Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Great stuff Bill, as always!

I had some belief in another reason for backing plates on road cars was to minimize water splash onto hot rotors.

Naturally the backing plates on the open wheel racecars are to control airflow, essentially directing airflow where you need it precisely. There is also a aero drag reduction component as well.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 348 Posts

front top is the ABS sensor and wire, bottom is the ball joint, both are pretty close to the 800* rotor

rear, top 2 ball joints for the upper control arms, rear ABS sensor and wire, bottom A-arm ball joint

I've been running w/o them too, also w/o issue that I know of, but have been feeling increasingly uncomfortable w/ how close these components are to the very hot rotors, heat sink when parking after a session is the big concern, so I'm putting the backing plates back on.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod

I had some belief in another reason for backing plates on road cars was to minimize water splash onto hot rotors.

Naturally the backing plates on the open wheel racecars are to control airflow, essentially directing airflow where you need it precisely. There is also a aero drag reduction component as well.
Like this?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:26 AM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod

Apples and oranges, but I yanked all four backing plates off my old car when I was building it up to install cooling ducts in front and aid in cooling for the rear. In the rain on the street I thought I felt a slight braking 'lag' which I concluded were wet/damp rotors (non-slotted/drilled in the back). I somehow managed to never have a rainy track day over my 3 years with that car so I don't know if it would be different with hot pads/rotors, but I also wondered about water splashing on extremely hot rotors being something to worry about (cracking, a significant temperature delta between inboard and outboard, etc). It could have been all in my head, but..
Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The rear plates protect the rubber boots covering the control arm ball joints from disc heat.

The upper front plates protect the ABS sender and wires, the lower front plates protect the rubber boots on the lower control arm joint and idler arm joint from disc heat.
Hadn't thought of that, looks like I have some work to do....

Thanks Bill and Cupcar for bringing this to light.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Every factory disc brake equipped road cars since 1965 has these rotor shields. They are there to prevent water splash from acting as a lubricant on your brake pads, and secondary as a stone guard. Remember that the manufacturers have to design a car to handle all sorts of conditions. Particularly in the area of braking safety, no corners are cut, usually.
Now I suppose a list of cars will form here that came without shields.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

No problems after 137,000 miles without them.
Quit a few track days also.

Kevin
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 AM
01coccobet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info,

now I know a little more.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The plates are definitely there to prevent heat soak to the uprights and ball joints (CV joints). They have nothing to do with water or stones.

We removed my front uprights after 20 years of abuse (last few years without the backing plates) to upgrade to RS uprights. The old ball joints were "welded" into place due to the heat. Interestingly there was not damage at that time to the abs sensors. I believe it also accelerated the failure of a rear drive shaft CV which ran dry of grease recently.

You benefit from cooler brakes and less fade. But on teh track when pushed hard you may find accelerated wear of other components. Its the usual trade off. Speed/reality/cost you can never get a tick in all three boxes!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Thank you Bill - Chapter & verse.

A 993 forum topic at it's finest; The car.

Quick Reply: Everything you ever wanted to know about 993 rotor backing plates