Sponsored by:

How long for emissions retest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long for emissions retest?

How long in time (or miles) do I need to drive the car before I can take it to emissions to retest after clearing a code?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Randall921
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's based on miles. I used the instructions from this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...des-ready.html

Worked on the first time for me.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Don't go by 'miles driven'. When I cleared the OBD-ii memory it took 700 miles of 'normal driving' for all EIGHT readiness monitors to go to 'set'.

If time is NOT on your side, then you DO need to do the 'bmw drive cycle' (probably two or three times) in order to get the readiness monitors 'set' within a decent time frame.

Reminder: on our OBDii cars -- there are EIGHT readiness monitors. The first 5 or so set quite easily (misfire, egr, etc.) but the emissions-related ones are an absolute bugger!

Note! - Most States' DMV stipulate that if you go back for a RE-test and if only 'some' of the readiness monitors are set (i.e. first 5 or so) - but the all important catastrophic-converter (i.e. emissions) readiness monitors are NOT set - then it's an instant fail. Also if you fail twice - then you are black-flagged - and will need 'remedial work' or 'extra attention'. (You do not want to go there!)

Gerry

Quick Reply: How long for emissions retest?