eventual buyer. If I dont sell it, then I can always go the fixer upper route myself.

Only 900 of these cars were made according to one website i found yesterday, making it the 2nd rarest among the 993, (Turbo S being the most rare). Certainly these cars hold value well... At this rate by 2036 it will be worth more than the $100k i spent on it back in 1996... yay!

Al
Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

You can always get a quote on the work needed and a PPI at Speedsport so there is full disclosure.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you thinking of selling your car befor before this? tif not, have it fixed.

[/HTML]
chuck

Originally Posted by aviegas
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have an original 993 C4 cab from 1996 that has been sitting in my garage gathering dust for couple of years. I took the cover off it last week and replaced the battery. I have developed what looks like a heat fracture on the front windshield and it needs a new transmission.

Car has only low 30k miles and is loaded. Still drives great. I called around to a couple of Porsche dealers in my area and it looks like $6-9k to replace windshield + do full tranny including flywheel. I also called a few 'sports car garages' and they are quoting like $5-7k.

So question is it better to get all work done at Porsche dealer for resale value?

Also just out of curiosity what is this car worth to a collector/buyer? I typed in blue book and asked a dealer and i get price of $38k and $19k !!! Talk about a spread!

Thanks for the advice!

Al
Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I have one of those as well - 1995 C4 Cab that has been sitting for four years now as I await the courts to settle everything. What a load of crap if you ask me. Mine has 82k and looks like it has developed an oil leak. I picked up a set of valve cover gaskets but have no desire to do anything but unload the car once I get the title. It will go up on eBay starting at $19000 one the legal system spits me out of itself. I can't believe that it takes so long to tell DMV to issue me a MO title, hell, the dealer is going to be sentenced August 1 (yes!) before I offically own the car if you can believe that. Why not keep it? I picked up a 1996 Cab in the mean time and lost my garage I was renting so my Daily Driver sits in the street, the 096 goes in the garage with my wifes DD and the 95 is at my sister-in-laws condo. Since it's peeing oil these days they are not happy with me. LOL.

Quick Reply: 993 fix or sell?