subwoofer install

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Default subwoofer install

Hello,

I am thinking of installing two subwoofers firing towards the driver, in the space behind the rear seat backs (would fold them down).

Does anyone know how much space is there before I hit the firewall?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

About an inch if you're lucky (but only if you remove the rear deck). Most put them on the floor/seats in custom enclosures or in the door.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with the right gear you might not need subs tossed in the back...
check out Jehnert's website. if you want to upgrade your audio they make custom packages for our cars, when they are installed properly, look OE. they have really nice products, i believe they work closely with BMW Porsche and Mercedes. If you installed XE200's in custom panels, you really wouldnt need a sub.

for me, the Fister II's is all the music i'll ever need
i love a great sounding stereo, but i cant imagine listening to anything other than the engine and exhaust in my 993 lol!

http://www.jehnert.de/produkte-doorb...che?lang=en_us
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up Another option

1996 cabrio

Last edited by 911Jeff; 03-12-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Do a search........Subwoofers or Car Audio Innovations.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 PM
serval
Racer

I love the sound of the engine too, and Fister IIIs are on my list, but I'm not always alone . I'm also familiar with Rod's CAI sub enclosures, but I want something more subtle. I was also thinking of a shallow mount sub mounted in the back of the fold down rear seats complemeted by a notched area in the fire-wall padding. May just have enough room. Something like this JL unit

Last edited by serval; 02-27-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:49 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Subwoofer technology has improved over the years, with many manufacturers making "slim" designs. Pioneer also makes a slim subwoofer. I had a JL audio sub in my previous 911. JL Audio makes good stuff.

I would be interested in knowing what you do and how it sounds.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best sub install I've seen was in an older 911. The sub was in the passenger footwell tucked up agains the firewall and pressed up back under the dash. The owner told me the shop made a mold of the underside of the dash and made the enclosure using fiberglass.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to ask, are you sure you need a sub? My 993 came from the previous owner with an Alpine deck, Alpine amp and JL Audio separates in the doors. When I turn it up, it's unbelievably loud with no distortion. With the bass pounding so hard, my doors review mirrors are unusable because of the pounding. And this bass is from what I believe are 5 1/4" in the doors. The only reason I'm think of changing it is because at low volumes, it doesn't sound that great.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ble2011
I have to ask, are you sure you need a sub? My 993 came from the previous owner with an Alpine deck, Alpine amp and JL Audio separates in the doors. When I turn it up, it's unbelievably loud with no distortion. With the bass pounding so hard, my doors review mirrors are unusable because of the pounding. And this bass is from what I believe are 5 1/4" in the doors. The only reason I'm think of changing it is because at low volumes, it doesn't sound that great.

I had an 8" JL Audio Subwoofer in my 911SC.

In the 993 I have Oz Audio Matrix Audio Elite component speakers (the original ones, not the cheaper last generation ones), I believe the mid/woofer is 6 1/2". Driven by a Lunar 2125, 125 watts per channel. I get as much bass from my current set up as my SC had. Certainly a true Sub would get even lower, but I don't feel I need it.

While there is no way to truly replace a subwoofer, good speakers and a good amp can get you darn close.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM
serval
Racer

Thank you all for the advice. My plan is to keep it simple and do the following:

2 Audison amps in the front - one 4 channel to power the tweeter / mid-range separates, one two channel for the subs

Pioneer DEX99-RS headunit - allows to set cross-over points right atthe deck for all 6 channels. Plus this is the only audio amp (other than the McIntosh amp) that I think fits the aesthetics of the 993 perfectly

Focal K2 separates tweeter / midrange

2 Alpine SWR - T10 - 10" low profile subs requiring .35 cubic feet sealed box - how small is that ?

Ble2011, I will hazard the following guess: the reason your doors are vibrating is because you are "feeding" low frequency waves (bass waves) to a midrange driver. The reason why the door buzzes ans shakes is because the bass waves energy succeed in flexing the enclosure, in this case your door.

That is why, subs are usually enclosed in reflex-free mdf boxes. Plus, using separates allows me to set cross overpoints such that each driver (speaker) receives the frequency range that it is meant to reproduce, segmented by highs, medium, and lows accross the tweeter, midrange and sub drivers.

I am not looking for boomy bass or spl records; I just want a system that will come somewhat close to my home system.

I will start this project in about 6 weeks - doing research on correct wiring and placement for now. I will document with pictures and post at that time.

Last edited by serval; 02-27-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:14 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

911Jeff -

Where did you get your mat for the RSD? I am in need of one of those for mine as my dog pops up there (loves to stand and stick his head out the window)
Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Madridcab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a small powered sw under the passenger seat, whe not audiophile standard, fill in the bass nicely
Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by serval
Thank you all for the advice. My plan is to keep it simple and do the following:

2 Audison amps in the front - one 4 channel to power the tweeter / mid-range separates, one two channel for the subs

Pioneer DEX99-RS headunit - allows to set cross-over points right atthe deck for all 6 channels. Plus this is the only audio amp (other than the McIntosh amp) that I think fits the aesthetics of the 993 perfectly

Focal K2 separates tweeter / midrange

2 Alpine SWR - T10 - 10" low profile subs requiring .35 cubic feet sealed box - how small is that ?

Ble2011, I will hazard the following guess: the reason your doors are vibrating is because you are "feeding" low frequency waves (bass waves) to a midrange driver. The reason why the door buzzes ans shakes is because the bass waves energy succeed in flexing the enclosure, in this case your door.

That is why, subs are usually enclosed in reflex-free mdf boxes. Plus, using separates allows me to set cross overpoints such that each driver (speaker) receives the frequency range that it is meant to reproduce, segmented by highs, medium, and lows accross the tweeter, midrange and sub drivers.

I am not looking for boomy bass or spl records; I just want a system that will come somewhat close to my home system.

I will start this project in about 6 weeks - doing research on correct wiring and placement for now. I will document with pictures and post at that time.
I believe the Audison SR line is made in China, just as an FYI. I think only their high end line is still manufactured in Italy.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:23 PM
serval
Racer

Thanks for the tip Kika - good to know

Quick Reply: subwoofer install