Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm LED question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=nile13;9605697] I'd like to unplug the stupid siren. I do hate alarms, any sort of alarms./QUOTE]

+993

we live in a society that protects things better than lives, what a waste of time and money these immobilizer alarms are
Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 AM
jaine
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI,I also had same problem with my last car I really try to know what's the problem here but I couldn't then I had to go to garage for solving this problem and the mechanic told me ,there is problem in the car's battery and the same story with my home's smoke alarms.But now I first of all check the battery of the spoil item then go ahead.
so thanks

alarm monitoring Kenmore

Last edited by jaine; 09-01-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Kiwiinchicago
Rennlist Member

I just discovered the double flash tonight on the car. Everything is closed up, so must be a bad switch.

Last edited by Kiwiinchicago; 01-30-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Kiwiinchicago
Rennlist Member

so I still have the double flash - no alarm going off.

Last edited by Kiwiinchicago; 01-30-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwiinchicago
so I still have the double flash - no alarm going off. I took my car to get the brake flush today and mentioned it to the shop - they said they would have to run diagnostics and it was $145 to do, so I declined. Any thoughts on how to isolate the problem without having to do the diagnostics?
Others have suggested that a marginal battery can cause alarm issues. That is an easy thing to check or to have checked. Here's a previous thread.

The self test will fault (double blink) if:
the doors are not closed (or a door switch is bad)
doors are not locked (or a bad door lock switch)
hood is not closed (or bad switch)
luggage compartment is not closed (or bad switch)
alarm horn is not connected
glove compartment not closed (or bad switch)
radio not fitted correctly (or aftermarket head unit not properly isolated)
parcel shelf switch on cabriolet
fuse 11 blown or missing
Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Kiwiinchicago
Rennlist Member

thanks hoggel
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 PM
bjornebo
Instructor

Originally Posted by pp000830
Before an extended analysis of the alarm is done check the battery voltage with the ignition off. A low voltage battery causes all sorts of potential issue. <12.5 volts ok, 13.5 volts better.
My LEDs are double blinking. I went out for a drive today (~45 minutes) and when I got back I checked the voltage w/ignition off. I got 12.2 volts. 3 hours later I checked the voltage again and got 11.9. I have gone out for drives of 1-2 hours in the last four days so presumably the battery is as charged as it's going to get.

With everyone home for Christmas I checked son's car (12.7) and daughter's (13.7) so it seems like my battery voltage is low. Could this be causing the the fault?

Short of putting in a new battery, what could I do to test this (e.g., connect a charger to the battery)?

Thanks in advance for helping a noobie.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

If you can start the car, you need to plug a simple voltmeter into your cigarette light and go for a drive, see if your alternator is putting out 13.5-14 Volts. If it is, then your battery just isn't taking the charge and need to be replaced. If it isn't, your alternator needs attention.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 AM
bjornebo
Instructor

Thank you. Something to do tomorrow while the turkey is in the oven, and I'm always up for an excuse to take her for a drive...
Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 PM
bjornebo
Instructor

I was able to gin up a voltage tester with a cigarette lighter adapter (see below) and some alligator clips.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...26+accessories

The voltage with the car running was 13.9-14.1 volts so the alternator looks like it's OK.

I took the battery back to have it replaced under warranty but they guy at O'Reilly said that it just needed to be charged. I put it on my charger and did so, and it still does not hold a charge. I need to go back and push somemore...

I obviously haven't replaced the battery yet but when I do is there anything else that I need to do to get rid of the double blink? I tried the key fob while the battery was on the charger and the voltage at the cigarette lighter was 12.7 volts, but when I locked the car I still got the double blink.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 PM
bjornebo
Instructor

Problem solved

I took the battery out and had it checked. It tested OK.

I verified that the switches on the doors and trunk/engine hoods were working (either door open would cause the interior lights to light; interior lights would light with both doors closed but either the trunk or engine hood open).

In a previous life the CDR-210 had been replaced with a CDR-220. I had read enough about the "green wire" on this forum to suspect that that might be the problem. I took a look at the connections in the back of the HU (fortunately I could do this without taking it out). There was a green wire attached to the right rear of the chassis. It didn't look exactly like the pictures that I had seen but there was enough wire that if cutting it did not fix the problem I would be able to reconnect the wire ends and be no worse off than I had been.

With the wire clipped the radio still works and the alarm is now arming properly (when I lock the doors I get rapid flashing for ~10 seconds; 1 flash/2 seconds thereafter).

This is a great place. I would not have been able to diagnose and fix the problem without the information on this forum. Thank you Rennlisters!
Old 12-28-2023, 06:04 PM
escar0le
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F*** immobilized problems

Have a 97 993 turbo. Life was great. Only issue with the car was occasional right door no unlocking. Has couplets on alarm . No big deal….

enter a new 6 month lab. Ate my only key fob . Wtf. … ordered new fob can’t get through reprogramming without alarm going off after first 2 number of code in.

I have chest pain now . Any ideas on where to go.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:08 AM
TakeFour
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Emergency room?
Old 12-29-2023, 09:23 AM
escar0le
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TakeFour
Emergency room?

no not emergency room but I did have to drink a bunch of beer last night too. Get through the pain. Any help in this area would be great not looking forward to dealing with the dealership. I have a suspicion they’re just gonna try to replace everything and still have not worked right? Does anybody have experience with the bypass options from specialized ECU?
Old 12-29-2023, 09:50 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 416 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by escar0le
Have a 97 993 turbo. Life was great. Only issue with the car was occasional right door no unlocking. Has couplets on alarm . No big deal….

enter a new 6 month lab. Ate my only key fob . Wtf. … ordered new fob can’t get through reprogramming without alarm going off after first 2 number of code in.

I have chest pain now . Any ideas on where to go.
Here’s another option for defeating the immobilizer: www.ezimmoblock.com. It’s plug-in and an easy DIY. We have a 25% off sale thru end of the month. (Use promo code EOY 23). You’ll still need to program a fob and we offer that as a free service when ordered with an IMMO BLOCK.

Quick Reply: Alarm LED question