993 Forum 1995-1998

Climate control module issues and question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:21 PM
veblenesque
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Climate control module issues and question

My air conditioning works fine with both air conditioning buttons pushed in and with the fan on full strength (4). Any other setting and the air conditioning does not function - the air is not cold. Is this a problem with my climate control module? If so, has anyone used the seller ate1234 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...rvices&vxp=mtr

This seems quite a bit less expensive that a new module.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default No personel experience

But there is a 99.9% positive feedback score.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Mike,
If you go the ebay route, I'll give you $200 for your old ccu....

however, I think you need to do some more troubleshooting. Do you have a scantool or hammer locally?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 PM
01coccobet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you try Tore site?

He has(as far as I know)the best knowledge of the AC

http://www.porschehvac.bergvill.com/
Old 06-24-2012, 08:52 PM
veblenesque
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 01coccobet
did you try Tore site?

He has(as far as I know)the best knowledge of the AC

http://www.porschehvac.bergvill.com/
Thanks for the link, although I didn't find a problem exactly like mine. It does sound like there are a number of parts unrelated to the climate control module that can fail causing similar problems. Probably best not to start by replacing the entire unit.

The ebay link was for a module repair, not replacement.

Unfortunately I live about 6 hours from the nearest Porsche dealer. My best option might be to live with max AC (which is much better than min AC in Texas) until I make it to a dealer.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Mike,

Does the AC clutch de-energize when you decrease the fan speed?
Do the fans still blow when lower than 4 on the fan speed?

I have an extra working CCU which I can send to you. If it works, you send me your original so I can fix it for negotiable amount, and send it back to you , and you send the loaner back to me. If it doesn't work, you send it back to me knowing it's something else that's faulty.

I'm currently travelling and won't be back to HI till July 8th.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Mike,

I think you may misunderstand the snowflake buttons. Top one is the "Max" button. The bottom one does not need to be used, (if you want Max) as any setting is over rode by the Max button.

With the max button pushed in, you should have no control of the fan speed.

The bottom button, when only it is pushed, should signal the compressor to run as needed. You can control the vents, recirc, and fan speed.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 243 Posts

Your Climate COntrol Unit is porbably fine and does not need replacement. I do not agree in your thought of starting to find your problem by changing the most expensive component.
I will try to help you find your fault if you explain a bit more on your problem. As far as I can enterpret from your initial post you get no A/C cooled air when you push the A/C button? (little snowflake)
I'll bet you have one or two stuck mixer servos then.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Is this a problem with my climate control module?"

The 964/993 CCU is very reliable and rarely if ever fails.
As mentioned, a proper diagnosis & troubleshooting is called for.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
veblenesque
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
Your Climate COntrol Unit is porbably fine and does not need replacement. I do not agree in your thought of starting to find your problem by changing the most expensive component.
I will try to help you find your fault if you explain a bit more on your problem. As far as I can enterpret from your initial post you get no A/C cooled air when you push the A/C button? (little snowflake)
I'll bet you have one or two stuck mixer servos then.
Cheers,
Tore
Thank you and I agree. When I press the little snowflake, the blower will in fact turn off, but when I press both AC buttons the blower remains on. In other words, I can have the blower on, press the small AC button, and the blower will turn off. Press both buttons and the blower will turn back on.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 243 Posts

I'll try to understand your problem: By blower you mean the two front interior blower fans? (which you can set speed with the fan speed control dial)
And these turn off when you press the A/C button? Does this happen independently of an speed setting?

A/C Max button will set fan speed to maximum amongst other things. Does this happen when you press this button? This shall happen independently of the other A/C button.

You mention in your initial post that you don't have any cold air. Does that mean that you get only heated air, or that the extra cooling of ambient air is not functioning? Have you had your A/C system checked for leaks and refilled lately?

You could have your Climate Control Unit checked with a OBD toold to see if there are any fault codes. A Porsche dealer would be able to help you with that, or you could use freeware Scantool PC software or Durametric.

Cheers,
Tore
Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 PM
HFDesignworks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used that eBay vendor. They are reputable and have good customer communication. They worked on my AC unit and even replaced a few worn buttons. However, as it turned out, the unit was not the issue, so like the others on here are saying, check everything else first.

Quick Reply: Climate control module issues and question