Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Supercharged 993 first track test

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:34 AM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds killer and moves so nicely, great job on the TPC. supercharger installation I've been following this thread and really dig you're orange colored track wheels
So, your running approximately 7 to 9psi of boost, I know that 1 bar equals 14psi not sure what 0.8 bar equals?? Love the supercharger whine

"waaaaaaaaaahhh...AAAAaaaaaaaa!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Great mod, great thread!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to search for the build thread, The car sounds amazing. I love the wine of a SC. Unmestakeable Audio greatness. How much of an improvement would you say the SC kit makes on the 993?

Easy to install? Flawless direct power with no lag is great, enjoy and best of luck

amazing post - thanks, I enjoyed the video very much.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Nice video. I would like to hear your impressions of the difference before/after the SC.
There is just gobs of power everywhere. That and the noise. No other changes in my opinion.
I don't know how the driveability is with the piggypack system but with Motec you can make it as good as the factory did. The throttle response is instantanious and there is no jerking etc. when you lift off. With the smooth power band it is just a bliss to drive at track. And on the highway there is no need to downshift for overtaking anymore.

Originally Posted by trophy
Looking good Juha.....

How were the temps, everything under control?
I forgot my lap top home so I couldn't log the temperatures but I assume they were ok as I couldn't feel Motec pulling the advance at any point (we programmed safety measures so that when the IAT or the engine temp goes above the set limits, motec will pull the ignition advance gradually).

Originally Posted by evoderby
Juha, congrats on getting things running without any flaws!

The track indeed reminds me of sections of the Nurburgring, I think you have way too much power under your foot right now to really learn the track;-)

The supercharger whine is quite distinct, throttle seems instantanious....again good job, now go for 0.6 bar boost....you know you want to, yes you do!:-)
It is really a great track. It is not a very fast one (max. speed with my car is about 190km/h) but the layout and especially the elevation changes are awesome! It really teaches you shifting and handling the weight of the car. My favorite part is the left hander that climbs up the steep hill just after the paddocks. 4th gear full throttle and then suddenly you are on the top of the hill, the whole weight of the car unloads and at that very time you need to be deep on the brakes and transfer the weight to other side so you can start the next right hander. You can never get this kind of kick from a flat track. Just an awesome place to be!!!

With regards going to more boost, there is no hurry. I will first fine tune this setup so that I get the best cooling possible and after extensive testing, maybe...

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Looks great Juha, your sc whine is much more pronounced than in my car - sounds wierd but in mine it almost sounds like wind chimes....

Now go for 0.8 bar - - I've been tempted too.

Marc
Do you have all the sound deadening in your car? I don't have any (neither on the inside or in the engine bay).
About going to 0.8bar, yes that would be nice but like I wrote above, I will first make this setup 100% reliable.

Originally Posted by David in LA
OT but what kind of camera are you using, and how is it mounted? On a rollbar? TIA
It's an old sony mini-DV with a aftermarket wideangle lens. The support is hacked from an old camera monopod and just wrapped around the rollbar.

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Love it, seems to pull real good....

Big kudos to you and your buddies, to be on track right after s/c install without problems is exceptional.

Happy midsummer!!
Happy midsummer too Petu!! The sauna is ready so welcome!!!

Originally Posted by Paddy
Wow, that sounds awesome. I'm sure it's in your other thread, but could you post your dyno numbers?

Thanks, Paddy
381hp and 453Nm. I've got 400Nm from 2000rpm up...
Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Beretta
Instructor

Very nice to see your upgrade.

What track are you driving?

The Swede
Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 PM
SheepHerder
Advanced

Very Very Nice!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Do you have all the sound deadening in your car? I don't have any (neither on the inside or in the engine bay).
About going to 0.8bar, yes that would be nice but like I wrote above, I will first make this setup 100% reliable.
Nope - mine's all gone too. I am told the whine is very audible from behind.

My plan was to make sure 0.8 bar (stock TPC pulley) was reliable before upping the horses too.

Marc
Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lopro
Easy to install? Flawless direct power with no lag is great, enjoy and best of luck
The kit is definately not a "bolt on" but anyone with decent mechanical skills and technical knowledge should be able to install it.

Originally Posted by Beretta
Very nice to see your upgrade.

What track are you driving?

The Swede
This is the Ahvenisto track in Hämeenlinna. It is the best track in the whole country IMHO.

My lap times 1:30-1:31ish are well in line with the fastest 6 and 7GT3/RS's out there so I think it's safe to say that car is not slow...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Beretta
Instructor

OK, thanks.

I´m probobly going to Keroma in august.

My first track day ever.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
01coccobet
Racer

Sweden...

such a great place for many reasons!!!

great job.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Great job! The car sounds really sweet, seems to really go, and nice driving. The car in front of you at the beginning was all over the place, I think he was trying to push it but was at the edge a bit.

Great track - those elevation changes and short corners look like a LOT of fun - and I can where it really can unsettle the car so very good training.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Great job! The car sounds really sweet, seems to really go, and nice driving. The car in front of you at the beginning was all over the place, I think he was trying to push it but was at the edge a bit.

Great track - those elevation changes and short corners look like a LOT of fun - and I can where it really can unsettle the car so very good training.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks Mike!

The car in front of me was our BMW racecar driven by my team mate. He was actually driving a good line. Tommi is the fastest guy in the team, a really good driver, he is usually about 0,5s faster than me best lap vs. best lap in a 6hr race (depending on the track ofcourse). So it is really that I was all over the place. But I did that on purpose as I was tooling around, trying to get heat into the tires, I just wanted to fill his mirrors...
If you look again carefully the line he is taking and then fast forward to my last lap you can see that I'm driving almost identical line.
You might also see him lift the passenger side front tire in the fast right hander (about 100+ mph)
Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

381hp and 453Nm. I've got 400Nm from 2000rpm up...
That is TT power. Sweet! I had the pleasure of flooring my TT in first gear last week. The feeling, after a 0.5 sec lag, of getting slammed back and steering wheel being ripped out of your hand is hard to substitute..
Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Be careful on 1st gear hard starts on the Turbo - that is what rips apart the transmission. I will push it in first year a bit, but I am really aware that power can twist the mainshaft, so really don't open it totally up until 2nd or 3rd. Maybe I am babying it too much....

I do not feel any lag on my car, the power is very linear and no real feeling of soft spots in the power band. Is that 0.5 second lag noticeable?

cheers,

Mike
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Mike!

The car in front of me was our BMW racecar driven by my team mate. He was actually driving a good line. Tommi is the fastest guy in the team, a really good driver, he is usually about 0,5s faster than me best lap vs. best lap in a 6hr race (depending on the track ofcourse). So it is really that I was all over the place. But I did that on purpose as I was tooling around, trying to get heat into the tires, I just wanted to fill his mirrors...
If you look again carefully the line he is taking and then fast forward to my last lap you can see that I'm driving almost identical line.
You might also see him lift the passenger side front tire in the fast right hander (about 100+ mph)
I was more talking about his rear getting a bit loose (like at 1:58), you can see the rear of his car moving back and forth quite a it - good driving, I am sure he had to be on top of the car - you can see a few times where you were also correcting a fair amount. Nice driving, better than me for sure! (but that track sure looks like fun).

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Supercharged 993 first track test