Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which XM/AM/FM/CD w/bluetooth do you prefer? Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony or ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Steve
I too resisted the iPod for a long time. When I finally did it I ripped CDs while sitting at the Computer reading RL threads, a few at a time each night. Eventually I got them done and it is AWESOME to have near instant access to music I haven't listened to in years because I just never would have pulled out that CD. Just do it. I'm sorry i waited to do it. Worst case find a more computer savey friend to get you started.... or any 14 year old can do it.
Um, I'll think about it.

So... I found a stereo I like - The Alpine CDEHD1388, 22 wts per channel, but it only has blue lighting to it, no orange or other color tone that may fit the look of my car better. It's $299, more than I wanted to spend, but doable. I'm not getting an additional 4 channel amp so I'm relying on the sound to be loud enough as is. My current Nakamichi is barely audible with the windows down and sunroof open. Not good...

A deck that's about 1/2 the price is this Sony MEXBT400 for $169 and it can look orange or 10,000 other colors. 17 wts per channel. I guess I just prefer the look of the Alpine unless I change my mind. But, for the price of the Alpine I can buy the Sony AND the 4 channel 50 wt per channel Sound Ordnance amp. Hmmmmm...

I think the speakers in my car sound fine, but they're 17 years old and not much power goes through them so it's hard to tell. Was thinking of getting Polk Audio $99 5 1/4" speakers in the door (though Alpine's are $10 less) and Crutchfield said that the only speakers that fit my rear deck are Retrosound R463's in the 4X6 size for $79 for the pair.

Thoughts? I known nothing about any of this anymore...

Steve
Old 07-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Got the Alpine after all and the Pioneer Speakers. The speakers in the doors that they took out were MASSIVE! Never seen anything like it, nor did I think they'd be so heavy. Gosh, if folks want to lower the weight in their cars without going on a reducing diet, just get rid of these OEM component door speakers.

In any case, some rambling musings - yes, the blue lighting on the Alpine, well... sucks. OK, I own it so I'll live with it and get used to it. Totally doesn't match the car's interior and if you feel the need to say "I toooooold you soooo", then I guess you can . I'd deserve it. I was stubborn and just wanted to try this deck.

And, the way they hooked it is wrong. When I turn the engine off and turn in back on, it doesn't save any of my settings or the presets. You'd think they would have hooked this up correctly to begin with but it is what it is. I'll have to bring it back and they'll have to fix it.

Then they said the bluetooth microphone was missing from the box. They couldn't find it. I sent many emails back and forth to the seller and they said they're sealed by the factory and come in the black plastic carrying case. I of course found it in the car under the passenger seat. They must have missed this too. They'll hook it up when I bring it back.

Snafu 3 - the Sirius/XM tuner that XM sent me is of course the wrong one so I just tossed it. The stereo store ordered the right one so I have to come back for that.

Also, the sound isn't NEAR loud enough to hear my talk shows or music when the windows and sunroof are open. Not good. There's great bass in the doors now, almost too much as when my arm rests on the armrest, it thumps through my arm. Ouch. So, I guess I have to buy a powerful AMP for the car. They left the rear speakers in the car since rear speakers suck on this car anyway and I thought I'd just fade everything to the front. Now I'm thinking of getting rear speakers or a sub. Not sure which direction to go on this. The Retrosound Speakers that fit my car are only $79 and will sound just OK, but I'm sure much better than my 17 year old OEM ones.

A sub? Not even sure how that will sound. Not into booming base. Isn't that what that is for?

Here's some really crappy pics I took in the dark of my garage just now. New floor mats are on the way by the way. Radio turned off in these pics:

These Alpines have so much glare it's amazing. When the sun is out, I have to turn my head to the middle of the car to read the screen

Stereo is on now...

The red, yellow and green lights you see in the center are from an old, dead, K40 radar detector I yanked out years ago from underneath the car. One day I should probably remove these ugly lights too.

More pics ad nauseum

Hey, I've seen worse...

I realize that this look doesn't work for a lot of you. I realize you don't the blue lights. I can always sell it and get another head unit but I'm going to keep this unit for at least a year and live with it. It was $257 delivered new in the box. The speakers were around $79 delivered, and the install for these and the XM tuner was $190. I HAD to have XM and Bluetooth so it is what it is. It's too bad you can't change the blue color to orange or 1000 other colors like on the other head units though. Not used to the extreme brightness of the huge blue glowing SOURCE button on the left. Time will tell... What a distraction. When it's all said and done though, and everything is working, I'm pretty sure I'll be 75% happy with this set up.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 07-14-2012, 08:16 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the Kenwood 952 and so far its good. The bluetooth works very well. I like being able to stream music via bluetooth. I have DROID X phone.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhg41977
I just installed the Kenwood 952 and so far its good. The bluetooth works very well. I like being able to stream music via bluetooth. I have DROID X phone.
Sounds good. What kind of amp did you get - if any? Did you go with rear speakers or a sub? If so, which ones?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the older model of that Alpine in my car. I havent noticed the glare issue. Are you wearing polarized sunglasses? That could be your head turning issue. The polarization blanks out some screens. I dumped XM for Pandora streaming through the BT long ago, and have an iPod in the glove compartment with 1000s of hours of music on it if I'm in an area without data coverage...
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the factory hifi system in my car. Since I've already blown the "budget" this year I reused the amp and speakers for now. I have a similar problem as you with the volume. While I can hear it at highway speeds with windows and sunroof open, it isn't as loud as I would like. I will eventually get an amp and speakers but probably not until next year.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
not in my 993, but in my DD i use a Kenwood KDC-x995, its button and display color are highly customizable. plus the display graphics (or lack of them) are as well so its not busy... you can also turn the display completely off. one of the only HU's to give you:
HD radio
Pandora streaming from your phone
Bluetooth for calls
iPod iPhone music connectivity

right out of the box...

the unit does have some glare issues though when its really sunny and your viewing angle.
in fact i think Quadcammer has one in his 993 could prob post a photo. fantastic HU for the $.
Nice. does pandora stream via bluetooth or does iphone have to be cabled?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right over Bluetooth.

It's a fantastic head unit. I've had mine almost a year, albeit in my truck. It's the most customizable display and back lighting I've ever seen, allowing it to match interior lighting of any car. As an aside, its display not only dims but w the touch of a button the entire unit goes fully dark. Which is nice when you're driving to work at 3am, a dark cockpit is easy on the eyes.

The KDC in my set up is feeding a zapco and an alpine amp with rainbow components and a small sub. Sounds very balanced and clean.

Last edited by EMBPilot; 07-15-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:41 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Put a Blaupunkt 410 BT Toronto in my 993 earlier this year (http://www.blaupunktdirect.co.uk/car...bluetooth.html), also put an external mic located on top of the steering column for BT, conversations and sound clarity of phone calls are great. Has all the ipod, USB, BT Streaming, SD card behind removable faceplate, etc hookups anyone could ask for IMO. I do not have any additional amps, it pushes the Polk Coax Rears and front Polk Components plenty well enough for my tastes. Best Part, all in for $420 for head unit, F & R speakers and external mic, very easy and straight forward install.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 AM
jcontardi
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently made my C4S a DD, and felt I had to have Bluetooth an XM for my commute. I also wanted the head unit to "disappear" from the dash so as not to draw attention to the non-OEM item. I decided on the JVC KD AVX77 - no buttons at all, as it is entirely touch screen. It is gloss black when off, and has an orange glow that matches the 993 gauge needles when powered on. Also has full iPod controls. I recommend it.
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Which XM/AM/FM/CD w/bluetooth do you prefer? Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony or ???