Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI - Drive cycle with some "imperfections" worked to get all codes ready

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default FYI - Drive cycle with some "imperfections" worked to get all codes ready

I needed to replace the starter of my 4S recently and did not have time put a lot of miles on. The safety inspection (Texas) is due and my OBD2 reader showed 3 codes ready and 5 codes not ready. My car will pass here with just 2 codes not ready. I tried to drive "the drive cycle" on Sunday afternoon and never expected that it works because I could meet all conditions but all 8 codes are ready. It looks like you get away with some imperfection when going through it:

1. Start engine, idle cold for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.
Garage had 120F and a idled it a little bit longer because the stop watch automatically reset ...

2. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.
This was tough. I needed to back out from the garage and had 3 stop signs before the I got to the feeder road to the highway. I clearly did not stay in the speed band all the time.

3. Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.
I fully met this condition both on feeder road and highway.

4. Decelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear for approx 5 mins.
I fully met this condition.

Following the start engine phase the sequence of test conditions may interchange.

routine will be discontinued whenever:

Engine speed exceeds 3000 RPM
Large fluctuations in throttle angle
Road speed exceeds 60 MPH

I fully met the 3 conditions above.

At the end this was "good enough" to get all codes ready. To be honest, I expected to get up next Saturday at 4:30 AM ...

Rennlist is just a great place!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:06 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

ive gotta try this. thanks!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

still don't get why you guys aren't setting your readiness monitors through normal driving.

Took me about 3 days to get them all set.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
still don't get why you guys aren't setting your readiness monitors through normal driving.

Not sure. I took the car out maybe 10 times after I connected the battery again which was not good enough. Two drives were quite long (60 miles each) at easy speed and in between 2 sessions on the track until one of my rear tires failed. In total maybe 200 miles which did not do the "trick".

My car has a GIAC chip with LMS.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Not sure. I took the car out maybe 10 times after I connected the battery again which was not good enough. Two drives were quite long (60 miles each) at easy speed and in between 2 sessions on the track until one of my rear tires failed. In total maybe 200 miles which did not do the "trick".

My car has a GIAC chip with LMS.
Yeah, same here. I put a couple hundred miles on mine before, I discovered that there was even a issue. Next time I'll leave the trickle charger on it. And carefully wrap the battery cables. Then replace the battery. Hopefully that will retain the "flags/codes" and keep the readiness status. Because although the driving cycle is doable, it's a major PITA.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have to set mine as well and I have almost 1000 miles on the rebuild, so obviously I don't EVER drive 20 to 30 miles an hour under 3000 RPM for 3+ minutes. Ever.... So, I'm just gonna get up early ;-)
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Depends on how you drive the car. Since I spend a good deal of time over 4k RPM when I'm driving I doubt they'll ever set. I tried it for 3 or 4 months once, no go. I have no problem getting them to set using the "drive cycle pattern".

Quick Reply: FYI - Drive cycle with some "imperfections" worked to get all codes ready