Sponsored by:

Noise from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Norra Norra
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from rear suspension

I have a 95 C2 w/ 97k miles, so I replaced all 4 struts recently and since then have noticed a low speed clunk sound going over low speed bumps. It's most evident when going over a series of bumps around 10-15mph regardless of coasting or on the gas. I tried removing the sway bar which helped but didnt elimiate the sound. I did notice one of the toe links had a torn boot but when I yanked around the rear tire I didnt notice much play, I did however order replacements so I'm hoping that will fix the sound. Could it be the rear strut mounts or engine mounts though? I can't find replacement strut mounts for the rear, do these pretty much last forever?

Thanks in advance-
Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Norra Norra
I have a 95 C2 w/ 97k miles, so I replaced all 4 struts recently and since then have noticed a low speed clunk sound going over low speed bumps. It's most evident when going over a series of bumps around 10-15mph regardless of coasting or on the gas. I tried removing the sway bar which helped but didnt elimiate the sound. I did notice one of the toe links had a torn boot but when I yanked around the rear tire I didnt notice much play, I did however order replacements so I'm hoping that will fix the sound. Could it be the rear strut mounts or engine mounts though? I can't find replacement strut mounts for the rear, do these pretty much last forever?

Thanks in advance-
There are many rubber bushes there that do deteriorate over time, any of them could cause the noise you are hearing

The first to go is usually the toe links, lowest and furthest back, but you really should have all of them checked by a pro
Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I once had a similar noise...the nut in the engine compartment holding the strut to strut mount was loose.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
I once had a similar noise...the nut in the engine compartment holding the strut to strut mount was loose.
+1...

Quick Reply: Noise from rear suspension